Rare Bear 3km video, August 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear 3km video, August 1989

The team in Idaho for Voodoo speed record attempt wanted to watch Lyle setting the current record in the Rare Bear at Las Vegas, New Mexico tonight. I uploaded an edited version to my Bradfire YouTube channel with permission from the Shelton estate.

If you haven't seen it before, enjoy. It's all home-video.

Edited video of Lyle Shelton setting the low-altitude propeller driven speed record in the F8F Bearcat "Rare Bear" in August, 1989 at Las Vegas, New Mexico. ...

For over twenty years my camera took a back seat as I hauled the video cam around at the National Championship Air Races in Reno, Nevada. I jokingly dubbed my yearly video chronicles of the races "BradFire", making fun of the professional "SkyFire" videos that came out every year. Many copies of my various tapes were distributed over the years to friends and family, but I finally decided to start downloading some of these videos to YouTube. These were shot from the pits, grandstands, out on the ramp, in the Valley of Speed, and out at the pylons themselves. I shot them for 'me', so there was rarely any narration....mostly letting the sights and sounds of the races speak for themselves. They are almost exclusively shots of the Unlimited Class. I hope you enjoy.

Re: Rare Bear 3km video, August 1989

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    The team in Idaho for Voodoo speed record attempt wanted to watch Lyle setting the current record in the Rare Bear at Las Vegas, New Mexico tonight. I uploaded an edited version to my Bradfire YouTube channel with permission from the Shelton estate.

If you haven't seen it before, enjoy. It's all home-video.

Edited video of Lyle Shelton setting the low-altitude propeller driven speed record in the F8F Bearcat "Rare Bear" in August, 1989 at Las Vegas, New Mexico. ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTM...r-1jSzqNbWusVQ

Thanks Brad! Hmmm 6 passes? Where the heck did I get that from!?!
    John
    John Slack

Comment

very cool... didnt realise they set the record with a 4 blade prop, i always thought they used the big 3 blader for it
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
        Thanks Brad! Hmmm 6 passes? Where the heck did I get that from!?!
        John
        Wait is it not 6 passes?? ****

Comment

Lyle was always a gentleman. Always had time in the pits for a few questions. I miss him.

Comment

I love the sound of the Bear. Someone with big pockets and XL kahunas needs to buy the Bear to race.

Bear and brews along the backstretch fence, ya man.

Thanks for sharing this Brad.

Comment

Man that is awesome!!! Going to be a bummer that Rare Bear won't be at Reno this year.
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                I love the sound of the Bear. Someone with big pockets and XL kahunas needs to buy the Bear to race.

Bear and brews along the backstretch fence, ya man.

Thanks for sharing this Brad.

I don't think money is the issue, rod Lewis has quite a bit of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                  We know that, my comment was based on Rare Bear collecting dust in his cave and not getting any attention!

A lot of fans want to see the Bear out flying.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                    Money is only one component.
                    Last edited by BellCobraIV; 09-01-2017, 10:00 PM.
                    John Slack

Comment

John,
                      -or others in the know-

Where did the idea of running the 3 blade propeller come from for the Bear?
                      I can remember a short article years ago that it was being tested. Right around
                      the time of the "Sky prop" to be tested on Tsunami.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                        John,
                        -or others in the know-

Where did the idea of running the 3 blade propeller come from for the Bear?
                        I can remember a short article years ago that it was being tested. Right around
                        the time of the "Sky prop" to be tested on Tsunami.

To quote Dave Cornell, he once told me that "the three-bladed prop was one of my mistakes".
                        The pulses off the blades beat the heck out of the air-frame (and any thing that was nearby).

Comment

Sure did love the sound and feeling the pulses hitting my chest from the 3 blade prop.

Comment

John,

Check this thread out from back in 2015:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Note the article on post #5; read it; good stuff for what it is worth, but the whole thread I found a good read.

Thank you Wayne and all on here who share with us,
                            CC
                            "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

Sure did love the sound and feeling the pulses hitting my chest from the 3 blade prop.
                              It did all of that and a few MPH as well as it went by. I recon that is why us fans loved it so.

CC
                              "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X