Packard Merlin engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Merlin engines

Looking for good books on the Packard Merlin engines. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Packard Merlin engines

Click image for larger version

Name:	MUSTANG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	931.6 KB
ID:	228568

This book has a lot of great info on the Merlin and it's modifications for air racing.
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by invader28 View Post
      Looking for good books on the Packard Merlin engines. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
      This excellent book covers the whole Rolls-Royce Merlin development, not just the Packard version used in Mustangs. It includes the early single stage blower Mwelins, the early accessory drive failures, and a lot of interesting things. I believe it is the book that has the quote from a stoic Brit pilot when asked what happened when the gear train failed: " well, things went bloody quiet."

Comment

Perfect! both of these books is what I'm looking for. Thanks boomtown and 440 magnum.

Comment

There was a series of articles in a Packard enthusiast magazine (the Packard cars) back in the 80's that detailed all of the changes Packard made to the Merlin to fit American production methods and increase reliability. A friend into Packards gave me the issues a long time ago. Totally written for gear heads. Not sure which box they are in! You might be able to get back issues.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
          X