Gold race overview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold race overview

To sum it up, I think I've witnessed 22-23 Sunday Unlimited Gold's now, and that had to be the best yet. Action packed!

It was pretty clear to see that from about pylon 5-6 on the last lap, Jay had the clear lead. Some of the camera angles show this pretty well, as opposed to just watching from the pits. Jay went way HIGH between 4-5 to get over and around Dreadnought, and when he came down he was clearly in font of Voodoo by about 250ft. There wasn't any dramatic "inside pass". It was a clean race. Stevo held a great line, traffic considered, and Jay was obviously faster overall, but forced to fly a higher, wider and less consistent line. I bet Strega had about 20mph on Voodoo most of the race.

Both pilots did an amazing job getting around the field, while competing at full stakes.

It was fantastic. What a showdown!

-J

Re: Gold race overview

agree completely. When I saw all the discussion of that pass on my way home yesterday I was a bit perplexed. From Section 3 I saw nothing but a faster airplane with a less advantageous line trying to find a way around a slower airplane with a better line.

Almost every lap strega was clearly going faster than voodoo by the time they hit pylons 1 and 2. Strega started the turn earlier and would actually be ahead of voodoo between 1 and 2, but Stevo's line would put him in back in front by the time they hit 3. Catching up to Dreadnaught changed that. Lap traffic is part of racing, and James Consalvi did a better job of negotiating it. End of story.

Stevo is an amazing pilot, his line is the most perfect and consistent I have ever seen, but I think sometimes people forget that the majority of his experience is centered around winning by having the fastest plane, not being the craftiest race pilot. He has rarely been challenged by 2nd place or had to make a pass to win. This will be valuable experience for him, I dont think he will make that mistake again.

Comment

Best Gold in years. I think we ALL agree with that. Now....just to stir the pot a bit and do some Monday quarter...er...piloting, I think Stevo was interfered on the course and had a slight mechanical issue. I mean look how he walked away from the witch on the first couple laps. Flew a clean, low, OMG-fast circuit. Did Consalvi reel him in or did he dial it back a tad? Strega flew one hellava race and, like I said, the best final in years.
      Congrats to Team Strega and Jay on the win. Hope Voodoo comes back next year . And it'd be great to see the Bear and 'mate in the mix. Can't wait till next year. Mr. Button and Mr. Hinton have a score to settle.
      Last edited by V1670; 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
        Best Gold in years. I think we ALL agree with that. Now....just to stir the pot a bit and do some Monday quarter...er...piloting, I think Stevo was interfered on the course and had a slight mechanical issue. I mean look how he walked away from the witch on the first couple laps. Flew a clean, low, OMG-fast circuit. Did Consalvi reel him in or did he dial it back a tad? Strega flew one hellava race and, like I said, the best final in years.
        Congrats to Team Strega and Jay on the win. Hope Voodoo comes back next year . And it'd be great to see the Bear and 'mate in the mix. Can't wait till next year. Mr. Button and Mr. Hinton have a score to settle.
        I'm pretty sure Consalvi reeled him in. Look at those race speeds! Fastest race average on Sunday since 2009. And, in a lot more slow traffic.

-Joseph

Comment

Lapping Full Noise the second time (I think)

Will

Comment

Steven Hinton Jr flies a line around the course that's beautiful to watch, he knows the systems on the airplane because he actually works on it when it's not flying, that leads to him getting great starts. What he saw Sunday was a bit of adversity, it didn't work out his favor, he left it all hanging out on the course. Maybe that 8th Gold win for an Unlimited pilot is unobtainium.

Comment

I don't remember the Buick EVER being lapped! Those mutants were REALLY screaming!
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Working...
              X