Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 2017... Post your Pics!

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
    geeezzz Will; I know this isn't a competition, but posting my shots on the same thread with your work would be like me hangin' my kids finger painting alongside a Rembrandt
    You must remember that I started out where you are. Don't think of it as a finger painting along side a Rembrandt, think of it as inspiration and your own contribution to the art that is aviation photography. To this day I look at Victor Archer's, Neil Narumi's, and Tim Adam's stuff and often sit there and wonder "how the heck did they shoot that?"

Let me quickly jump in the way back machine and post a couple pics that I thought were cool from 2010. Shot with a 7.1mp point and shoot.

From 2012, with a real camera.

We all have to start somewhere. Please, don't be afraid to post your work just because you feel it doesn't measure up. This thread is here for everyone to post in. That way, in the future, if we want to find a specific pic from 2017 all we have to do is look through the thread to try and find it. If you wish constructive criticism on your pics, just ask. Hopefully the criticism won't be too harsh and those who wish to learn how to take a better shot, can.

Will

Comment

Well said, Will

I too would like to see more of what everybody shot. Good or bad, there's something to be learned from most every photograph.

If you don't want your work to be seen next to Will's, start a new thread.

Hey Will -- Last year you were somewhat unsatisfied with your percentage of keepers from your outfit. Has another year with this equipment changed things?

Fine work, by the way. (And a lot of work it is to do what you're doing!).

Neal

Comment

Neal,
        I haven't really looked at my stuff from the pylons aside from on the camera. With 6 SD cards to process through I grabbed one and got to work, it happened to be all my closeup stuff, aside from the Sunday Gold race. The Sunday stuff actually was mostly crap, but I'm going to chalk that up to just being exhausted, and having a really sore shoulder due to a bicycle crash 2 weeks ago (went down doing 40 mph, it was really kinda bugging me Sunday afternoon.)

We'll see how they came out. I think I got more good shoots from the pylons than I did last year, but I'm not 100% sure. I was a lot more comfortable shooting from the pylons. I'm sure I shot a lot of garbage, but there should be some really good stuff in there as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the detail I was able to get with a Nikon D810.

I have a feeling that all my closeup stuff will be were my really good stuff is. In the past my closeup stuff has been so so, but this year the weather really helped make it far more dramatic than in years past. Honestly, the stuff from Wednesday night is some of the best stuff I've ever shot. Do I have some awesome stuff with the big lens? Yes, how much I don't know yet.

Will

Comment

In my case, at least, if I didn't come home with a lot of garbage from the pylons I also didn't come home with gems. Extending yourself and your tools is what produces gems -- but there's always collateral damage too. The trick is to never show the garbage. Then everybody thinks you're really good.

I wish Connor had been able to make Reno this year. He's another younger guy I've enjoyed watching develop. Both he and Tim Adams excel at what you were doing on Wednesday. Was Tim there this year?

People should stay on four wheels for the month before Reno. I remember one year when a prominent Racer was unable to run because he crashed his motorcycle running Willow Springs -- busted himself up pretty good, as I recall. I've never been anywhere near 40 mph on a bicycle -- I'd be scared to death, LOL.

One thing I learned over the years doing Reno was to pace myself earlier in the week. Long hours and too much beer and Scotch whiskey during the week compromised more than one Sunday shoot early in my time at Reno.

And just be glad you're not working the pylons with manual focus lenses and ASA 64 Kodachrome. Now THAT is a learning experience!

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            In my case, at least, if I didn't come home with a lot of garbage from the pylons I also didn't come home with gems. Extending yourself and your tools is what produces gems -- but there's always collateral damage too. The trick is to never show the garbage. Then everybody thinks you're really good.

I wish Connor had been able to make Reno this year. He's another younger guy I've enjoyed watching develop. Both he and Tim Adams excel at what you were doing on Wednesday. Was Tim there this year?

People should stay on four wheels for the month before Reno. I remember one year when a prominent Racer was unable to run because he crashed his motorcycle running Willow Springs -- busted himself up pretty good, as I recall. I've never been anywhere near 40 mph on a bicycle -- I'd be scared to death, LOL.

One thing I learned over the years doing Reno was to pace myself earlier in the week. Long hours and too much beer and Scotch whiskey during the week compromised more than one Sunday shoot early in my time at Reno.

And just be glad you're not working the pylons with manual focus lenses and ASA 64 Kodachrome. Now THAT is a learning experience!

Neal
            I shot from all over the place this year. I got some stuff from the Fenceline Wednesday, the pits Wednesday night, the pits early Thursday, the rest of the ramp all day thursday, Friday I shot an invite only sunrise shoot down on the east end of the L139, and caught the A10s and Harriers as well, west side in the morning, then Pylon 4 in the afternoon. Following the pylon 4 shoot I was able to arrange my first photoshoot with Shanty Irish. (Thank you Dusty.) Saturday I shot a little of the show, then up to the hillside, then back to the pits. Sunday I got to shoot the start of the F1 gold race, then was out at the east pylon for the afternoon. IT was non stop. It was a fantastic experience. That said, I didn't get as much from the pylons as I did last year, but covered all the bases.

The bike crash was the first time I've gone down in 17 years. It was bad luck. I'm just lucky that I found the smoothest part of the 30 mile ride to lay the bike down on. If you think 40 is fast, I usually hit close to 50 on many descents, and if the wind is right on Oakville Grade, I'll break 60. Needless to say, it wasn't what I had in mind for a Wednesday evening.

Back on topic...

Will

Comment

Will

Comment

Young Man,

Absolutely stunning. You are there my friend.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I do love those Curtiss Electric Props...
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Shanty_Irish_P-51A_Pits_nose_med.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	228571

Name:	Kittyhawk_Sunrise_med.jpg
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	228572
                  Last edited by L.E.D.; 09-24-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I'm in love with Shanty Irish. What a stunningly beautiful aircraft!

Also I love the two (late afternoon?) shots of Full Noise. Very moody.
                    Zac in NZ

Comment

Speaking of which .. might as well get the rest of the Allison engines up here..

Name:	Full_Noise_Reno_pits_med.jpg
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	228573Click image for larger version

Name:	P-38_reno_pits_med.jpg
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	228574

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                        This year produced some epic photo opps. Wednesday night offered up a dry lightning storm that produced some really cool shots.

Will
                        All great photos. Thanks to all the photographers!

Frank C.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                          I'm in love with Shanty Irish. What a stunningly beautiful aircraft!

Also I love the two (late afternoon?) shots of Full Noise. Very moody.
                          Those were actually dawn patrol shots. Graeme was just coming back when I shot those. Yes, Full Noise is a great looking airplane. I hope they return and continue to improve. I think they learned a lot about racing this year. Its no small feat to race their way into the gold from not qualifying with a stock engine. No, the fields weren't super fast, but still, they got the storybook experience. My hat is off to them.

A few more shots... From the IF1 Gold start line Sunday morning.

Will

Comment

Saturday night...
                            Attached Files
                            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I got creative with this shot. I had 3 nearly identical shots, with lightning in different places. Since the foreground didn't change, I thought I'd try stacking the image. (I couldn't get it to work on my computer so I had to enlist Conner Madison for a little help. Thanks again for the 1.6GB file) Its a little fuzzy if you look really hard, but I think it came out pretty cool.

Onto the Silver race, from the hillside. It wasn't my best work from up there, but still, there are a few cool shots.

The long lens perspective. Shot at 270mm, I really like the mirage at the bottom.

Will
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-25-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

A few more shots from Thursday.

Making a Wildcat look like its doing 500mph... (I really pushed my limits as a photographer for this. I shot this handheld at 410mm, F18 at 1/60 sec shutter speed)

Not quite as slow, but still 1/80 sec 410mm.

Shanty Irish at 1/100th sec 400mm

1/80 at 400mm

Shanty Irish on the ramp Friday night.

I got some good stuff of the Sport class as well.
                                460mm, 1/125 shutter speed.

480mm at 1/80

another at 480 1/80

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X