Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conquest I Pictures

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Prior to her first flight, when Lyle realized that the R-3350 was going to require a completely different engine mount Bill Hickle was tasked with designing a new mount. Since a new mount was required the thrust angle was reduced to align more closely with the centerline of the airframe. If you look at a picture of the Bearcat when Lyle had the stock Bearcat cowling on it you can see the filler piece that physically shows the difference in angle between stock and where we went with the new mount.

John
    Listening to Bill give an honest account of how he got involved initially is an eye opener. I'll not forget his stories of flying Cubs backwards due to headwinds. He is another person that has never gotten any proper credit regarding the bearcat. No offense intended.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
      The F6F Hellcat had 3 degrees down thrust to help have better forward visibility out the windshield (by lowering the engine and cowling). I think they carried that over into the F8F Bearcat design, too. I can't find any documentation. The cockpit was also raised up to help the pilot have better visibility in the Hellcat design. This was from input from Navy pilots, requesting better visibility for the new design (F6F).
      The Rare Bear no longer has offset in the vertical fin or motor mount (I think). Go-fast race mods.
      Don't know about the horizontal stab incidence compared to stock on the Rare Bear. I think they change that one on the fast Mustangs? And maybe the wing incidence, too, on the fast Mustangs.
      According to Lyle's book, the stock Bearcat had 6 degrees down thrust. Bill Hickle wanted to go to zero degrees but Richard Tracy advised against it so they compromised on 3 degrees.

Would have loved to been a fly on the hanger wall for that discussion.
      "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

As it happens, I've been spending some of my time away from my other life scanning old prints and slides, and just recently did this. This photo was shot by a man named Pete Behenna. Pete was one of the original crew who first built up the Bear from the Valparaiso wreck. Pete kept a camera around during the build and did a very nice job of documenting the project.

Neal

Click image for larger version

Name:	Behenna------------677.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	228545

Comment

Conquest 1 was safe and secure with a group of guys discussing the canopy when I toured udvar hazy a couple of weeks ago.

A japanese guy was super interested in the N1K2J there and conquest 1.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            As it happens, I've been spending some of my time away from my other life scanning old prints and slides, and just recently did this. This photo was shot by a man named Pete Behenna. Pete was one of the original crew who first built up the Bear from the Valparaiso wreck. Pete kept a camera around during the build and did a very nice job of documenting the project.

Neal

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22859[/ATTACH]
            Holy Crap, it's Neal Nurmi!

How you doin, buddy? Gonna miss seeing you and Birgitta next week.

Comment

We're doing well -- life is still good. This time of year I do feel the withdrawal pangs a bit, but I'm still happy with our decision to move on from Reno. I am struggling, though, with what happens to the Wingman archives when I'm gone. That's part of what's behind my scanning push right now -- trying to get a reasonable part of this material digitised. There surely is a lot of stuff in these archives though. It's amazing how many good and important pictures can be produced in 37 years of serious shooting...

Neal

Comment

Working...
              X