Question - Unlimited 2A Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Unlimited 2A Results

Hi all, a question to those that watched the Unlimited 2A Heat yesterday. (I'm not at Reno this year)

All things considered and previously discussed here in the forum this year, I'm not surprised by the results of Fridays 2A Heat. I'm looking for opinions and comments on how much of a race it really was?

How hard did Stevo in Voodoo try for Saturday's pole position? Was he saving the engine for the weekend? Did he at any time lead the field Friday? I gather team Strega only used enough power to stay out front and keep the pole for Saturday.

Any personal observations, opinions, facts, please share for those that couldn't be there.

Cheers, Don

Re: Question - Unlimited 2A Results

Originally posted by CRJpilot View Post
    Hi all, a question to those that watched the Unlimited 2A Heat yesterday. (I'm not at Reno this year)

All things considered and previously discussed here in the forum this year, I'm not surprised by the results of Fridays 2A Heat. I'm looking for opinions and comments on how much of a race it really was?

How hard did Stevo in Voodoo try for Saturday's pole position? Was he saving the engine for the weekend? Did he at any time lead the field Friday? I gather team Strega only used enough power to stay out front and keep the pole for Saturday.

Any personal observations, opinions, facts, please share for those that couldn't be there.

Cheers, Don
    My take is it was Stevo's way of sizing up the opposition for Sunday. He has done this in previous years, with your opponent out front you can understand his line and skill sets. Plus there are advantages to saving your equipment for the "day that pays the most".

I think we may see a little more of Voodoo today.

Comment

Having clocked most of Strega's laps on the current course layout, my take is that Jay had it to the firewall. Sub 59 laps and getting faster as the race progressed. 58:17 (unofficial obviously) would have been a 500mph lap with last years timing method. He was also flying the tightest and lowest line I have seen Strega fly. Stevo was right there with him for the first lap but kind of backed off and once he knew he wasn't going to pass.

It's hard to say if Voodoo's wing mod is affecting speed under G's but the eyeball test seems that Strega has the advantage in the turns.

The Pole Position is going be a clear advantage.
      "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Steves smart

Ever fly in the wake of another high speed aircraft in close proximity?

I guarantee you won't try that at 50ft off the deck

Comment

Excellent, thank you gentlemen for your input, this is the kind of information I was hoping for.

Any information on such a high profile match is welcome!

Go Strega!!!

Don

Comment

Hmm, difficult to say from outside.
            In the past we'd seen Voodoo laps of 490+ mph (with 140+ inches), I think Stevo - until yet - has not full throttled...

Comment

Yesterday's win by Strega would have been a 498 race average by last years timing.
              Supercritical wing that Voodoo had for the 3km is not meant for G loads/Turns

Jay did what he needed to and I guarantee was running power settings approved and told to by LD.
              Not to mention he flew an amazing line.......................

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                Yes indeed.

Comment

In addition to aerodynamics, I wonder if Voodoo has the engine to beat Strega? Isn't it the same one they ran for the record?
                  Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                    In addition to aerodynamics, I wonder if Voodoo has the engine to beat Strega? Isn't it the same one they ran for the record?
                    No, They put the 2nd engine in for Reno.

Built by the same guy as Strega.

Comment

No, They put the 2nd engine in for Reno.

Built by the same guy as Strega.
                      My take is Stevo just found out he doesn't have the fastest Mustang on the course.

Comment

My guess is he already knew that and has been working to get Voodoo up to speed over the last few years. He knows all too well what Strega is capable of.
                        He has learned a few things over the years so he will capitalize on any mistake Jay makes but there is a good chance Jay will not make any. I think it will come down to someone making a mistake. Like I said, Stevo has his work cut out.
                        Will be fun to watch.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by tele1 View Post
                          My take is Stevo just found out he doesn't have the fastest Mustang on the course.
                          We'll know tomorrow at 5................

Comment

Yesterday's win by Strega would have been a 498 race average by last years timing.
                            Supercritical wing that Voodoo had for the 3km is not meant for G loads/Turns

Jay did what he needed to and I guarantee was running power settings approved and told to by LD.
                            I'd like to hear an elaborated explanation as to why Voodoo's Wing isn't meant for the course? Wing loading should still be the same, no?

And we're all assuming they were both running the same power settings? Steve is smart enough to know that only the Sunday race is what counts.
                            Last edited by CJAM427; 09-16-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
                              I'd like to hear an elaborated explanation as to why Voodoo's Wing isn't meant for the course? Wing loading should still be the same, no?

And we're all assuming they were both running the same power settings? Steve is smart enough to know that only the Sunday race is what counts.

Supercritical was intended for straight-line efficiency and drag reduction, not to work under g-loading.

I think Voodoo is losing ground in the turns, if you watch the start of today's race as soon as they hit the first turn it was like they went backwards, with today's win being imperative to get tomorrow's pole I think we will see a repeat if everyone holds together.

Also with a 502 first lap and a 479 average #7 backed way off........................

Comment

Working...
                              X