Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Reno Air Races early week reports: Whats on the Ramp?

Default Re: What's on the ramp?

The yak was out yesterday afternoon and it sounded healthy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5471_01msig.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	336.1 KB 
ID:	22902  

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjibus View Post
    the week of bitter disappointments begins!
    Not even CLOSE! In all the recent years of Reno this has been the most satisfying lead up to the races I've ever seen. All the proof you need? Voodoo is on the ramp and Shanty Irish had it's first flight less than a week ago, it's there too....
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

For the first time in years we have a full unlimited class, with some cool variety. The POF F4U, I heard a rumor that the TBM might try to qualify? (Now that would be a sight). Skidoo is there (any word on it trying to qualify?) When was the last time we had planes in the bronze actually needing to qualify?

The Sport class is packed full. The jets have a known fast Vampire wearing a new paint job, that I'll put my $ on to win. The Bipes and IF1s are out in force. T6s have a strong showing as well. What is not to thrilled about? Yes, Rear Bear and 232 are sitting out again, but still, there is a ton of good racing to be had. I am really excited to shoot the races this year as there are 2 F4Us, a Wildcat, a Yak 3, a P40 and a Spitfire! Mustangs and Sea Furies are cool, but the others really make it exciting.

Wednesday cant get here fast enough!

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    For the first time in years we have a full unlimited class, with some cool variety. The POF F4U, I heard a rumor that the TBM might try to qualify? (Now that would be a sight). Skidoo is there (any word on it trying to qualify?) When was the last time we had planes in the bronze actually needing to qualify?

The Sport class is packed full. The jets have a known fast Vampire wearing a new paint job, that I'll put my $ on to win. The Bipes and IF1s are out in force. T6s have a strong showing as well. What is not to thrilled about? Yes, Rear Bear and 232 are sitting out again, but still, there is a ton of good racing to be had. I am really excited to shoot the races this year as there are 2 F4Us, a Wildcat, a Yak 3, a P40 and a Spitfire! Mustangs and Sea Furies are cool, but the others really make it exciting.

Wednesday cant get here fast enough!

Will
    We need to confirm the TBM rumor!!! And is the POF Corsair really racing? Haven't seen a number on her yet... Skidoo is there for Heritage with A-10. And what about Shanty Irish does she have a race # on for sure?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Not even CLOSE! In all the recent years of Reno this has been the most satisfying lead up to the races I've ever seen. All the proof you need? Voodoo is on the ramp and Shanty Irish had it's first flight less than a week ago, it's there too....
    I am referencing the "Culling" of the field that always happens M-W.

recall Furias, Precious Metal, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    The yak was out yesterday afternoon and it sounded healthy
    Awesome. I had to share that photo on their Facebook page!

Voodoo video from lemon drive, just 2 hours old : https://youtu.be/IJU3X1KWLb8
    Last edited by Florian; 09-11-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Voodoo video from lemon drive, just 2 hours old : https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=IJU3X1KWLb8
    There is something wonky with your youtube address. It took me to my own youtube page.

Will

Me too, unfortunately.

In brighter news: Brad Haskin's put up his Bad Boys of Air Racing poster on Facebook (click to make it bigger):
    Brad Haskin 2017 poster by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    There is something wonky with your youtube address. It took me to my own youtube page.

Will
    I'll give Florian some help, also another one he uploaded on his channel, thanks Florian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJU3X1KWLb8
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17