Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    If he breaks the record, which I'm hoping he does.............it will probably be a long time if ever it's broke again. Don't see to many hot rod Piston engine, Prop driven airplanes out their capable of that kind of speed, let alone someone interested in trying. GOOOOOOoooooooooo Steveo and Voodoo.
    I think someone or some people that are interested in the 3K record is the Tsunami camp. I know that this is a ways off, but, who knows. If that project comes together, that aircraft was designed for the 3K.

Default Re: What do you think the chances are that Voodoo will break the record??

I think their chances are great. I'm sure the Voodoo brain-trust has that airplane tweaked to a gnat's ass. It's up to things out of their control: weather.....

I would like to just put out there something that has been overlooked as the endeavor has played out with this 3km attempt. This was Bill Kerchenfaut's idea. This was his suggestion, some of the mods that were slowly being done over the course of a couple of years were all from his urging. His services were deemed no longer required before they came to fruition, however.

His name seems to be lost in all this, and I think it's important that in spite of all the effort that the current team is putting forth on making this happen, that Kerch's contributions leading up to this not be forgotten.
    Last edited by Big_Jim; 08-28-2017 at 10:34 AM.

DO I think Voodoo can set a record under the new requirements? Yes

Do I think Voodoo could break Lyle's record as it was set? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    I would like to just put out there something that has been overlooked as the endeavor has played out with this 3km attempt. This was Bill Kerchenfaut's idea. This was his suggestion, the mods that were slowly being done over the course of a couple of years were all from his urging. His services were deemed no longer required before they came to fruition, however.

His name seems to be lost in all this, and I think it's important that in spite of all the effort that the current team is putting forth on making this happen, that Kerch's contributions leading up to this not be forgotten.
    Amen! We miss you, Kerch. I'm sure you're watching from above.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Asking from ignorance here. Thinking I have read about fluid capacity issues for some possible record setting aircraft. Would Tsunami have the tank capacities for fuel/ADI/spraybars to take Rear Bear's 3km record as it was set?

Okay, more ignorance from me. What has changed in the way Lyle set the record to the way Voodoo would possibly set the record? FAI changed the parameters?

Quote Originally Posted by Reever View Post
    Okay, more ignorance from me. What has changed in the way Lyle set the record to the way Voodoo would possibly set the record? FAI changed the parameters?
    Less passes have to be done, and I believe the air space in which turns and such have to happen is a bit bigger.

Current requirements.

4.6.1 Speed Over a 3 Kilometer Course
    4.6.1.1 The objective of this record task is to achieve the greatest average speed over a 3,000
    meter course.
    4.6.1.2 The course shall be approved or declared in writing prior to takeoff.
    4.6.1.3 The course shall meet the following dimensions:
    The course shall be a minimum of 3,000 meters in length; and
    The course shall have defined approaches of at least 1,000 meters, and
    The course and its approaches shall have a maximum width of 500 meters.
    4.6.1.4 The flight performance shall be flown as four consecutive runs over the course, with
    each consecutive run flown in the opposite direction.
    4.6.1.5 The average of the elevations of the start and the finish points shall be the basis for
    determining the maximum height allowed.
    4.6.1.6 The altitude of the aeroplane at the finish line shall not be more than 100 meters below
    the altitude at the beginning of the approach.
    4.6.1.7 The aircraft’s height shall not exceed 500 meters above the average of the elevations
    of the start and finish points (as described in 4.6.1.5) during the flight performance.
    4.6.1.8 The flight performance begins upon entering the approach to the first start point and
    ends at the last finish point.
    4.6.1.9 The flight performance shall be completed within 30 minutes.
    4.6.1.10 The achieved speed shall be the average speed of the four individual runs.
    FAI SPORTING CODE - SECTION 2 15
    January 2016 Edition
    4.6.1.11 The timing of the event shall be accomplished by timing each run individually using
    synchronized timing devices to determine start and finish times. The course length
    shall be divided by the elapsed time to determine the speed for each run.
    4.6.1.12 The aeroplane shall not land or refuel during the flight performance.

If memory serves correctly:
    1989 Rules:
    200m Width for the course (Due to timing Cameras)
    Max altitude over the course of 150m (This was changed to 100m deviation)

There was also a change from cameras to GPS for timing

There has never been a restriction for the turnaround other than the 500m altitude.

So basically no difference.

Technology has come a long way in nearly 30 years. I bet when we took the record from the Germans we had a slight advantage as well!

I think when Stevo posts a 4-pass average in the 540's, everyone will tip the hat in due honor and acknowledge Voodoo as the fastest propeller driven, piston powered aircraft of our time.

I'd like to see Czech Mate make a run at the record as well. It's done 540's in level flight. If only that gear was longer...

- Joseph