Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quiz time. Purpose built racers

Default Re: Quiz time. Purpose built racers

Quote Originally Posted by CJAM427 View Post
    The records from that year indicate he was racing it as Leeward Air Ranch Special. I think it ceased to be Jeannie when it was sold to Leeward in 1983.

http://reports.airrace.org/1964-1997...ted.Report.pdf

I realize that now. Duh. I should know this.

I think this is somewhere in the 86-88 range

Quote Originally Posted by CJAM427 View Post
    The records from that year indicate he was racing it as Leeward Air Ranch Special. I think it ceased to be Jeannie when it was sold to Leeward in 1983.

http://reports.airrace.org/1964-1997...ted.Report.pdf
    From that list, it looks like I was only missing Dago Red (and apparently, Strega wasn't there)...
    Last edited by RichH; 09-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.

If you look at Connor's link, in the Gold Race lineup 8 out of 9 were super modified airplanes, and at least 6 were serious contenders. Five were former Champions, The only exception was #69, and even it was far from a stock Mustang at that point. It was quite a lineup.

I have very good memories of 1988...

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    If you look at Connor's link, in the Gold Race lineup 8 out of 9 were super modified airplanes, and at least 6 were serious contenders. Five were former Champions, The only exception was #69, and even it was far from a stock Mustang at that point. It was quite a lineup.

I have very good memories of 1988...

Neal

Me too. Wasn't there an Italian plane there that year? Sometime in the 85-90 range there was. One of the passes on Saturday put everyone on the hill down in the dirt. Lowest flyover I can remember.

(Back in the days of being allowed out on the back right hill)

If I remember correctly, wasn't it a Fiat that ran in 1987. And didn't Bucareli run a contraprop Mustang in 88? I mean, he put it in the dirt on the pace lap, but it did make the Gold field.
    Last edited by V1670; 09-12-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by V1670 View Post
    If I remember correctly, wasn't it a Fiat that ran in 1987. And didn't Bucareli run a contraprop Mustang in 88? I mean, he put it in the dirt on the pace lap, but it did make the Gold field.
    That wasn't Buccarelli... that was Don Whittington in Precious Metal/World Jet.

Buccarelli didn't purchase PM from the Whittingtons until much later...

Quote Originally Posted by V1670 View Post
    I think it was Guido Z's fiat with a Merlin - nothing I would consider to be a purpose built racer. The counter-rotating prop Mustang was Precious Metal (although I don't think it had that name on it yet that year?) owned and flown by Don Wittington.

Guido Zuccoli's Fiat G.59 "Ciao Bella" in 1987 was totally stock, fresh from restoration by Sanders.

By sheer coincidence Brad's 89 Gold video is the one I chose to show my wife last night to explain what I'm obsessed with this week!

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    That wasn't Buccarelli... that was Don Whittington in Precious Metal/World Jet.

Buccarelli didn't purchase PM from the Whittingtons until much later...

Quote Originally Posted by ZacYates View Post
    Guido Zuccoli's Fiat G.59 "Ciao Bella" in 1987 was totally stock, fresh from restoration by Sanders.
    Thats the one. He was 10' above the top of the hill. I have a VHS of it, but the camera man freaked and hit the dirt as well. It was amazing.