Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Reno Air Races early week reports: Whats on the Ramp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's on the ramp?

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22858[/ATTACH]
    Nice shot.

Will

Comment

Bunny is a Palms Springs Air Museum Mustang

Comment

A P51 just headed east half an hour ago departing from Santa Rosa airport, maybe Speedball Alice on the way to Reno?

Best regards,
        Florian

Comment

Missing Shanty Irish and Speedball (who is probably on the way).

Who brought the target tug TBM? Awesome scheme
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Everone is here minus Shanty Irish. Couple of cool planes of interest, Bunny is oustanding looking, Tumble weed in IF1 is a fast looking addition, Outrageous is in the pits again, Phantom, and Endeavor look better than ever. Lucky Too sure looks the part. Watched propbably the bronze unlimited race this morning Fantastic. Bear is on static display in the pits with support and gear like its ready to race. I have pics and conversation of Stevo on stregas wing. Will post shortly.

(Quote from the crew members at air races.) "Stevo your on the wrong plane." (Stevo) "There all the right plane"

Thats what i heard.

Comment

Full noise had a mayday immediately after his simulated mayday in this afternoons prs session. It was sitting out on the middle of 14 when I left.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                Full noise had a mayday immediately after his simulated mayday in this afternoons prs session. It was sitting out on the middle of 14 when I left.
                Supposedly taxied back under its own power after
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Shanty Irish just landed. It should be in at Mather for NAHI not racing at Reno.... Wow are we lucky this year
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by coxtrot View Post
                    (Stevo) "There all the right plane".
                    If anybody know: STEVO KNOWS!!

Comment

Unlimited "PRS" today seemed to be the highlight besides the debut of Shanty Irish.

Argonaut, Martlet, Full Noise, Whistling Death, Blondie & I think Spam Can took to the sky for a successful practice session. Full Noise had a mayday but landed safely taxiing back under its own power.

As of right now all 18 Unlimited's are on the field along with Lady Alice, a special Avenger, POF's Corsair, Betty's Dream, and 23 Skidoo should be making her way over tomorrow evening w/ Steve Sr. Lots of Big Iron on the field this year

More practice tomorrow
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                        Supposedly taxied back under its own power after
                        That would be good.

I had to bail before it left the runway but it was out there for awhile. Hope it's something simple. If they made it back under power, I can only assume it was. It ran around in front of the two Mustangs and the corsair for several laps and looked pretty good. I thought I heard the prop wind up a bit after coming around 9. I believe it was on the lap Argonaut dropped back as the "jammer" and he had to make a pass. They called the simulated mayday around the back just after that and he made 14 no problem. He then grabbed some throttle and I thought I heard the prop wind up again. He pulled back around for 14 and the trucks immediately began to roll. He landed fine, so far as I could tell but, ended up half way down 14 and sat there until the crew showed up.

The air is concentrated this year. That's to say that every little micro system that is so common in this area seems to be more powerful than usual. There's no denying the last year in weather around here has been, well, incredible. The single largest winter in recorded history. One look at the lakes in Red Rock and Lemmon Valley will tell you that. One of the lakes I frequent came up 140' this year. It only holds 70' of water at 300,000 acre ft. Every little storm was exceptionally powerful, dropping massive amounts of super wet snow. That type of characteristic of storm cells has continued through the summer. Wait, am I talking about weather? I forgot, nobody likes talking about the weather.

Monday is qualifying day. Everybody is thinking the same thing. Tuesday and Wednesday day don't look so good...WEATHER WISE!

Bring a jacket and shorts.

Comment

Thanks for the weather report Fence. Bringing a rookie this year and would like to be sure he's prepared.

Comment

Its definitely going to be much cooler this year. Tomorrow is supposed be 87 and then I doubt we'll see 80 again all week. Friday night not get into the 70s at all. Besides Monday, it's a long pants kind of week. I'll even be rocking a hoodie I recon.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                              Thanks for the weather report Fence. Bringing a rookie this year and would like to be sure he's prepared.
                              I got some rookies coming too. I do love to see a rookies face that first time they see an Unlimited race.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                                Nice shot.

Will
                                Thanks Will. I'm a big fan of your work from the hill above outer 4.
                                "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Working...
                                X