Voodoo retiring? Seems like it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voodoo retiring? Seems like it...

Bob pretty much reiterated all that was already mentioned. He said they're going to try for a few records and then the plane might end up in a museum, but said that's not a decision he has to make right now.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
      Send me a PM with shipping address and size and I will get one to you

PM sent, thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        Bob pretty much reiterated all that was already mentioned. He said they're going to try for a few records and then the plane might end up in a museum, but said that's not a decision he has to make right now.
        Not that I want to see Voodoo go to a museum, but McClellan has a nice museum just a few miles from Bob's home base. And it doesn't have a Mustang!

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
          Send me a PM with shipping address and size and I will get one to you
          I love the community here!
          Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
            I love the community here!
            You are among friends and fellow speed junkies!

Go Aaron Slight!!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I think the obvious museum it should go to is Planes of Fame! Don't they even have an air racing themed hangar there?
              Random Air Blog

Comment

I really hope it does not go to the Smithsonian. If it does, it may be disassembled, put into storage and not see the light of day for decades. I remember seeing Conquest 1 on a tour of the Silver Hill facility back around 1986 or so. It stayed there until the Udvar Hazey annex opened, a couple of decades later.

Comment

Word is that the Smithsonian does not want it. It sounds like they might go after more records after a well deserved break.

And who knows, Strega was supposedly done racing in 2012............

Comment

Text from Stevo to Tommy Gardner, shared on Facebook:
                    "It's finished racing but there's talk of more records, not going to the Smithsonian. The airplane will continue flying"

My money's on Planes of Fame.
                    Last edited by ZacYates; 09-19-2017, 09:48 PM.
                    Zac in NZ

Comment

If Voodoo is finished racing, that puts a pretty big hurt on unlimited air racing. What if Tiger decides to stay home?

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                        If Voodoo is finished racing, that puts a pretty big hurt on unlimited air racing. What if Tiger decides to stay home?
                        The whole weekend Tiger knew that Voodoo was done, it was made pretty public. There was a lot going on after the gold race but I heard Steve Stavra say Strega will be back to defend her title or something like that... Most likely during an interview with Jay/Tiger post gold.
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

With the recent sponsorship by Joe Clark to go for the record, if Voodoo ends up going to Planes of Fame, I wonder if Clark has anything against helping sponsor the engine for future racing? If it does go to POF, I don't think it'll be done racing especially if they reach out for sponsorship

POF has a lot of connections to boot, I was dreaming about fighter rebuilders taking over Dago and rebuilding it into POF's race plane like Super Corsair was. They've been much more involved with Reno the past decade starting with Steven, and then John Maloney & Robbie Patterson racing the past 2 years.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            With the recent sponsorship by Joe Clark to go for the record, if Voodoo ends up going to Planes of Fame, I wonder if Clark has anything against helping sponsor the engine for future racing? If it does go to POF, I don't think it'll be done racing especially if they reach out for sponsorship

POF has a lot of connections to boot, I was dreaming about fighter rebuilders taking over Dago and rebuilding it into POF's race plane like Super Corsair was. They've been much more involved with Reno the past decade starting with Steven, and then John Maloney & Robbie Patterson racing the past 2 years.
                            I've had the same thoughts about POF and Dago.

Comment

How many times was Strega going to retire................perhaps this will be the case with Voodoo. After a very busy last few months, perhaps after resting for the next few months, there will be a change of heart, and will race again. Time will tell.

Comment

Technically Strega is still for sale.

While it isn't currently listed at Platinum Fighter Sales they were the planes sponsor at Reno.
                                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
                                X