Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Qual Comparison to previous years

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Qual Comparison to previous years

    So watching Qual's, it doesn't seem like anyone is up to speed with what they ran last year... The time it takes to get around the course shouldn't vary from the last couple years.

    Of course speed is different because of the pylon-to-pylon, but everyone seems a bit slower in general so far...

    Even Phantom is 8 seconds slower than 2015, new pilot I understand but 8 seconds?
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '17

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Posts
    531

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    I was wondering the same thing... What sort of speed decrease should be expecting with the point to point measuring?

    Along the subject of qualifying, does anyone have the schedule for today and tomorrow?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    Quote Originally Posted by CJAM427 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing... What sort of speed decrease should be expecting with the point to point measuring?

    Along the subject of qualifying, does anyone have the schedule for today and tomorrow?
    So for the Unlimited's the decrease should seem about 10mph over the 6-8 lap heats and sunday race. (500 in previous years would "look like" 490)... Basically the course is 3/4 mile shorter with pylon to pylon than predicted line. If you think about it logically, running the same time on a shorter course will appear slower. But the qual's seem very slow so far...

    And yes... http://reports.airrace.org/2017/2017...ay.Tuesday.pdf
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '17

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Posts
    531

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    So for the Unlimited's the decrease should seem about 10mph over the 6-8 lap heats and sunday race. (500 in previous years would "look like" 490)... Basically the course is 3/4 mile shorter with pylon to pylon than predicted line. If you think about it logically, running the same time on a shorter course will appear slower. But the qual's seem very slow so far...

    And yes... http://reports.airrace.org/2017/2017...ay.Tuesday.pdf
    Got it, and thank you!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    So they did indeed go back to point-to-point measuring?? HALLELUJAH!!

    Now if they would only go back and correct all of the speed miscalculations that are in the record books...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    So they did indeed go back to point-to-point measuring?? HALLELUJAH!!

    Now if they would only go back and correct all of the speed miscalculations that are in the record books...
    I spoke with the timer's and they were thinking about doing it, but then all the trophies, records, and old info wouldn't align with the new info.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '17

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    I spoke with the timer's and they were thinking about doing it, but then all the trophies, records, and old info wouldn't align with the new info.
    Exactly. Fake Speed = No Record!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hawera, NZ
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    FAKE SPEED!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,152

    Default Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Exactly. Fake Speed = No Record!
    I agree 100%. Especially since they did it specifically so they could set a "record"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •