Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vicky Benzing runs faster than Seguin is Race 33?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vicky Benzing runs faster than Seguin is Race 33?!

She put down a 372 followed by a 377. Last year the 377 lap would be equivalent to 385 and change. That's 6mph faster than Elliott in Race 33 last year!!! Is this the fastest Legacy qual?!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Vicky Benzing runs faster than Seguin is Race 33?!

All this timing thing has really been screwed up all day as some are still using last years timing charts. You can ask 2 different people using stop watches & get 2 different speeds. As SNL use to say "Very Interesting But Stupid".
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      She put down a 372 followed by a 377. Last year the 377 lap would be equivalent to 385 and change. That's 6mph faster than Elliott in Race 33 last year!!! Is this the fastest Legacy qual?!
      She has a contender for sure. Hope it holds together. After John's issues in Blue II today, she may be the only one that can push LaVelle a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        She has a contender for sure. Hope it holds together. After John's issues in Blue II today, she may be the only one that can push LaVelle a bit.
        That's what I'm thinking too, haven't heard much about John, just know that it happened
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I had to work all morning and didn't get out 'til late. What's the story on John?28cyl
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Anyone know why Vicky didn't start yesterday?
            Random Air Blog

Comment

Vicky's crew had to change cylinders #1 and #5.
              Last edited by georgiacub; 09-16-2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Going to be fun to see her race from the back! hopefully she can get back to the top three. Does anyone have pictures of the plane or know the history?
                Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                  Going to be fun to see her race from the back! hopefully she can get back to the top three. Does anyone have pictures of the plane or know the history?
                  The aircraft Vicky is flying originally belonged to Dennis Stutes. It was granted an air worthiness certificate in 2006. The plane was raced at Reno, flown by Dave Morss, in 2007. It qualified at a speed of 357.753 MPH.

It is the third Super Legacy form the shop of Andy Chiavetta.

Dennis died of cancer in February 2016. The plane was sold to Dianne Stanger a couple of days before Dennis died.

The below link will show a picture as it was when Dennis owned it.

FlightAware Aviation Photos: Lancair Legacy 2000(N726DW), 2006 Lancair Legacy with TSIO-550 - going to Lancair building in Redmond, OR. KRDM

Comment

What's everyone's take on Vicky's oscillations at the finish of the Sport Gold yesterday? My immediate thought was flutter, but I don't know. Some people were speculating wake turbulence, which was certainly prevalent on the course, but it seemed too rhythmic to be turbulence. Maybe PIO after some bumps? I wouldn't expect that of a race pilot in what should be a pretty stable airplane though...

Either way, it got my heart rate up, and I'm sure hers too!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                      What's everyone's take on Vicky's oscillations at the finish of the Sport Gold yesterday? My immediate thought was flutter, but I don't know. Some people were speculating wake turbulence, which was certainly prevalent on the course, but it seemed too rhythmic to be turbulence. Maybe PIO after some bumps? I wouldn't expect that of a race pilot in what should be a pretty stable airplane though...

Either way, it got my heart rate up, and I'm sure hers too!!
                      I read that one of the cylinders failed and I imagine that along with wake threw things off, they didn't roll the firetrucks for her mayday
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                        I read that one of the cylinders failed and I imagine that along with wake threw things off, they didn't roll the firetrucks for her mayday
                        It was blowing up. They had replaced a couple of cylinders early in the week.

Comment

Vicky posted the following on Facebook: "Okay, for those that wondered what that little bobble was as I was crossing the finish line on Sunday's race... about 100 yrs from home pylon the turbo spit its impeller into the exhaust pipe and the boost went from some large number to zero. The sudden deceleration caused the bobble as I readjusted the pitch attitude to cross the finish line before pitching up. Timing is everything!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                            All this timing thing has really been screwed up all day as some are still using last years timing charts. You can ask 2 different people using stop watches & get 2 different speeds. As SNL use to say "Very Interesting But Stupid".
                            That was Laugh in Bob😎

Comment

Working...
                            X