Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

I've heard lots of opinions going both ways about Voodoos current configuration and its ability to round the pylons well. The last thing I am is an engineer, and the closest thing I have to actual flight experience other than being a passenger is flight simulators haha, so my curiosity is most definitely peaked. Providing Voodoo shows up, which I have high hopes that they will since I've seen nothing indicating otherwise, I'll be really excited for two things in regards to her that I'm sure all agree with. First, seeing how well the new wing does when flying low, fast, and left as opposed to low, fast, and straight. The second part I'm wondering about goes back to the record attempts. Obviously they had the 3 km plus the 2 km going in and coming out of the course on each lap. I'm curious about how much distance Stevo was covering in his turnarounds and how much he was pulling back the throttle during them. I'm wondering how much run time the Merlin that they've used so far has covered between the two times it's had to come apart. Reno's a long week. I'm curious to see if it'll be Voodoo or Strega that's setting the pace and fast times. I'm more curious if Voodoo will be able to keep it together for the week. The same goes for every team involved, really, but with their activity as of late, my focus on that end of things has gone to Voodoo.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
      Not a relevant comparison. What changes on an unlimited when they go from going fast around Reno to going fast for the 3K record? Fast in a plane is fast whether they're turning or going straight...cars are vastly different...
      Well for one thing, the airfoil on Voodoo was completely changed. The airfoil type they are using now works well in straight and level flight, but tends to have more drag rise under G. Since the course at Reno is basically one big, high G circle it could slow it down compared to years past.

Comment

Originally posted by brendenpavao View Post
        I've heard lots of opinions going both ways about Voodoos current configuration and its ability to round the pylons well. The last thing I am is an engineer, and the closest thing I have to actual flight experience other than being a passenger is flight simulators haha, so my curiosity is most definitely peaked. Providing Voodoo shows up, which I have high hopes that they will since I've seen nothing indicating otherwise, I'll be really excited for two things in regards to her that I'm sure all agree with. First, seeing how well the new wing does when flying low, fast, and left as opposed to low, fast, and straight. The second part I'm wondering about goes back to the record attempts. Obviously they had the 3 km plus the 2 km going in and coming out of the course on each lap. I'm curious about how much distance Stevo was covering in his turnarounds and how much he was pulling back the throttle during them. I'm wondering how much run time the Merlin that they've used so far has covered between the two times it's had to come apart. Reno's a long week. I'm curious to see if it'll be Voodoo or Strega that's setting the pace and fast times. I'm more curious if Voodoo will be able to keep it together for the week. The same goes for every team involved, really, but with their activity as of late, my focus on that end of things has gone to Voodoo.
        Voodoo has 2 engines
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

It sounds like all we are talking about is a 2 plane unlimited Gold race? "Voodoo" versus "Strega" If they last the week. WOW
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by brendenpavao View Post
            Figure a roughly 6 mile minimum turnaround times 3 (19 miles each) plus 12.4 miles total through traps, add in unknown distance at power lining up for first pass. Rough guess would be 70 miles at very high power settings and at least 1/3rd at max.

In comparison a Sunday gold is 64 miles and seldom is the entire race run at full power...............

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              It sounds like all we are talking about is a 2 plane unlimited Gold race? "Voodoo" versus "Strega" If they last the week. WOW
              Rare Bear isn't racing this year?

Comment

Nope. None of Rod Lewis' stable is.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                  Very sad. It would have been a great race gathering Voodoo, Strega and Rarebear.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                    Does anyone know why?

Comment

The website for The Tsunami Project has breaking the Rare Bear record as one of their aims. What speed would they need to fly to beat Voodoo’s?
                      Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                        The website for The Tsunami Project has breaking the Rare Bear record as one of their aims. What speed would they need to fly to beat Voodoo’s?

Comment

Working...
                        X