Record attempt news ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Record attempt news ??

Voodoo's numbers really accentuate the Bear's superior accelleration out of the turns, and why the record wasn't broken.... even while entering the course at 554mph (the Bear's best pass was in the range of 540).

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
      Wow.. I didn't see this coming! This should increase the purple rivalry. Come-on Mr. Lewis - bring the bear back!
      That would be pointless:

1. The record was not broken.

2. It's unlikely the Bear would even be able to break it's own standing record without using NOX.

3. The braintrust involved with point #2 is no longer involved.
      Last edited by RichH; 09-02-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
        That would be pointless:

1. The record was not broken.

2. The Bear would not even be able to break it's own standing record without using NOX.

3. The braintrust involved with point #2 is no longer involved.
        What I didn't see coming was 531.. less than the 533+ mark we were all hoping for. I would have thought 540's all day. Probably not 100% healthy, it doesn't appear.

Great runs though! That first pass was screamin'!

Comment

Voodoo's numbers really accentuate the Bear's superior accelleration out of the turns, and why the record wasn't broken.... even while entering the course at 554mph (the Bear's best pass was in the range of 540).
          How do you figure? Do you have flight path tracking plots of both record flights to compare the turn radii and distance from the entry "gates"?
          Last edited by 1:1 Scale; 09-02-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Maybe they are not done.

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
              How do you figure? Do you have flight path tracking plots of both record flights to compare the turn radio and distance from the entry "gates"?
              No... but I recall the successive pass speeds were higher on the Bear's run. Also.... considering the obvious airframe/engine differences, that is my conclusion.

Comment

No... but I recall the successive pass speeds were higher on the Bear's run. Also.... considering the obvious airframe/engine differences, that is my conclusion.

As I recall , the boil-off oil cooler added about 11 (I can't remember if it was knots or mph) at the same power settings as without the boil-off. Saved about 400 hp that it took to drag the old oil cooler through the air.
                Then they took it to Texas on a trailer and de-tuned it, so we will never know what it could have done about besting it's own speeds in the 3k.
                The fastest plane also requires a first-class pilot to be a winner.

Congratulations to Stevo and all the team!!!

Comment

For those who may not have seen it, here is the link to the video of all four passes in succession posted on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYj6NgyjShW

The first pass was screamin'. What an amazing sound.

Cheers to the whole group for making this event happen and wishing them safe travels to arrive at Stead with sufficient time to prepare for racing.

I can't wait to get there.

Bob
                  Triple-B

Comment

Wow, what a great way to to enjoy your morning coffee, reading this thread. Hats off to the Voodoo team and Steve Hinton Jr.

A big thank you to everyone that post here, makes for an enjoyable week, kind off like a early start to the Reno Air Races - Pre-season.

Thank you Lon and Bob for posting the numbers and video. That video and Voodoos sound rocked.

Originally posted by Triple-B View Post
                    For those who may not have seen it, here is the link to the video of all four passes in succession posted on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYj6NgyjShW

The first pass was screamin'. What an amazing sound.

Cheers to the whole group for making this event happen and wishing them safe travels to arrive at Stead with sufficient time to prepare for racing.

I can't wait to get there.

Bob

Comment

• Re: Record attempt news ??

So is that motor lunched? Are they switching to the next motor? Is it "identical"? Just what are they going to have when they get to Reno?
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                        So is that motor lunched? Are they switching to the next motor? Is it "identical"? Just what are they going to have when they get to Reno?
                        So it isn't destroyed but it wouldn't be good to fly on is what I'm getting. I've heard from everyone there except the team directly that there are 2 race engines. I think the plan has always been get the record on the first and save one for Reno. Otherwise they wouldn't have registered to race. After the misfire on Sunday, they took the couple of days to fix that engine instead of dropping the new one in most likely for that reason. If the engine got fried on Sunday, then they would've switched to #2 and probably wouldn't make Reno (safely or competitively). Chris Fahey said on Tuesday or Wednesday (post first attempt) that Reno was still in the plan. They had to have known that the engine was going to get pretty beat up to get the record done, which it did, so I'm thinking the second engine will go in and they go to Reno.
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

They have a week from tomorrow at noon, *if* something hiccups tomorrow Reno might be a stretch, or they pack it up and use the second engine at Reno. If they set it tomorrow they have a week for Reno. The plan the past few days has been Reno soooo
                          Wow. After a vacation, then back for a 70-hour week, my internal calendar is way off! I was only a week off...
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

First of all, Congrats to Steven & Crew!!

One of the things that I have always found interesting is the "Throwaway" that has become a necessity with race Merlins so I did a little research for fun:

The engine that RB set the record with was built prior to Reno 88
                            Reno 88 Top Qual @ 474, Gold Win 456
                            1989 3km 528.329, Top Qual 468, Gold Win 450
                            1990 2nd Qual 468 (Strega 470) Gold Win 470
                            1991 Top Qual 475, Gold Win 481
                            Engine Overheated/Ruined by Non-Qualified pilot post 91 Reno

This engine accumulated approx 150 hrs over it's life......................

Also of note looking back is the course during this time was over 9 miles, so the equivalent of just over 9 laps on today's course.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                              First of all, Congrats to Steven & Crew!!

One of the things that I have always found interesting is the "Throwaway" that has become a necessity with race Merlins so I did a little research for fun:

The engine that RB set the record with was built prior to Reno 88
                              Reno 88 Top Qual @ 474, Gold Win 456
                              1989 3km 528.329, Top Qual 468, Gold Win 450
                              1990 2nd Qual 468 (Strega 470) Gold Win 470
                              1991 Top Qual 475, Gold Win 481
                              Engine Overheated/Ruined by Non-Qualified pilot post 91 Reno

This engine accumulated approx 150 hrs over it's life......................

Also of note looking back is the course during this time was over 9 miles, so the equivalent of just over 9 laps on today's course.
                              It won Hamilton as well. All without any work except for about a half dozen cylinder changes over the 88 - 91 time period.
                              John
                              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                                It won Hamilton as well. All without any work except for about a half dozen cylinder changes over the 88 - 91 time period.
                                John
                                Which makes the whole era of '88-'91 even more spectacular....

John- Thanks for detailing this thread- and being there!

Was the record run with the orion three blade?

Does anyone have video/film of the Bear's record runs? Would be great to see !

Comment

Working...
                                X