Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Yes, I have no idea where the heck the six passes came from. I got it in my head years ago.
    That was always the story I heard from you, Greg, Bill and the rest of the group that was still around when I worked on that airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
      That was always the story I heard from you, Greg, Bill and the rest of the group that was still around when I worked on that airplane.
      Yes, I know I heard that around the hangar, at home, everywhere...but apparently not.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
        I think when Stevo posts a 4-pass average in the 540's, everyone will tip the hat in due honor and acknowledge Voodoo as the fastest propeller driven, piston powered aircraft of our time.
        No doubt Voodoo is fast, and I think it's faster than Rare Bear, but I think Strega and Dago Red were both faster than Voodoo...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
          No doubt Voodoo is fast, and I think it's faster than Rare Bear, but I think Strega and Dago Red were both faster than Voodoo...
          So is Voodoo up to par with Strega and Dago now after the mods? The airfoil mod is "special" right? Does Strega have any mods that Voodoo doesn't? Strega doesn't have the 0 degree thrust line mod either...
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Voodoo sure is slippery looking these days.
            Wouldn't you say Voodoo takes the best proven modifications of Strega and Dago and combines those into one? ...plus takes it to the next level with more advanced aerodynamics, thrust line mods, etc? It looks like it has caught up and surpassed those two on the strait and level. I don't know of any other Mustang on earth that has made a one way pass through 3K at 554. I think they say the Bear went through(one way) at 540. We are starting to get up into airliner speed territory there!

All in Fun!

Comment

Has Voodoo returned home?

Comment

I thought the "Voodoo" wing mod was for level flight & not for pylon racing?
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                  I thought the "Voodoo" wing mod was for level flight & not for pylon racing?
                  False, that has been disproven by some that were involved. "All the mods made to Voodoo were intended to make it faster and lighter in any environment". The concerns are G-loads in sharp turns and a low pressure area created in the tail section that the new wing profile produces. But, those don't seem to be a concern. Voodoo would not be on the entry list if they didn't plan on bringing it.

Right now I do not know if Voodoo is coming. I have no signs pointing to yes and no signs pointing to no. I'm leaning more towards yes as Steven said the plan was to come as of last Tuesday/Wednesday (after the first attempt, before the actual attempt). Everything has been quiet. Hopefully she's at Stead in the next couple days. 60 hours left....
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    Voodoo sure is slippery looking these days.
                    Wouldn't you say Voodoo takes the best proven modifications of Strega and Dago and combines those into one? ...plus takes it to the next level with more advanced aerodynamics, thrust line mods, etc? It looks like it has caught up and surpassed those two on the strait and level. I don't know of any other Mustang on earth that has made a one way pass through 3K at 554. I think they say the Bear went through(one way) at 540. We are starting to get up into airliner speed territory there!

All in Fun!
                    Dago and Strega both went faster around the Reno course than Voodoo ever has, so I would also think that means they would be faster through the 3K as well...

Comment

Apples to kumquats. Voodoo is a different beast than it has ever been.

The next question to ponder/debate about- will Voodoo break 500 mph in qualifying this year?

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                        Apples to kumquats. Voodoo is a different beast than it has ever been.

The next question to ponder/debate about- will Voodoo break 500 mph in qualifying this year?
                        Most likely not with the new timing
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Dago and Strega both went faster around the Reno course than Voodoo ever has, so I would also think that means they would be faster through the 3K as well...
                          So a stock car will beat a dragster on a 1/4 mile track then?

How will the dragster do going around Daytona?

Grampi, I have missed your bizarre logic!

The things needed to go fast in a straight line are different than the things needed to fly around a pylon course quickly.
                          Last edited by flyingjibus; 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

The main problem I see with Voodoo is the inability to keep the engine healthy when pushed hard. I don't know if its just engine problems or the engine having to work harder to make those speeds. I personally think Strega is a little faster.
                            I just dont see Voodoo breaking 500 in qualifying and then winning a hard race against Strega. But I would like to see it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                              So a stock car will beat a dragster on a 1/4 mile track then?

How will the dragster do going around Daytona?

Grampi, I have missed your bizarre logic!

The things needed to go fast in a straight line are different than the things needed to fly around a pylon course quickly.
                              Not a relevant comparison. What changes on an unlimited when they go from going fast around Reno to going fast for the 3K record? Fast in a plane is fast whether they're turning or going straight...cars are vastly different...

Comment

Not a relevant comparison. What changes on an unlimited when they go from going fast around Reno to going fast for the 3K record? Fast in a plane is fast whether they're turning or going straight...cars are vastly different...

Off the top of my head

User controlled:
                                Trim settings
                                manifold pressures
                                ADI injection
                                amount of fuel carried
                                altitude

Airframe:
                                Prop size and pitch
                                Wing incidence angle

I am sure there are more.

Comment