No announcement yet.

Reno 2017 "Inventory" Check! So Far....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno 2017 "Inventory" Check! So Far....

The warbird section of Reno 2017 is HEAVILY represented this year and it's a sight to behold. Oshkosh don't have much on this! Let's take a look...

x10 P/F-51D Mustangs, 2 of those being Super-Stangs!
    x5 Sea Furies, all 4 types of engines represented
    x2 Corsairs (FG-1, F4U-1)
    x2 TBM/F Avengers
    x1 F8F Bearcat
    x1 P-51A
    x1 P-40E
    x1 P-38J
    x1 FM-2 Wildcat
    x1 B-25J
    x1 Spitfire Mk.9
    x1 Yak 3M
    and of course TFLM's C-47!

28 "out of the ordinary" warbirds on the ramp in 2017! Thanks RARA, much love
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Reno 2017 "Inventory" Check! So Far....

Wow! Nice turn out! This will be a great indoctrination for the rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Oshkosh don't have much on this! Let's take a look...
      That is indeed an awesome lineup, but I have to defend my hometown. You do know what was at Oshkosh this year right?

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
        That is indeed an awesome lineup, but I have to defend my hometown. You do know what was at Oshkosh this year right?
        How many airshows do Fifi, doc, and the P-63's go to a year? How many airshows do Strega and Voodoo go to a year? One can be seen plenty of times a year, the other.... not so much

But yes Fifi and Doc together is cool, but 2 Super Stangs together is a little bit cooler
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The warbird section of Reno 2017 is HEAVILY represented this year and it's a sight to behold. Oshkosh don't have much on this! Let's take a look...

x10 P/F-51D Mustangs, 2 of those being Super-Stangs!
          x5 Sea Furies, all 4 types of engines represented
          x2 Corsairs (FG-1, F4U-1)
          x2 TBM/F Avengers
          x1 F8F Bearcat
          x1 P-51A
          x1 P-40E
          x1 P-38J
          x1 FM-2 Wildcat
          x1 B-25J
          x1 Spitfire Mk.9
          x1 Yak 3M
          and of course TFLM's C-47!

28 "out of the ordinary" warbirds on the ramp in 2017! Thanks RARA, much love
          Love this, but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a sunday gold line up that included these:

Rare Bear
          Czechmate
          Precious metal
          Furias
          Dago Red

I'm sure we all would. The "Race" is becoming a "Show" . It is what it is. I yearn for the good ole days, but I will always be there.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
            Love this, but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a sunday gold line up that included these:

Rare Bear
            Czechmate
            Precious metal
            Furias
            Dago Red

I'm sure we all would. The "Race" is becoming a "Show" . It is what it is. I yearn for the good ole days, but I will always be there.
            The good thing is on top of all those you just listed, the full race Yak 3 and Tsunami are being built too. Awhile out but at least they're not destroyed or stockers. The Red Baron II rumors also floating around... Unlimited air racing isn't "dead" just not alive I guess...
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The good thing is on top of all those you just listed, the full race Yak 3 and Tsunami are being built too. Awhile out but at least they're not destroyed or stockers. The Red Baron II rumors also floating around... Unlimited air racing isn't "dead" just not alive I guess...
              Indeed. I hold hope. Always will. 2 more days...2 more days...

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                Indeed. I hold hope. Always will. 2 more days...2 more days...
                Same here, on both comments! Thursday evening....
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

How many airshows do Fifi, doc, and the P-63's go to a year? How many airshows do Strega and Voodoo go to a year? One can be seen plenty of times a year, the other.... not so much

But yes Fifi and Doc together is cool, but 2 Super Stangs together is a little bit cooler
                  I agree, 2 Super Stangs facing off is wicked cool! Three of the four airworthy P-63's together in one place though? I'm not at all sure when that happened last -its certainly been a long time.

I think the final count for Warbirds in attendence was 351 -a lot of those are T-6's and 34's, but there's also 12+ Mustangs, 12 B-25's, 3 P-63, 1 P-39, 1 F8F-1, 2 F4U, Spitfire IX, A-20, A-26, a bunch of L birds, C-123, and don't forget Doc and Fifi.

The two events are completely different and we both have good reasons to prefer one over the other. PM me if you want to keep debating so I don't drag this too far off topic.

Warbirds of America P-63 Kingcobras by EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, on Flickr

Comment

I would trade everything discussed here for one chance to see the Macchi M.C.-72 fly

Comment

If Reno had the ramp space that Oshkosh has I can promise you the numbers would be fantastic. Considering that RARA basically says don't bring your planes to display, I think the turn out is pretty stellar. The largest airshow gathering in the world can only get 12 D model's together? Lol slacking much? I'm just playing, I've been to Oshkosh once and Reno 17 soon to be 18 times so there's a little preference as you can tell.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The Red Baron II rumors also floating around...
                        Okay, this I HAVE to hear more about!!!
                        Zac in NZ

Comment

If Reno had the ramp space that Oshkosh has I can promise you the numbers would be fantastic. Considering that RARA basically says don't bring your planes to display, I think the turn out is pretty stellar. The largest airshow gathering in the world can only get 12 D model's together? Lol slacking much? I'm just playing, I've been to Oshkosh once and Reno 17 soon to be 18 times so there's a little preference as you can tell.
                          I could only think of a dozen at the time, there were actually 16 for sure now that I think about it -two of which were B/C models.

I'm at 24 to 1 the other way so there is preference on my side as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                            Jim Harley dropped some hints in a thread here (that I can't find ATM) that the Muszala's have interest in creating a Red Baron II, but it would need some serious funding.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                              Not to get too much into the rumor mill... But Shanty Irish's pilot is John Muszala II of Pacific Fighters in Idaho. He's a very qualified pilot and is obviously getting into Unlimited racing. His father John Muszala was one of the pilots for RB and after the wreck of course the registration went to Wee Willy, but the Muszala's have a lot of the pieces to get RB2 started. I say a lot, but if you know what the wreck looked like then just think about what "a lot" could mean. With the money, interest, sponsorship and time it may be on the horizon. JM2 is up for it, and this being his first year racing should be a good indicator of his interest in making a full-bred racer again
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                              X