X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Wingman quiz

Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
    Neal,
    Funny how you mentioned not knowing anyone in the F1 hanger. Several years ago, after we retired from racing, Patricia and I walked through the F1 hanger one late afternoon, when all the F1 “go fast” overnight mods were normally being done..... We walked up to a guy that was working on an induction lip on the cowl. I mentioned, “you know if you round the lips very generously, they will work better”. The worker, maybe the plane owner, maybe thr pilot or a crew member looked up at me and said “What the “F.... do you know”. I said nothing and walked off. We had walked about 20 feet, when someone came up, Oh Mr. Sharp Mr. Sharp, I’m so sorry, please come and tell me how to speed up my plane. I asked him, where are you running now. He said bottom Silver.... I said, “Sounds like you’ve got it ALL figured out, you don’t need my help” and continued walking. So.... Not only do we not know anyone, they don’t know anyone either. Don’t miss going to Reno. Amazing, it certainly is "what have you done for us lately....."
    Really miss the people from all the years, but that’s it. We have many friends from 30+ years of racing every Sept. You And Brigitta, are some that we miss most!
    Jon and Patricia Sharp

I spent some time in the IF1 pits on Saturday night. It felt different to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Hello Jon and Trish. It's nice to know we are remembered. In general I don't miss Reno too much, and Birgitta is really quite happy that we are no longer so involved. It took up a lot of each year and she in particular would really rather be wandering the desert than inhaling the fumes at the Races. Racing has been a great experience, and I value every minute I devoted to it all those years, but it was time to move on...

Neal
      Neal, the past two years when I've been out at the pylons, or riding on the bus out there I've overheard people wondering where you are and if you will ever come back. Trust me, you are not a forgotten entity, and you are missed out there.

Yes, people come and go, and there are lots of new people racing in the biplane/F1 classes. Still there are plenty of people who respect the knowledge and insight that people like you and Mr Sharp have. I for one couldn't pick either one of you out of a line up, but I would be thrilled to meet both of you.

Its been said that you can't understand the future, if you don't know the past. Its people like you and Mr Sharp who are the links to the past. Sure, you might walk in and have no one know who you are at first, but give it some time and someone will notice, and then everyone else will. Does that mean you have to be all in while you are there? Nope, it just means you can enjoy the event rather than focusing on a job.

Will

Comment

...You know, I'd been wondering what it would be like to walk into the Formula One hangar at this point. Five years ago we knew most everybody, and were even doing rookie profiles at PRS for Lista and the Formula Forum. The IF1 hangar was a second home. These days I look at the entry list, or pictures of the Hangar, and feel like I don't know anybody any more. Seems like we'd be strangers in there.

Thanks for thinking of us...

Neal
        To me, it sounds like you need to come back. I, for one, wouldn't recognize you, but I certainly know your name. Things do change and the IF1 class is growing, so that means there will be new teams and faces - ones who don't know you and you don't know them, either. The best way to change that is to come back and introduce yourself, isn't it?

And as for the Sharps, I would recognize them and have spoken with John on a few occasions. If he offered racing advice to me, I'd take it!

Comment

Hello Jon and Trish. It's nice to know we are remembered. In general I don't miss Reno too much, and Birgitta is really quite happy that we are no longer so involved. It took up a lot of each year and she in particular would really rather be wandering the desert than inhaling the fumes at the Races. Racing has been a great experience, and I value every minute I devoted to it all those years, but it was time to move on...

Neal
          Neal, I did the press thing for about ten years and it got to be a little much for me. My year was built around Reno, it was usually the only "vacation" I would get. It went from a labor of love to just a labor and expense (film days). I have missed a few years. My wife and I went this year for Saturday and Sunday, and we partied on the road with friends. So much fun.
          Steve Carter

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
            I, for one, wouldn't recognize you, but I certainly know your name.
            Somewhere out there is a lovely shot of Mr. Nurmi 'dropping trou' (an act that I call "getting Nurmi'd"). I think Mark Kallio took it. But it definitely show's Neal's 'better side', and you might recognize him from that angle.

As I recall, "I" was on the receiving end of Mr. Nurmi's grand gesture. Y'all remember that, Neal?

Hacker and I definitely missed you this year. Again.

Comment

Working...
            X