Unlimited Air Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Air Racing

Different thread mentioned the possibility of Voodoo retiring and the possible end to Unlimited class.
    So, what say you? A return to the GeeBee/ Laird days? I mentioned the Pond: in your opinion, why didn't it work? Bad design or just lack of development? Auto-based powerplants...i.e. Falconer or V-8 like what was in Sweet Dreams?

Re: Unlimited Air Racing

If there's not the money to run the Unlimiteds we're familiar with then there's no way there's the money for scratchbuilt machines.
    Zac in NZ

Comment

Air Racing as with most racing is NOT about the money, never has been.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
        It seems to me that most all forms of racing are in a slump. It takes huge amounts of money to do any of it, and I think what happened in 2011 made a lot of the people with "deep pockets" shy away from something that they might end up in litigation over. Unfortunately for all of us who love racing.
        I am happy to see the "stockers" going around the pylons too, most other "airshows" don't go around a closed course low to the ground where most everybody can see them.

The unlimited purpose-built planes would cost at least 3 million or more to develop one and get it flying. To race one time a year.
        If I win the lottery, I'm all in!

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          Sorry, I meant the money to get and keep them flying.
          Zac in NZ

Comment

We all mean well here but toldjaso probably has a pretty good finger the pulsing heart of the personally expendable cubic dollars that it takes to make a serious effort possible... and I'm all in with being there for whatever goes around those pylons in years to come!

I've flown half way across the country and more for ANY form of air racing! Demo, StartUp pylon racing events.. you name it, I was there!

I'll be there in the future for wherever this great sport goes!

Too expensive to go to the next level?

So what!!!!!!!!

Run what ya brung!

As long as its pylon racing,
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              We all mean well here but toldjaso probably has a pretty good finger the pulsing heart of the personally expendable cubic dollars that it takes to make a serious effort possible... and I'm all in with being there for whatever goes around those pylons in years to come!

I've flown half way across the country and more for ANY form of air racing! Demo, StartUp pylon racing events.. you name it, I was there!

I'll be there in the future for wherever this great sport goes!

Too expensive to go to the next level?

So what!!!!!!!!

Run what ya brung!

As long as its pylon racing,
              I personally thought it was GREAT to see the Spitfire, Corsair, P-40, P-51A, etc. going around the pylons! None of them are going to break the 500mph lap, but MAN that was cool! When was to last time a Spitfire was on the course? Cool, man.....cool!

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

you are right race29 i almost fell off my chair when i saw a spitfire was entered

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
                  I personally thought it was GREAT to see the Spitfire, Corsair, P-40, P-51A, etc. going around the pylons! None of them are going to break the 500mph lap, but MAN that was cool! When was to last time a Spitfire was on the course? Cool, man.....cool!

Race 29
                  Why not have the unlimited bronze becomes "The Battle of the Air Museums." Have them bring their airplanes and see who gets bragging rights for the next year for having the fastest museum aircraft--bring P-47's, Hellcats, P-39's/63's, along with the P-51's, Corsairs and whatever else. That would just be fun!!! It might even get a little be competitive!!!

Comment

I like that, or having Unlimited and Museum/Warbird...imagine seeing P-39s and P-63s racing again!
                    Zac in NZ

Comment

Working...
                    X