Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rookie question - Argonautís prop?

Default Re: Rookie question - Argonautís prop?

Excuse me to get into the thread.
    Some time ago I assembled a 1/48 Sea Fury model kit into Argonaut appearance. The way I took was to reform the original propeller from five to four blades. I reformed the hub also of course. Looks like an Skyraider prop blades.
    I must point out that Iīm not so a detail-oriented guy. It wonīt compete in a concourse, but it is enough for me. IMHO.

Somewhere I have pics of 232's prop back when they were experimenting. The trailing edge of the blades seemed to curl back on the rest of it. Very cool but I am sure it was just an illusion.

Dreadnaught has the narrow chord Skyraider prop on it right now. I understand that this is because of the stock (shorter) tail that is on it right now. The blades #8 used to race had the extended trailing edge trimmed. It is full width in the middle tapering to no extension at the tip and hub.
    The model that Brad Haskin built for us of Critical Mass many moons ago uses a Skyraider prop and it looks fine.
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by ZacYates View Post
    And you were quite right! I emailed and Joel Swager said it does in fact still have the Skyraider prop...but a narrow chord one. Brian Sanders then emailed too to point out the exact difference...will it be noticeable in 1/72, or do I have some work ahead of me....?

I've asked if she and Dreadnought have the same props - that may make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Somewhere I have pics of 232's prop back when they were experimenting. The trailing edge of the blades seemed to curl back on the rest of it. Very cool but I am sure it was just an illusion.
    The trailing edge does indeed appear to "curl back", as on the "flanged" prop, the blades are hollow and the front facing surface simpy extends past the point where it meets on the backside. So in actuality it creates a crease at the point it extends (when viewed from the rear) and the top skin continues to form the flange.

This bit of flange was ground down progressively towards the tip on Dread's original prop, which was basically duplicated as an experiment one year on 232 (The prop that was painted red with white tips).

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    Dreadnaught has the narrow chord Skyraider prop on it right now. I understand that this is because of the stock (shorter) tail that is on it right now. The blades #8 used to race had the extended trailing edge trimmed. It is full width in the middle tapering to no extension at the tip and hub.
    The model that Brad Haskin built for us of Critical Mass many moons ago uses a Skyraider prop and it looks fine.
    TJ
    Looks like you were a bit quicker at the keyboard than I was

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Looks like you were a bit quicker at the keyboard than I was
    This is the Racin' forum after all, eh!