Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Asking from ignorance here. Thinking I have read about fluid capacity issues for some possible record setting aircraft. Would Tsunami have the tank capacities for fuel/ADI/spraybars to take Rear Bear's 3km record as it was set?
    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Okay, more ignorance from me. What has changed in the way Lyle set the record to the way Voodoo would possibly set the record? FAI changed the parameters?

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
        Okay, more ignorance from me. What has changed in the way Lyle set the record to the way Voodoo would possibly set the record? FAI changed the parameters?
        Less passes have to be done, and I believe the air space in which turns and such have to happen is a bit bigger.

Comment

Current requirements.

4.6.1 Speed Over a 3 Kilometer Course
          4.6.1.1 The objective of this record task is to achieve the greatest average speed over a 3,000
          meter course.
          4.6.1.2 The course shall be approved or declared in writing prior to takeoff.
          4.6.1.3 The course shall meet the following dimensions:
          The course shall be a minimum of 3,000 meters in length; and
          The course shall have defined approaches of at least 1,000 meters, and
          The course and its approaches shall have a maximum width of 500 meters.
          4.6.1.4 The flight performance shall be flown as four consecutive runs over the course, with
          each consecutive run flown in the opposite direction.
          4.6.1.5 The average of the elevations of the start and the finish points shall be the basis for
          determining the maximum height allowed.
          4.6.1.6 The altitude of the aeroplane at the finish line shall not be more than 100 meters below
          the altitude at the beginning of the approach.
          4.6.1.7 The aircraft’s height shall not exceed 500 meters above the average of the elevations
          of the start and finish points (as described in 4.6.1.5) during the flight performance.
          4.6.1.8 The flight performance begins upon entering the approach to the first start point and
          ends at the last finish point.
          4.6.1.9 The flight performance shall be completed within 30 minutes.
          4.6.1.10 The achieved speed shall be the average speed of the four individual runs.
          FAI SPORTING CODE - SECTION 2 15
          January 2016 Edition
          4.6.1.11 The timing of the event shall be accomplished by timing each run individually using
          synchronized timing devices to determine start and finish times. The course length
          shall be divided by the elapsed time to determine the speed for each run.
          4.6.1.12 The aeroplane shall not land or refuel during the flight performance.

If memory serves correctly:
          1989 Rules:
          200m Width for the course (Due to timing Cameras)
          Max altitude over the course of 150m (This was changed to 100m deviation)

There was also a change from cameras to GPS for timing

There has never been a restriction for the turnaround other than the 500m altitude.

Comment

So basically no difference.

Technology has come a long way in nearly 30 years. I bet when we took the record from the Germans we had a slight advantage as well!

I think when Stevo posts a 4-pass average in the 540's, everyone will tip the hat in due honor and acknowledge Voodoo as the fastest propeller driven, piston powered aircraft of our time.

I'd like to see Czech Mate make a run at the record as well. It's done 540's in level flight. If only that gear was longer...

- Joseph

Comment

I believe Lyle had to make 6 passes. Which is a pretty big difference in my book.

Comment

Only 4 consecutive were required, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                  Only 4 consecutive were required, however.
                  Six passes were required, the fastest four out of the six were averaged to establish the result.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                    Six passes were required, the fastest four out of the six were averaged to establish the result.
                    You are incorrect, only 4 passes were required in 1989. 6 passes would be the equivalent of over 10 laps at reno

Comment

I have been basing the 6 passes on info from John Slack, which may have been incorrect per info in the other thread.

This is a silly dispute and I apologize for my part in it!

Voodoo is great! Steve-o is great! Lyle Shelton will always be a legend!

Go FAST!

Comment

According to the Pursuit FB page, the engine is assembled and tests today with an attempt tomorrow. Good news!

Comment

Just for Nostalgia...this is in Krakow in the back corner of the Polish Aviation Museum. Hopefully this works, just switched to Imgur.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                            I have been basing the 6 passes on info from John Slack, which may have been incorrect per info in the other thread.

This is a silly dispute and I apologize for my part in it!

Voodoo is great! Steve-o is great! Lyle Shelton will always be a legend!

Go FAST!
                            Yes, I have no idea where the heck the six passes came from. I got it in my head years ago.
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                              Form an article about the 2013 races : Piloted by Steve Hinton Jr., Button’s pride and joy topped out at 502 mph during the eight-lap championships race on Sept. 14, averaging 487 mph while flying mostly within 200 feet of the ground.
                              That's why I put +/- 500 mph.
                              I had him on the clock for that too. 1/2 lap though.........
                              "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
                                I had him on the clock for that too. 1/2 lap though.........
                                Hey, if we are counting the half laps, I think Mike Brown holds that record at 510 or something like that.....

Comment

Working...
                                X