Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Record attempt news ??

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
    The delay could also be weather related, the forecast looks to be warmer at the end of the week again.

I'd rather see them get the record and skip Reno. They've won Reno three times, Steve's won it seven times, there's nothing left to prove there. The record on the other hand has stood for 28 years, and Steve would be just the fifth person in 78 years to hold the record. To me that is much more prestigious than winning another Reno gold, which is not guaranteed either.
    I'm just looking at it from a Reno perspective. If Voodoo doesn't show up, people get pissed at RARA, numbers go down, people decide not to come (this year, next year, etc.) Reno needs saved NOW. The record doesn't need to be broken, and the attempt itself has generated enough attention for piston warbirds without even being broken yet. These planes wouldn't exist without Reno, if Reno is gone what do we have to look forward to anymore??? Tsunami attempting to break the record in 50 years??? Having Unlimited racing to watch in Reno every year is much more important to everyone except the Voodoo Team who of course wants to be in the record books. Nobody wants to watch a livestream on Facebook of a record attempt every 30 years, over attending and experiencing Reno once a year... Again not taking anything away from the Voodoo Team, but the state of the Unlimited's is not good to begin with, Voodoo as a no-show is bad news... This is not about Voodoo winning Reno, it's about having 2 Gold contenders so the crowd enjoys it and wants to come back...
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-29-2017, 11:45 AM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Starting to get a bit frustrated that people are saying "Break the Lyle Shelton record" This is not that record attempt. That record will stand forever.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
        Starting to get a bit frustrated that people are saying "Break the Lyle Shelton record" This is not that record attempt. That record will stand forever.
        Beating Whiteside's 318mph just doesn't have the same appeal......................

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          Not happening for a couple days minimum now. It doesn't seem like they know what's wrong... Call it and come to Reno...
          I'm told they have identified the problem: it is being resolved and the new target date is set for Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
            Beating Whiteside's 318mph just doesn't have the same appeal......................
            Funny how even Rod Lewis is willing to admit that the Bear's record is what's at stake...

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
              Funny how even Rod Lewis is willing to admit that the Bear's record is what's at stake...
              Maybe thats a good thing for him and the Bear? Get him interested again.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                Technically, yes, they are breaking Will's record since Lyle's was retired. However, I think they plan to put up a number so high that no one will question it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                  From the FAI website,

C-1e Speed over a 3 km course - 1 : internal combustion engine 511.79 km/h 2012-04-23 Will Whiteside Jr (USA) ratified - current record 16531

C-1 Speed over a 3 km course - 1 : internal combustion engine 850.24 km/h 1989-08-21 Lyle Shelton (USA) ratified - retired by changes of the sporting code 8437

Can argue all day however the fact is that the record was retired.
                  If they were serious about breaking Lyle's record then they would have to do it under the identical parameters.

Even when we were prepping RB for a 3k attempt it was to set a new record not "beat" Lyle's

Comment

Brad Haskin/Big Jim posted this on the Voodoo fb this aftyernoon

This photo was posted this morning by Chris Fahey. Note the entire left bank is off of the motor. That is your update. Until the reason for that is rectified, there won't be any flying.
                    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                      From the FAI website,

C-1e Speed over a 3 km course - 1 : internal combustion engine 511.79 km/h 2012-04-23 Will Whiteside Jr (USA) ratified - current record 16531

C-1 Speed over a 3 km course - 1 : internal combustion engine 850.24 km/h 1989-08-21 Lyle Shelton (USA) ratified - retired by changes of the sporting code 8437

Can argue all day however the fact is that the record was retired.
                      If they were serious about breaking Lyle's record then they would have to do it under the identical parameters.

Even when we were prepping RB for a 3k attempt it was to set a new record not "beat" Lyle's

This! What voodoo and Steve-o are doing is EASIER!

Comment

Thanks for this update and picture from above.
                        With the shadows, am I seeing the re-profiling of the wing that seems to extend onto the flaps and transitions out near the aileron junction? Same shadow on what is visible of the left wing flap / aileron junction.

Also notice with aircraft parked, aren't the flaps normally hanging down from loss of hydraulic pressure? Might this suggest that flaps are fixed / sealed with this wing profile and record attempts?

The distant and poor resolution video I watched of the attempt the other day seemed like an unusual takeoff roll, but even more impressive was the landing roll. I only seemed to see it rolling out with the tail down but it seemed to be hauling @ss and disappeared down the long runway. I know he landed in opposite direction of takeoff but I don't know how much downwind component there was. Don't recall seeing flaps down or maybe they had already been retracted?

Interested if anyone sees this shadow in the photo, and if so, is it showing the change or is it normal / something else?

Comment

Originally posted by o4asf260 View Post
                          Thanks for this update and picture from above.
                          With the shadows, am I seeing the re-profiling of the wing that seems to extend onto the flaps and transitions out near the aileron junction? Same shadow on what is visible of the left wing flap / aileron junction.

Also notice with aircraft parked, aren't the flaps normally hanging down from loss of hydraulic pressure? Might this suggest that flaps are fixed / sealed with this wing profile and record attempts?

The distant and poor resolution video I watched of the attempt the other day seemed like an unusual takeoff roll, but even more impressive was the landing roll. I only seemed to see it rolling out with the tail down but it seemed to be hauling @ss and disappeared down the long runway. I know he landed in opposite direction of takeoff but I don't know how much downwind component there was. Don't recall seeing flaps down or maybe they had already been retracted?

Interested if anyone sees this shadow in the photo, and if so, is it showing the change or is it normal / something else?
                          Interesting observation - now that I look at that photo more closely it looks different to me too. Plus, I now notice I can't see the wing and gun bay tank filler caps anymore. Did they just do a really great job re-profiling around them or are they actually covered up?

On the flap question, I quickly looked at all of the other photos and didn't see anywhere the flaps were down. I didn't look at the record attempt landing video again to confirm.

The record attempt video sure seemed to show a very long take-off roll though.

Comment

It's very hard to tell what position the flaps are in from the live video.

A pilot friend reminded me that takeoff rolls are always very long in hot dry air. I think it was somewhere in the 90-91 degree range at the time.

Comment

That did seem a long take-off roll. And she sure was MOVIN' when she set down.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                                Interesting observation - now that I look at that photo more closely it looks different to me too. Plus, I now notice I can't see the wing and gun bay tank filler caps anymore. Did they just do a really great job re-profiling around them or are they actually covered up?

On the flap question, I quickly looked at all of the other photos and didn't see anywhere the flaps were down. I didn't look at the record attempt landing video again to confirm.

The record attempt video sure seemed to show a very long take-off roll though.
                                Flaps are not fixed based on pictures on FB, and I don't know why there would be a visible line between the wing and the flaps if they fixed them in the up position....

Taking a stab at the altimeter setting and dew point, and based on a 90F day that someone else mentioned, the density altitude is going to be around 8700 feet. Take off and landing rolls will be considerably longer and faster than what we're used to seeing.

Comment

Working...
                                X