Jeannie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeannie

I'm sure many of you have seen this picture, or knew about it back in '81, or both. Still, I just saw it for the first time and figured there may be others here who haven't, so I figured I'd come share. Click image for larger version

Name:	jeanniesr71.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	242162

Re: Jeannie

Just about one of the coolest photos ever!

Here's some background on it

Comment

Thank you guys for posting this pic and story.

What a nice way to start off a Saturday morning.

Jeannie was another of the special planes that captured our hearts.

The chats "Go Jeanie Go" are still vivid in my old memory.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-30-2017, 08:49 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Miss Candace/Jeannie/Galloping Ghost was the stuff of legends. A whole book could be written about her history.
        Hard luck racer for Dr. Cummings, spectacular comeback as Jeannie. She made the 80's a lot more exciting.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I love that story!

Comment

When I first saw or heard of these photos I wondered how on Earth did they pull that off. Now I know, and it wasn't so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
              Hard luck racer for Dr. Cummings,
              Sadly, completely self-induced.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                  When I first saw or heard of these photos I wondered how on Earth did they pull that off. Now I know, and it wasn't so easy.
                  When I first found the picture and posted it, I hadn't even read the full story yet! I was sitting around drinking coffee the other morning, and figured I'd just do a Google search on Jeannie to see what kind of pictures and stories I could come across. When I first found this forum a while back, I sat here for a full day and went through around forty pages of threads or something like that. One of the few perks of being disabled is the ridiculous amount of time on your hands that lets you do stuff like that. Anyway, I've learned an awful lot here from many of the long tenured members on this site, and that's something I appreciate a lot. This story was one that I hadn't heard before after going through all of those pages of threads, so I thought it seemed fitting here. One of those stories that's fondly remembered by those who know it while seeming like something unbelievable by those who hadn't heard it before.

Comment

Great article, Jeanie was one of my all time favorite unlimited's. really cool to see alongside a SR-71. In reading the article,so things about time frame appear to be wrong. Sorry to be a "buzz kill", but it referenced Rare Bear holding the speed record for this category. Jeanie became "Specter" race X I believe in 1983. So, this formation had to about 1981/82 time frame. Rare Bear set the piston speed record in 1989, so the RB-51 was the record holder at the time of the formation. Sorry for ruining a good story: but...

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post

J Bus,

Thanks for sharing these 4. Love looking at photos from that time period. I need to digitized all my 35 mm slides from that time.

Comment

Working...
                      X