Record attempt news ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record attempt news ??

Any word on when and where the attempt will be ??

Re: Record attempt news ??

I'm fairly confident that this will not be disclosed. We will hear about it after it happens, and likely only if they set a record.

Comment

We know where it is, Idaho... We have a good idea of where at exactly in Idaho (if you read the other thread you can figure it out).

We know Voodoo is at that location already.

It'll be within the next couple days (today, Friday, Saturday..?)

And like jibus said, we will probably know very little if they don't make it, if they do make it, we probably won't know too much for a couple weeks...
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

After lurking this page forever, I finally joined up when someone mentioned it in the engines thread, so this is my first time commenting here. Anyway, from what I've read on their Facebook page, the most that's been said among those involved is that the weather this weekend is looking like it'll be the best for the attempt, but that's as much detail as I've seen on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          Any word on when and where the attempt will be ??
          It will not be today (24 Aug 2017)

I'm told it will be this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by brendenpavao View Post
            After lurking this page forever, I finally joined up when someone mentioned it in the engines thread, so this is my first time commenting here. Anyway, from what I've read on their Facebook page, the most that's been said among those involved is that the weather this weekend is looking like it'll be the best for the attempt, but that's as much detail as I've seen on the subject.
            Nice first post. It's always nice when someone comes out of shadows and joins in on discussions.

Welcome on board.

Comment

I might have found it. 5600 msl 7000 ft paved runway, looks like no one around for a loooooooooong ways.
              Last edited by supercub; 08-24-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Welcome!
                Random Air Blog

Comment

There is a production crew filming the attempt. They are using a really high tech camera rig mounted under the nose of a T-33 for the in flight shots.

Comment

I'll bet Steve Hinton Sr. will be flying the T33.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody. I've been an aviation nut since before I could walk, and air racing has been one of those things that I unfortunately have no personal involvement with, but my father got dragged to Reno for business some time in the 90s when I was just a little boy. He ended up going to the races while he was out there. It blew him away and how he described it intrigued me. Shortly after that, internet became mainstream and I dug for what I could about it. I grew up in a short track racing family. Between being a fan, a driver, and part of the crew, I really began to notice the similarities to the air racing community between these same groups, in addition to the similarities between the two of them in general. Especially as I've gotten a bit older. Every conversation I see on this website or on fan pages on Facebook is what I'd expect to hear in the pits or at the bar after features wrap up on Saturday night.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody. I've been an aviation nut since before I could walk, and air racing has been one of those things that I unfortunately have no personal involvement with, but my father got dragged to Reno for business some time in the 90s when I was just a little boy. He ended up going to the races while he was out there. It blew him away and how he described it intrigued me. Shortly after that, internet became mainstream and I dug for what I could about it. I grew up in a short track racing family. Between being a fan, a driver, and part of the crew, I really began to notice the similarities to the air racing community between these same groups, in addition to the similarities between the two of them in general. Especially as I've gotten a bit older. Every conversation I see on this website or on fan pages on Facebook is what I'd expect to hear in the pits or at the bar after features wrap up on Saturday night.
                        Racing is racing!!!! If it moves, its only a matter of time before people want to find out which one moves faster!

Auto racing, motorcycle racing, hydroplane racing, airplane racing,....... WE ALL HAVE THE SAME DISEASE!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          Racing is racing!!!! If it moves, its only a matter of time before people want to find out which one moves faster!

Auto racing, motorcycle racing, hydroplane racing, airplane racing,....... WE ALL HAVE THE SAME DISEASE!!
                          That we do, my friend. Growing up, my cousin and I shared dreams. We wanted to fly planes and race cars. As we got older, I raced in karts for a bit, and eventually moved up to racing mini sprint cars and Ford Focus midgets on occasion. Around that time, my cousin started flying. Now, ten or twelve years later or so, he's flying 777s for Southern Air and I'm still crewing on a super late model team and doing some occasional drag racing and autocross. Unfortunately, health issues keep me from driving more, but hey, I make the best of it all. One of these years I'm hoping that my health will allow me the freedom to travel out to Reno come September.

Comment

What's really drawn me to this community as opposed to just the racing is that feeling is clear among everybody. Not many people are lucky enough to be part of a community where you can learn straight from the horse's mouth. I'm not sure why I lurked forever when it seems that everybody is so approachable and happy to talk and answer questions. Probably because I figured I don't have much real input to give, but what better way to learn than to jump right in?

Comment

Update from Facebook via Shannon Sanders Swager:

Everything is set for flight test on the 3km record path.

Comment

Working...
                              X