Qual Comparison to previous years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qual Comparison to previous years

So watching Qual's, it doesn't seem like anyone is up to speed with what they ran last year... The time it takes to get around the course shouldn't vary from the last couple years.

Of course speed is different because of the pylon-to-pylon, but everyone seems a bit slower in general so far...

Even Phantom is 8 seconds slower than 2015, new pilot I understand but 8 seconds?
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Qual Comparison to previous years

I was wondering the same thing... What sort of speed decrease should be expecting with the point to point measuring?

Along the subject of qualifying, does anyone have the schedule for today and tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
      I was wondering the same thing... What sort of speed decrease should be expecting with the point to point measuring?

Along the subject of qualifying, does anyone have the schedule for today and tomorrow?
      So for the Unlimited's the decrease should seem about 10mph over the 6-8 lap heats and sunday race. (500 in previous years would "look like" 490)... Basically the course is 3/4 mile shorter with pylon to pylon than predicted line. If you think about it logically, running the same time on a shorter course will appear slower. But the qual's seem very slow so far...

And yes... http://reports.airrace.org/2017/2017...ay.Tuesday.pdf
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        So for the Unlimited's the decrease should seem about 10mph over the 6-8 lap heats and sunday race. (500 in previous years would "look like" 490)... Basically the course is 3/4 mile shorter with pylon to pylon than predicted line. If you think about it logically, running the same time on a shorter course will appear slower. But the qual's seem very slow so far...

And yes... http://reports.airrace.org/2017/2017...ay.Tuesday.pdf
        Got it, and thank you!

Comment

So they did indeed go back to point-to-point measuring?? HALLELUJAH!!

Now if they would only go back and correct all of the speed miscalculations that are in the record books...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
            So they did indeed go back to point-to-point measuring?? HALLELUJAH!!

Now if they would only go back and correct all of the speed miscalculations that are in the record books...
            I spoke with the timer's and they were thinking about doing it, but then all the trophies, records, and old info wouldn't align with the new info.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              I spoke with the timer's and they were thinking about doing it, but then all the trophies, records, and old info wouldn't align with the new info.
              Exactly. Fake Speed = No Record!

Comment

FAKE SPEED!
                Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                  Exactly. Fake Speed = No Record!
                  I agree 100%. Especially since they did it specifically so they could set a "record"

Comment

Working...
                  X