Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Voodoo on the podium

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
    This is the text message conversation directly from Stevo so everything can be clarified:
    Thanks much for forwarding this!

I was surprised when Voodoo didn't show up at the podium. I have heard only positive things about Steven Hinton, and it seemed really out of character for him to not show up.

I'm glad that there was a reasonable explanation for it. We made some unfortunate assumptions and am very happy that we were wrong.

-Wade

Comment

There's a video on one of Voodoo's Facebook pages that shows Steve signing autographs, posing for pictures, and talking to fans for quite awhile in the pits. He is one class act!

Race 29
      Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

-Eric-
        I'm wondering if this could be a case of "off-setting penalties?" From where we were in the stands it looked like Voodoo would be penalized for low flying--which we loved in the several instances that he was so low--so much skill. Did anyone notice that the announcers didn't immediately recognize a winner? With so many being penalized in earlier races for low flying i wonder if they decided to let this one be? Regardless it was a race decided by traffic but still was a race for the ages. It was truly edge of your seat action--both pilots were incredible!!!!!!
        As the wife and I sat here and watched it on the live-stream, I knew it was pretty much etched in stone at the home pylon, and Voodoo was in a bad position. The wife, having less clue than what little I do on such things even commented on how they started to come back together; she said, "this doesn't look right."

From here I could go into all kinds of what ifs' that have no place among you good folks, but that was truly a race for the books. Wanting to see Voodoo do the two step, they truly did put all the eggs in the Sunday basket and let Stevo play Easter Bunny with a fully loaded race plane. I don't think there was a loser on the planet, but I know there are two guys who are saying, "you should have seen it from my chair..."

If this is the epitaph on a sport we love, I can't think of a better way to go out. Even with RARA and their way of timing and scoring. 482 mph, 499 mph; wing tip to wing tip with closure rates of over a 100 knots on lap traffic, it don't get any better than that!

CC
        "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

Looked to us on the west end of the pits that Voodoo was below the "R" on the home pylon by enough to matter. BUT, I'm not the judge out there so he must have seen it differently.
          Best Gold race in a long time. Reminded me of some of the "shootouts" in the 80's. Those were 50 mph or more slower though.
          There were a lot of good races this year. Some bent and broken equipment BUT no injuries or losses. Considering the mid-air Sunday morning and a couple of hairy T-6 maydays, nothing short of a miracle.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Steve-O unwinding with Voodoo and his thoughts
            Horsepower Media Productions

Last edited by bill_f; 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

For those that continue to beat the dead horse of inside passing, remember that it has happened before with no protest or result change. In fact here is a blatant example involving the same two Mustangs and Rare Bear. Watch starting about the 3 minute mark. Neither Jay nor Stevo was about to file a protest after this year's gold. It's racing. They know the risk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umW-...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by bill_f View Post
                Steve-O unwinding with Voodoo and his thoughts
                Horsepower Media Productions

https://youtu.be/FXnNS20Wgns
                What a great preservation of a piece of history. Way to go HP.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  For those that continue to beat the dead horse ...]
                  I don't see anyone doing that. It did happen so it was worth mentioning. Anyway, love seeing Hoot standing on that right rudder pedal. I thought I was seeing things, but there it is right on the video. Strega never looked so strange going around the pylons!
                  Last edited by Sven42; 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Just for the record, Rule IX "Racing" states, in part:

AN AIRCRAFT overtaking a slower aircraft shall not pass between that aircraft and a pylon and will pass on the outside unless the overtaken aircraft is extremely wide and can be kept in sight at all times by the overtaking pilot during the pass.

It's in the unanimous judgment of the pylon judges as to whether or not a violation has occured with respect to a pass at a pylon. Same scenario with low flying...at the pylon. Other areas of the race course that judgment falls to Contest Committee.

Not sure which pass at which pylon everyone is referring to here but in any event, it boils down to a judgment call. As I used to say to college basketball coaches when working as an NCAA official, the rule book in printed as a paperback...it bends!

Certainly were witness to some history here...terrific week of racing!
                    Last edited by Air Boss; 09-21-2017, 11:23 AM.
                    Owen Ashurst
                    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                      For those that continue to beat the dead horse of inside passing, remember that it has happened before with no protest or result change. In fact here is a blatant example involving the same two Mustangs and Rare Bear. Watch starting about the 3 minute mark. Neither Jay nor Stevo was about to file a protest after this year's gold. It's racing. They know the risk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umW-...ature=youtu.be
                      The statement above doesn't change the fact that Strega did an inside pass, during which he could no longer see Voodoo. Regardless of there being no protest or call by the pylon judges; or that there have been violations of the rule in the past, doesn't make it legal.

If Strega could have maintained a visual on Voodoo I would say, "press on".

it was something that was clearly against the rule and, frankly, dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                        The statement above doesn't change the fact that Strega did an inside pass, during which he could no longer see Voodoo. Regardless of there being no protest or call by the pylon judges; or that there have been violations of the rule in the past, doesn't make it legal.

If Strega could have maintained a visual on Voodoo I would say, "press on".

it was something that was clearly against the rule and, frankly, dangerous.
                        You must have sat in the room of hard benches where the people flying the airplanes in question discuss these things. It seems some fans are more upset than the participants. I think that's great, it means there are fans out there.

Comment

Working...
                        X