• Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 2017... Post your Pics!

Wow!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A single 1/60 shot is one thing, how about another?

Jeff Rose Friday morning.

Relentless Pursuit (of non fouled fuel filters...)

Will
      Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-28-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Nice work so far, Will, given the conditions. Pylon work was clearly hurt by the smoke in the air. There's no way that great shot of Steve passing the YAK was going to really be technically perfect in those somewhat backlit smoky conditions. Congratulations on a good year -- hope you feel good about what you accomplished.

Neal

Comment

Neal,
          Last year was a big learning experience. This year, well, the results speak for themselves. I've processed perhaps 5% of my stuff, and I know there is more good stuff to be found. Was the success partly due to the equipment I was using? Perhaps. The Nikon D810 is a pretty bitchin camera body. I mean really, two nice shots of the unlimiteds shot at 1/60 sec, what are the odds of that? Of the 8 shots that I tried at that speed, 4 were soft, two were totally useless, and 2 were the ones I posted. I've got some sport class stuff from the hillside that are pretty sweet as well. The one disappointment was the stuff I shot from Pylon 4. I tried to shoot "normal" 1/320 or so and most of the shots are total garbage. Clearly I need to shoot from there more to really get a feel for it. (Perhaps I should have tried the Nikon 300PF F4 VR, that lens looks to be really cool, and its tiny. It might be the perfect lens for up there) I know I've got some good F1, Biplane and T6 stuff to go through, as well as the TFL display. In short, yes I'm happy with the stuff I shot.

Will

Comment

They moved Pylon 4 up onto the hill, didn't they? I always found the former location difficult to work from because I couldn't see the Racers coming til they were almost on me. There often didn't seem to be enough time to "acquire the target" in time for the camera (and me!) to settle down and track...

Neal

Comment

A few of my selections for everyone's enjoyment this morning.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmm....these last two didn't get uploaded in the last batch.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                  They moved Pylon 4 up onto the hill, didn't they? I always found the former location difficult to work from because I couldn't see the Racers coming til they were almost oon me. There often didn't seem to be enough time to "acquire the target" in time for the camera (and me!) to settle down and track...

Neal
                  Yes, they did. Right to the top of the hill that they used to "pop over".
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    They moved Pylon 4 up onto the hill, didn't they? I always found the former location difficult to work from because I couldn't see the Racers coming til they were almost on me. There often didn't seem to be enough time to "acquire the target" in time for the camera (and me!) to settle down and track...

Neal
                    Yes, its up on the hill, but getting a pylon shot from there is really hard, I couldn't find a spot far enough back and low enough to get anything in the frame aside from the pylon. No one was low enough the day I was there. You still can't see the racers coming from a spot where you might get a pylon shot. The lighting is great, the sound is amazing, but it seems like getting any sort of background in the shot is easier said than done, unless you are shooting them as they turn for 5. Its a spot that has a learning curve, that is for sure.

Big Jim, awesome shots. I really like the one with Full Noise and the pylon. Thanks for posting.

Will

Comment

Not much time to shoot anymore and haven't posted pics here for quite awhile....
                      Attached Files
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

And if you'll indulge me, here are the folks who make my job easier. The crew of Home Pylon...enjoying a Hillbilly BBQ....
                        Attached Files
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                          And if you'll indulge me, here are the folks who make my job easier. The crew of Home Pylon...enjoying a Hillbilly BBQ....
                          Sorry I managed to miss you BOTH at Seafair and Reno this year, Owen.... :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                            Not much time to shoot anymore and haven't posted pics here for quite awhile....
                            Those are really nice shots. It would be a fun challenge to shoot from the home pylon. Very cool perspective.

Thanks for posting,
                            Will

Comment

Hey Owen -- those are really quite nice...

Neal

Comment

A few more shots. I had some assistance in the post processing from Conner. (Thanks Conner) The dehaze feature in Lightroom CC is an amazing tool. I'm ticked that it wasn't included in the hardcopy version of LR6 (that I paid extra for).

I really like how this shot came out. Initially it was a borderline throw out because of the haze, but with some work, it really became a great shot. The reflection in the spinner is amazing, as are the rest of the details in the shot. While its a very simple shot, there is a lot to like about it.

When converted to black and white, it almost looks like a sketch. (I think I might have to print this one out in 20x30)

The dehaze tool really worked wonders on the Full Noise/Voodoo pass.

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X