FlightAware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightAware

Does anyone know where the info on FlightAware.com comes from? Is it tracking all transponders or only those aircraft that have filed a flight plan? In looking at KLLJ (Challis, ID) I don't see anyone flying at the moment. Would Voodoo or any of the chase/Pursuit Aviation aircraft be tracked on FlightAware?

Re: FlightAware

I believe it's only aircraft on flight plans

Comment

I believe FlightAware uses ADS-B and Mode S transponder data provided by commercial (and private resources who elect to participate in FlighAware's programing), which is run thru FlighAware's algorithms to track and compute arrival times.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
        Does anyone know where the info on FlightAware.com comes from? Is it tracking all transponders or only those aircraft that have filed a flight plan? In looking at KLLJ (Challis, ID) I don't see anyone flying at the moment. Would Voodoo or any of the chase/Pursuit Aviation aircraft be tracked on FlightAware?
        Generally only aircraft with IFR flight plans filed show up on Flightaware. Voodoo won't show up and neither will the support aircraft most likely.

Comment

If you are a participating ADSB-Out airplane, you're on there. I did some testing on a Legacy a while back, all VFR stuff, and its all on there. EVERYTHING>>>
          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

The T-33 should have ads-b. Get the tail # and we should be able to track it. Assuming there is radar coverage in that area.

Comment

I tracked 3 Google Balloons over NM & NV @ the 60,000' level (Project Loon) & they were only going 15MPH or so. That was yesterday on Flight Radar 24. They were all over the place. I'm sure they didn't have N#s on them. Where in Idaho is "Voodoo"?
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                I tracked 3 Google Balloons over NM & NV @ the 60,000' level (Project Loon) & they were only going 15MPH or so. That was yesterday on Flight Radar 24. They were all over the place. I'm sure they didn't have N#s on them. Where in Idaho is "Voodoo"?
                "...In looking at KLLJ (Challis, ID)..." This seems to be where everyone is saying they're at. However, there is also a private airstrip just to the east in the next valley that may be the location.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                  "...In looking at KLLJ (Challis, ID)..." This seems to be where everyone is saying they're at. However, there is also a private airstrip just to the east in the next valley that may be the location.
                  \

That airport to the east is flying Jones Ranch and according to Google Earth is 7400 feet in length.
                  The topography looks more suited for a record attempt than Challis.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Sierra View Post
                    \

That airport to the east is flying Jones Ranch and according to Google Earth is 7400 feet in length.
                    The topography looks more suited for a record attempt than Challis.
                    I think it's Flying Joseph Ranch? Plus, it's a private airstrip and that seems to match up with other comments on the location - I think the owner is reported to be Joseph Clark of Aviation Partners and some of the comments on the videos on Pursuit Aviation refer to the "Ranch". And, the hanger and ramp areas on the videos and photos so far seem to be a match as well.

I think someone else posted the N number on the Friedkin T-33 in another thread, so we might be able to follow it on FlightAware.com.

Ah, found it on WIX -"...The T-33 is owned by Dan Friedkin (N133AT to be exact)."
                    Last edited by badman; 09-02-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X