Record attempt news ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Record attempt news ??

Stevo took off and landed less than 10 minutes later. Something is amiss, the cowl is off and they're looking inside.
    Last edited by Ken Adkins; 08-28-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
      Just wanted to ask a question. There has been a lot of talk about Voodoo racing at Reno if the engine is still in good enough shape after the record attempt..or at least that is how I am understanding it. I don't want to get flamed for this, but I seem to have read that when the Red Baron crashed at Reno, it was using the same engine that it used to set the record. Do I remember it wrong?
      You do not remember it wrong at all. The RB5 (race 5) broke while using the same motor from speed trials just two weeks before Reno. While yes the props caused a lot of drag, the engine still broke. That is why it went down. Sweet Dreams (race 5) also went down after speed trials just two weeks before Reno but that was a structural failure. It's really kind of upsetting to me that the Voodoo team (race 5) is doing this two weeks before Reno. Someone once told me it is unlucky to be superstitious but...

I'm hoping that by saying this over and over it will just make me look stupid and Voodoo and Stevo will be just fine.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
        Stevo took off and landed less than 10 minutes later. Something is amiss, the cowl is off and they're looking inside.
        Thanks for the update. I hope its sonething simple. I'm still anxious to see 530+.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Ultimately the situation with the RB was a bit different because of the prop configuration. An engine failure is an engine failure, happens all the time in racing. In the RB's case when the oil loss led to a flat pitch condition the drag was simply too much. It happened at a bad time on the approach and left Steve with no options. I was there and his sink rate increased dramatically at the time we heard the scream of the prop. Also have talked to Steve about it several years ago, plus all the matching accounts.
          My understanding is that Precious Metal had (has) a reserve oil system for just this probability.
          Except for Jeannie in 82 I have not seen that kind of failure, and that one was a governor.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Scott Germain just posted on Voodoo fb that....
            The engine sneezed as Stevo came up to something around 3,400 rpm and FT. He got the power back quickly, and set up to land. He still had power on landing. There were no dramatic signs on the side of the airplane that it wasn't happy - just the engine is unhappy.

They're digging into it to find the problem and make a plan.......
            Last edited by Lon Moer; 08-28-2017, 06:14 PM.
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Ok. It's a given that we want both....but, if it gets right done to it, would you rather see Voodoo get the record and skip Reno....or postpone the attempt and race?

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                Ok. It's a given that we want both....but, if it gets right done to it, would you rather see Voodoo get the record and skip Reno....or postpone the attempt and race?
                Reno because the record can be done at any other time (I know summer is good for weather etc.) but I doubt I'm the only one that doesn't want a "boring" repeat of last year watching Strega do 440 all weekend. That's not Reno! I love sport and jet gold too but cmon man nothing can top a Strega, Voodoo showdown at Reno.

I think in Team V's eyes it's record first Reno second which is completely understandable. Let's hope both happen... the other thing is that RARA put a big emphasis on is Strega and Voodoo both racing. If V doesn't show up of course it's nobody's fault but the people who don't really understand anything other than themselves might call out RARA for "lying". Just my 2 cents. Hoping everyone stays safe and we go 2/2 in records and races

Let me just add that I'll be at Reno every year the rest of my life even if Air Biscuit is the fastest plane in the UNL field. I can say that plenty of fans are right there with me. The problem is that us fans aren't enough to make Reno grow (and thrive) into the future. We need more PEOPLE walking through the gates. I can promise that a handful of people pulled the trigger on Reno 2017 because of the 2 SuperStang shootout. If that doesn't occur, these "fans" may just call it quits because the Unlimited gold wasn't what they bought they were promised by RARA, it was Strega lapping the field. I did say I wouldn't like a repeat of last years Gold if I had the choice, but that's the first time since I can recall that there was only ONE plane capable of winning Gold if nobody broke. Not sure where I'm going with this, but I think all you can pick up what I'm trying to say... Here's to Reno 2017!!
                Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-28-2017, 07:45 PM.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                  Reno because the record can be done at any other time (I know summer is good for weather etc.) but I doubt I'm the only one that doesn't want a "boring" repeat of last year watching Strega do 440 all weekend. That's not Reno! I love sport and jet gold too but cmon man nothing can top a Strega, Voodoo showdown at Reno.

I think in Team V's eyes it's record first Reno second which is completely understandable. Let's hope both happen... the other thing is that RARA put a big emphasis on is Strega and Voodoo both racing. If V doesn't show up of course it's nobody's fault but the people who don't really understand anything other than themselves might call out RARA for "lying". Just my 2 cents. Hoping everyone stays safe and we go 2/2 in records and races
                  I think location, timing and weather plays a huge factor. I doubt Lyle and crew chose Las Vegas, New Mexico for the quality of its accommodations. It needs to be hot, so the air is thinner. It needs to be high, so the air is thinner, and it needs to be dry, so cooling can be achieved.
                  Trying to find a suitable location and then trying to guess when it might give the best chance to set a record before someone spends a ton of money getting the airplane, crew and the FAI there, plus dealing with the FAA , must be maddening. Unfortunately, given the history of these attempts all of those things line up in late summer. It's no coincidence they've all happened shortly before the NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                    I think location, timing and weather plays a huge factor. I doubt Lyle and crew chose Las Vegas, New Mexico for the quality of its accommodations. It needs to be hot, so the air is thinner. It needs to be high, so the air is thinner, and it needs to be dry, so cooling can be achieved.
                    Trying to find a suitable location and then trying to guess when it might give the best chance to set a record before someone spends a ton of money getting the airplane, crew and the FAI there, plus dealing with the FAA , must be maddening. Unfortunately, given the history of these attempts all of those things line up in late summer. It's no coincidence they've all happened shortly before the NCAR.
                    FAA doesn't have much say when it's done on a private airfield.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                      I agree, I just think that for Voodoo's situation specifically it wouldn't be that difficult to reschedule this (and they probably have that in mind if things don't work out this time). The airfield is most likely always open for them because of who owns it, like Race 5 said, FAA on a private strip isn't a problem at all, airplane is basically ready to run the 3km at any given moment when the engine is ready. I know there are some changes to be made from best fit for Reno to best fit for the 3km, but I don't get the impression that it involves taking the whole plane apart and starting from scratch (or Reno would be 0% at this time). Weather is the biggest timing issue, but again, Reno happens once a year, the only time you're allowed to "reschedule" it is for next September during a one week period lol. The record has a pretty good span of time to be done in each year.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                        FAA doesn't have much say when it's done on a private airfield.
                        Sec. 91.117 — Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).
                        (b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34292, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91–219, 55 FR 34708, Aug. 24, 1990; Amdt. 91–227, 56 FR 65657, Dec. 17, 1991; Amdt. 91–233, 58 FR 43554, Aug. 17, 1993]

Comment

Let me just add that I'll be at Reno every year the rest of my life even if Air Biscuit is the fastest plane in the UNL field. I can say that plenty of fans are right there with me. The problem is that us fans aren't enough to make Reno grow (and thrive) into the future. We need more PEOPLE walking through the gates. I can promise that a handful of people pulled the trigger on Reno 2017 because of the 2 SuperStang shootout. If that doesn't occur, these "fans" may just call it quits because the Unlimited gold wasn't what they bought they were promised by RARA, it was Strega lapping the field. I did say I wouldn't like a repeat of last years Gold if I had the choice, but that's the first time since I can recall that there was only ONE plane capable of winning Gold if nobody broke. Not sure where I'm going with this, but I think all you can pick up what I'm trying to say... Here's to Reno 2017!!
                          Agreed. Saturday Gold heat in '14 sure had everybody on their feet when Tiger dove in on Steve on that final lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            My understanding is that Precious Metal had (has) a reserve oil system for just this probability.
                            Except for Jeannie in 82 I have not seen that kind of failure, and that one was a governor.
                            I believe Thom also proved that it works as intended during his deadstick a few years ago.

Comment

Not happening for a couple days minimum now. It doesn't seem like they know what's wrong... Call it and come to Reno...
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Not happening for a couple days minimum now. It doesn't seem like they know what's wrong... Call it and come to Reno...
                                The delay could also be weather related, the forecast looks to be warmer at the end of the week again.

I'd rather see them get the record and skip Reno. They've won Reno three times, Steve's won it seven times, there's nothing left to prove there. The record on the other hand has stood for 28 years, and Steve would be just the fifth person in 78 years to hold the record. To me that is much more prestigious than winning another Reno gold, which is not guaranteed either.

Comment

Working...
                                X