Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Merlin Engine be made with better metalurgy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Merlin Engine be made with better metalurgy?

I would like to know if a Rolls Royce Merlin engine can be made using modern metallurgy and still be legal for racing? I realize that when they were made nobody was thinking about modifying the engine to put out over twice the output. That some of the parts used in the racing engines are from the Allison V-12. What I`m thinking is can you cast a block,cilinders and Heads using better metallurgy to make a stronger Merlin? Would it have to go thru a certification process?

Re: Can a Merlin Engine be made with better metalurgy?

Originally posted by F4D Phantom II View Post
    I would like to know if a Rolls Royce Merlin engine can be made using modern metallurgy and still be legal for racing? I realize that when they were made nobody was thinking about modifying the engine to put out over twice the output. That some of the parts used in the racing engines are from the Allison V-12. What I`m thinking is can you cast a block,cilinders and Heads using better metallurgy to make a stronger Merlin? Would it have to go thru a certification process?
    Yes you could. I think some people have made new heads in the past? The problem is not a very big market, big costs involved.
    You would not have to certify anything for an experimental category engine. Some Mustangs are licensed in other categories that would not allow non-standard parts. Just depends on what category the plane is licensed in.

Dave said they cut a Merlin case and did a metallurgical analysis on it, and it was basically junk. Lots of impurities. I said it was probably made of melted-down Messerschmidt's.

Comment

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Jack Roush and Roush Racing have been making top-end parts for the Merlins such as heads, valves, cams, and such.

I'm probably wrong thought...
      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
        Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Jack Roush and Roush Racing have been making top-end parts for the Merlins such as heads, valves, cams, and such.

I recall a t-shirt addressing this particular thing a while back in Voodoo pit haha.
        Tom Johnson,
        Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
        www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

With the new technology of tree D printers the molds for the cast parts could be made. Of course it would take money but how many spare Packard built Merlin engines are left? People love the Mustang plus the engines were used in other warbirds. If the heads have already being done the block and cylinders could be done. I would love to see something like that.Keep them Flying forever!

Comment

It appears some but not many new manufacture parts are available from Roush and 51-factory. Maybe someone in the know can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post

Roush has never made heads. Just pistons and valve train parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                Roush has never made heads. Just pistons and valve train parts.
                I knew I was wrong!
                "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I think it's like anything: yes it can be done if you have the dollars. And I bet re-engineering a Merlin, building, testing and fielding it would be a rather pricey exercise!

But if someone had the money to match the passion and drive...
                  Zac in NZ

Comment

Its more of a manufacturing process than a metallurgy deal I think. Chemistry of steels and other materials haven't changed all that much through the years, yeah we have some more exotic stainless type steels etc. now. The comment about impurities and or inclusions in the cut open case proves its a process thing. You have to ask yourself how many large radial engine crankcases are castings?

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
                      Its more of a manufacturing process than a metallurgy deal I think. Chemistry of steels and other materials haven't changed all that much through the years, yeah we have some more exotic stainless type steels etc. now. The comment about impurities and or inclusions in the cut open case proves its a process thing. You have to ask yourself how many large radial engine crankcases are castings?
                      Youtube a video of pouring aluminum into ingots or forging steel. Cave Man stuff!

Comment

The new space age alloy is called pandalloy.

We've recently sent samples to mahle, cosworth, and a few race teams.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                          Youtube a video of pouring aluminum into ingots or forging steel. Cave Man stuff!
                          P&W are Al forgings, and Wrights Steel forgings. No castings like the inlines.

Comment

Working...
                          X