Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Quote Originally Posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Yes, I have no idea where the heck the six passes came from. I got it in my head years ago.
    That was always the story I heard from you, Greg, Bill and the rest of the group that was still around when I worked on that airplane.

Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    That was always the story I heard from you, Greg, Bill and the rest of the group that was still around when I worked on that airplane.
    Yes, I know I heard that around the hangar, at home, everywhere...but apparently not.
    John Slack

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    I think when Stevo posts a 4-pass average in the 540's, everyone will tip the hat in due honor and acknowledge Voodoo as the fastest propeller driven, piston powered aircraft of our time.
    No doubt Voodoo is fast, and I think it's faster than Rare Bear, but I think Strega and Dago Red were both faster than Voodoo...

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    No doubt Voodoo is fast, and I think it's faster than Rare Bear, but I think Strega and Dago Red were both faster than Voodoo...
    So is Voodoo up to par with Strega and Dago now after the mods? The airfoil mod is "special" right? Does Strega have any mods that Voodoo doesn't? Strega doesn't have the 0 degree thrust line mod either...
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Voodoo sure is slippery looking these days.
    Wouldn't you say Voodoo takes the best proven modifications of Strega and Dago and combines those into one? ...plus takes it to the next level with more advanced aerodynamics, thrust line mods, etc? It looks like it has caught up and surpassed those two on the strait and level. I don't know of any other Mustang on earth that has made a one way pass through 3K at 554. I think they say the Bear went through(one way) at 540. We are starting to get up into airliner speed territory there!

All in Fun!

Has Voodoo returned home?

I thought the "Voodoo" wing mod was for level flight & not for pylon racing?
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    I thought the "Voodoo" wing mod was for level flight & not for pylon racing?
    False, that has been disproven by some that were involved. "All the mods made to Voodoo were intended to make it faster and lighter in any environment". The concerns are G-loads in sharp turns and a low pressure area created in the tail section that the new wing profile produces. But, those don't seem to be a concern. Voodoo would not be on the entry list if they didn't plan on bringing it.

Right now I do not know if Voodoo is coming. I have no signs pointing to yes and no signs pointing to no. I'm leaning more towards yes as Steven said the plan was to come as of last Tuesday/Wednesday (after the first attempt, before the actual attempt). Everything has been quiet. Hopefully she's at Stead in the next couple days. 60 hours left....
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Voodoo sure is slippery looking these days.
    Wouldn't you say Voodoo takes the best proven modifications of Strega and Dago and combines those into one? ...plus takes it to the next level with more advanced aerodynamics, thrust line mods, etc? It looks like it has caught up and surpassed those two on the strait and level. I don't know of any other Mustang on earth that has made a one way pass through 3K at 554. I think they say the Bear went through(one way) at 540. We are starting to get up into airliner speed territory there!

All in Fun!
    Dago and Strega both went faster around the Reno course than Voodoo ever has, so I would also think that means they would be faster through the 3K as well...

Apples to kumquats. Voodoo is a different beast than it has ever been.

The next question to ponder/debate about- will Voodoo break 500 mph in qualifying this year?