Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,369

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    Quote Originally Posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
    Apples to kumquats. Voodoo is a different beast than it has ever been.

    The next question to ponder/debate about- will Voodoo break 500 mph in qualifying this year?
    Most likely not with the new timing
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '17

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,163

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Dago and Strega both went faster around the Reno course than Voodoo ever has, so I would also think that means they would be faster through the 3K as well...
    So a stock car will beat a dragster on a 1/4 mile track then?


    How will the dragster do going around Daytona?


    Grampi, I have missed your bizarre logic!

    The things needed to go fast in a straight line are different than the things needed to fly around a pylon course quickly.
    Last edited by flyingjibus; 09-07-2017 at 12:00 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    The main problem I see with Voodoo is the inability to keep the engine healthy when pushed hard. I don't know if its just engine problems or the engine having to work harder to make those speeds. I personally think Strega is a little faster.
    I just dont see Voodoo breaking 500 in qualifying and then winning a hard race against Strega. But I would like to see it happen.

  4. #44

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingjibus View Post
    So a stock car will beat a dragster on a 1/4 mile track then?


    How will the dragster do going around Daytona?


    Grampi, I have missed your bizarre logic!

    The things needed to go fast in a straight line are different than the things needed to fly around a pylon course quickly.
    Not a relevant comparison. What changes on an unlimited when they go from going fast around Reno to going fast for the 3K record? Fast in a plane is fast whether they're turning or going straight...cars are vastly different...

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,163

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Not a relevant comparison. What changes on an unlimited when they go from going fast around Reno to going fast for the 3K record? Fast in a plane is fast whether they're turning or going straight...cars are vastly different...

    Off the top of my head

    User controlled:
    Trim settings
    manifold pressures
    ADI injection
    amount of fuel carried
    altitude

    Airframe:
    Prop size and pitch
    Wing incidence angle


    I am sure there are more.

  6. #46

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    I've heard lots of opinions going both ways about Voodoos current configuration and its ability to round the pylons well. The last thing I am is an engineer, and the closest thing I have to actual flight experience other than being a passenger is flight simulators haha, so my curiosity is most definitely peaked. Providing Voodoo shows up, which I have high hopes that they will since I've seen nothing indicating otherwise, I'll be really excited for two things in regards to her that I'm sure all agree with. First, seeing how well the new wing does when flying low, fast, and left as opposed to low, fast, and straight. The second part I'm wondering about goes back to the record attempts. Obviously they had the 3 km plus the 2 km going in and coming out of the course on each lap. I'm curious about how much distance Stevo was covering in his turnarounds and how much he was pulling back the throttle during them. I'm wondering how much run time the Merlin that they've used so far has covered between the two times it's had to come apart. Reno's a long week. I'm curious to see if it'll be Voodoo or Strega that's setting the pace and fast times. I'm more curious if Voodoo will be able to keep it together for the week. The same goes for every team involved, really, but with their activity as of late, my focus on that end of things has gone to Voodoo.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Not a relevant comparison. What changes on an unlimited when they go from going fast around Reno to going fast for the 3K record? Fast in a plane is fast whether they're turning or going straight...cars are vastly different...
    Well for one thing, the airfoil on Voodoo was completely changed. The airfoil type they are using now works well in straight and level flight, but tends to have more drag rise under G. Since the course at Reno is basically one big, high G circle it could slow it down compared to years past.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,369

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    Quote Originally Posted by brendenpavao View Post
    I've heard lots of opinions going both ways about Voodoos current configuration and its ability to round the pylons well. The last thing I am is an engineer, and the closest thing I have to actual flight experience other than being a passenger is flight simulators haha, so my curiosity is most definitely peaked. Providing Voodoo shows up, which I have high hopes that they will since I've seen nothing indicating otherwise, I'll be really excited for two things in regards to her that I'm sure all agree with. First, seeing how well the new wing does when flying low, fast, and left as opposed to low, fast, and straight. The second part I'm wondering about goes back to the record attempts. Obviously they had the 3 km plus the 2 km going in and coming out of the course on each lap. I'm curious about how much distance Stevo was covering in his turnarounds and how much he was pulling back the throttle during them. I'm wondering how much run time the Merlin that they've used so far has covered between the two times it's had to come apart. Reno's a long week. I'm curious to see if it'll be Voodoo or Strega that's setting the pace and fast times. I'm more curious if Voodoo will be able to keep it together for the week. The same goes for every team involved, really, but with their activity as of late, my focus on that end of things has gone to Voodoo.
    Voodoo has 2 engines
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '17

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    It sounds like all we are talking about is a 2 plane unlimited Gold race? "Voodoo" versus "Strega" If they last the week. WOW
    Lockheed Bob

  10. #50

    Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

    Quote Originally Posted by brendenpavao View Post
    I've heard lots of opinions going both ways about Voodoos current configuration and its ability to round the pylons well. The last thing I am is an engineer, and the closest thing I have to actual flight experience other than being a passenger is flight simulators haha, so my curiosity is most definitely peaked. Providing Voodoo shows up, which I have high hopes that they will since I've seen nothing indicating otherwise, I'll be really excited for two things in regards to her that I'm sure all agree with. First, seeing how well the new wing does when flying low, fast, and left as opposed to low, fast, and straight. The second part I'm wondering about goes back to the record attempts. Obviously they had the 3 km plus the 2 km going in and coming out of the course on each lap. I'm curious about how much distance Stevo was covering in his turnarounds and how much he was pulling back the throttle during them. I'm wondering how much run time the Merlin that they've used so far has covered between the two times it's had to come apart. Reno's a long week. I'm curious to see if it'll be Voodoo or Strega that's setting the pace and fast times. I'm more curious if Voodoo will be able to keep it together for the week. The same goes for every team involved, really, but with their activity as of late, my focus on that end of things has gone to Voodoo.
    Figure a roughly 6 mile minimum turnaround times 3 (19 miles each) plus 12.4 miles total through traps, add in unknown distance at power lining up for first pass. Rough guess would be 70 miles at very high power settings and at least 1/3rd at max.

    In comparison a Sunday gold is 64 miles and seldom is the entire race run at full power...............

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •