Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 mph rule

Default 300 mph rule

In recent years hasn't there been a rule that Unlimiteds must qualify at over 300 mph to race? So far I see 5 airplanes under that line...

Neal

Default Re: 300 mph rule

I think that was more of a full field or close measure. With the new timing as well, the Spitfire (last) would actually have qualified at 295 any previous year. I don't think they're gonna care about 5 mph.

Simply put if RARA doesn't let them race then there's a real issue here
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Qualifing speed was lowered to 275 this year
    Jim Adams
    Blue Thunder 2 crew
    Picabo race 51 crew
    Rapid Travel race 75 crew

I had not heard that -- Thanks.

Reno's "Rules" have always been a bit flexible anyway. Given the lack of prize money I think this was a great thing to do. It's helped make for a very interesting field this year. Kinda wish I was there.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by rc38pilot View Post
    Qualifing speed was lowered to 275 this year
    They should change the name of the event from Reno Air Races to Reno Airshow.It's sad when RARA has to pay the group from Texas show up and "race" their aircraft to fill the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by krts View Post
    They should change the name of the event from Reno Air Races to Reno Airshow.It's sad when RARA has to pay the group from Texas show up and "race" their aircraft to fill the seats.
    ...nevermind
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

What???

I see nothing wrong with this. People will still come here to race planes and test their limits. Bring on more museum planes to attend and grace our skies. The living history along with hearing and seeing them fly is priceless.
    As I mention before, we need a Museum Class.

Make an effort to attend, you will not be disappointed!
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-13-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typos

What timing, as soon as I submitted my reply, I hear all kinds of warbirds in the air.

So I run out of the house, its Betty's Dream and all the Texas Flying Legends planes.

What a sight and sound to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    What???

I see nothing wrong with this. People will still come here to race planes and test their limits. Bring on more museum planes to attend and grace our skies. The living history along with hearing and seeing them fly is priceless.
    As I mention before, we need a Museum Class.

Make an effort to attend, you will not be disappointed!

It's a perspective thing. I have the same sort of feelings. This will be my 37th year of attendance. When you have the 80's and 90's as a frame of reference, the last decade can feel pretty lack luster for RACING. Air shows are all over the place. There is only one air race.

We all love airplanes, and this is a chance to see some of those airplanes we love in a different way, and it light years better than nothing, but its tough to see something you love essentially dying.

krts, it's considered kind of bad form to enter a discussion forum with your first two posts being negative and not contribute anything.. I love diversity of opinion here, but I do hope you wind up on a more positive track in your future postings.. We are here to PROMOTE the grand sport of Pylon Air Racing, important fact to remember...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"