Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Reno Air Races early week reports: Whats on the Ramp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's on the ramp?

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
    Thanks Will. I'm a big fan of your work from the hill above outer 4.
    You are welcome. I'm not shooting from above outer 4, but more like between 2 and 3. Its one of my favorite places to shoot from. I might have to see if I can borrow a 600mm lens from Nikon this year to shoot from up there. I'm thinking I might be up there on Saturday.

I can't wait to get up there, hopefully on Wednesday, but as things are looking, that might be tough.

Will

Comment

Some pics of Voodoo surfaced, she's back to racing fashion. Orange and Black!!! Race #5 is back on, Voodoo on the cowling, crew on the gear doors, Lucas Oil on the scoop, record info below the canopy
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I thought I had heard that Pete Z was bringing another Vampire this year. I don't see him on the list of jet entry's. Any word on this?

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
          I thought I had heard that Pete Z was bringing another Vampire this year. I don't see him on the list of jet entry's. Any word on this?
          Pulled out for an unknown reason
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Sad to hear of Full Noise having issues but I hope it was minor.

Perhaps those who know Stead can tell which hangar this is?
            voodoo hangar by Zac Yates, on Flickr
            Last edited by ZacYates; 09-10-2017, 04:16 PM.
            Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
              Sad to hear of Full Noise having issues but I hope it was minor.

Perhaps those who know Stead can tell which hangar this is?
              voodoo hangar by Zac Yates, on Flickr
              I just LOVE the simple clean look!!

Comment

That hangar is the closest hangar to Strega on the ramp, lots of mustangs have had stuff done in there over the years (engine changes, canopy fixes, etc..)
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks for that!

An update on Full Noise from Graeme Frew on Facebook:
                  "I apologise for the lack of info over the last few days. #Fullnoise35 has not been particularly cooperative and trying to do everything myself has been a challenge. Yesterday I did in fact declare a Mayday as the oil pressure had dropped off. It was precautionary and good practice. Luckily the forces are finally gathering and Jay JEM Aviation Ltd will get her licked into shape."

Also, this happened today!
                  Fruju qual by Zac Yates, on Flickr
                  Zac in NZ

Comment

Quite a lot of action today, attached some photos from the first unlimited flights in the afternoon.

Best regards,
                    Florian
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      Pulled out for an unknown reason
                      the week of bitter disappointments begins!

Comment

The yak was out yesterday afternoon and it sounded healthy
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          the week of bitter disappointments begins!
                          Not even CLOSE! In all the recent years of Reno this has been the most satisfying lead up to the races I've ever seen. All the proof you need? Voodoo is on the ramp and Shanty Irish had it's first flight less than a week ago, it's there too....
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

For the first time in years we have a full unlimited class, with some cool variety. The POF F4U, I heard a rumor that the TBM might try to qualify? (Now that would be a sight). Skidoo is there (any word on it trying to qualify?) When was the last time we had planes in the bronze actually needing to qualify?

The Sport class is packed full. The jets have a known fast Vampire wearing a new paint job, that I'll put my $ on to win. The Bipes and IF1s are out in force. T6s have a strong showing as well. What is not to thrilled about? Yes, Rear Bear and 232 are sitting out again, but still, there is a ton of good racing to be had. I am really excited to shoot the races this year as there are 2 F4Us, a Wildcat, a Yak 3, a P40 and a Spitfire! Mustangs and Sea Furies are cool, but the others really make it exciting.

Wednesday cant get here fast enough!

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                              For the first time in years we have a full unlimited class, with some cool variety. The POF F4U, I heard a rumor that the TBM might try to qualify? (Now that would be a sight). Skidoo is there (any word on it trying to qualify?) When was the last time we had planes in the bronze actually needing to qualify?

The Sport class is packed full. The jets have a known fast Vampire wearing a new paint job, that I'll put my $ on to win. The Bipes and IF1s are out in force. T6s have a strong showing as well. What is not to thrilled about? Yes, Rear Bear and 232 are sitting out again, but still, there is a ton of good racing to be had. I am really excited to shoot the races this year as there are 2 F4Us, a Wildcat, a Yak 3, a P40 and a Spitfire! Mustangs and Sea Furies are cool, but the others really make it exciting.

Wednesday cant get here fast enough!

Will
                              We need to confirm the TBM rumor!!! And is the POF Corsair really racing? Haven't seen a number on her yet... Skidoo is there for Heritage with A-10. And what about Shanty Irish does she have a race # on for sure?
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                                Not even CLOSE! In all the recent years of Reno this has been the most satisfying lead up to the races I've ever seen. All the proof you need? Voodoo is on the ramp and Shanty Irish had it's first flight less than a week ago, it's there too....
                                I am referencing the "Culling" of the field that always happens M-W.

recall Furias, Precious Metal, etc....

Comment

Working...
                                X