• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nitrous?

Dave and Mel built the engine.

Comment

... RB-51 nitrous rack under construction, AeroSport, March 1975 ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	post-C87-21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	228527Click image for larger version

Name:	post-C87-20.jpg
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	228528Click image for larger version

Name:	post-C87-13.jpg
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	228529
      Last edited by sledge39; 08-24-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        Dave and Mel built the engine.
        The majority of the 3 Km record engine was built by Dave Cornell, Mel Gregoire and myself. To be correct.
        John
        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
          Awesome video. Oh, wait a minute.......never mind.

Comment

^^^Ha!

Truly amazing that the Bear did all that on one engine. You guys (Lyle and crew) had a hell of thing going back then.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              Awesome video. Oh, wait a minute.......never mind.
              Thanks for recording that, and posting for all of us relative noobs to experience! Would you mind re-uploading in 1080p?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                That was Badass!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                  ^^^Ha!

Truly amazing that the Bear did all that on one engine. You guys (Lyle and crew) had a hell of thing going back then.
                  Yes, BTW we also won Hamilton, and Reno 1988 and all the flying back and forth associated with those events with just 2 or 3 cylinders changed, on that same engine without tearing into the engine. Great engine.
                  Last edited by BellCobraIV; 08-26-2017, 12:33 PM.
                  John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                    Yes, BTW we also won Hamilton, and Reno 1988 and all the flying back and forth associated with those events with just 2 or 3 cylinders changed, on that same engine without tearing into the engine. Great engine.
                    That's almost unimaginable. How many hours do you think that particular motor ran for before being torn down? What happened to it after?
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Nitrous may be a good way to "de-rich" an engine if you get just the right amount while the ADI is running.

It also cools the intake charge.

I don't think the racers are using the cooling effect of nitrous oxide much anymore since I've heard that some racers are reducing the alcohol to water ratio because they are actually running into intake air temps that are too low.

I don't know if that's true but that is a significant accomplishment considering they replaced an aftercooler with a pipe.

To me, nitrous oxide is a way to get more oxygen into the combustion chambers in spite of a breathing limitation in the basic design of an engine that may have you simply "making heat" as boost levels increase in the quest for more horsepower.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                        Nitrous may be a good way to "de-rich" an engine if you get just the right amount while the ADI is running.

It also cools the intake charge.

I don't think the racers are using the cooling effect of nitrous oxide much anymore since I've heard that some racers are reducing the alcohol to water ratio because they are actually running into intake air temps that are too low.

I don't know if that's true but that is a significant accomplishment considering they replaced an aftercooler with a pipe.

To me, nitrous oxide is a way to get more oxygen into the combustion chambers in spite of a breathing limitation in the basic design of an engine that may have you simply "making heat" as boost levels increase in the quest for more horsepower.
                        Quite simply, Greg Shaw and Dave Cornell put more time, money, and research into Nitrous Oxide than anyone else I've ever known. Greg was ripped off by two of the automotive Nitrous Oxide system manufacturers that never paid what they agreed to pay for his information. They also had some benefits from a former Nazi engineer who was Kurt Tank's number two engineer. This man was brought to Lockheed after the war to work. Information that was never shared to anyone else.
                        John
                        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                          That's almost unimaginable. How many hours do you think that particular motor ran for before being torn down? What happened to it after?
                          It was cooked when someone flew around with the gear down during a checkout ride

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                            It was cooked when someone flew around with the gear down during a checkout ride
                            Correct,

During a check out at Van Nuys airport The new pilot took off before getting a complete briefing on why the gear needed to come up. The pocket doors created a high pressure area right where the oil cooler duct came out between them. So high in fact that no air would come out of the cooler duct. So the newbie pilot took off, did a circuit of the field, called for a priority approach abeam the tower, taxied in off the runway stopped the airplane on our ramp and proceeded to try and cool it down. Never ever in my life had I smelled an engine as hot as that. It was toast, absolute junk....A crying shame. A classic example of new pilot / new crew chief and the airplane was supposed to be in Aspen the next day to keep the sponsor happy. Lyle was out of town, The new crew chief / new pilot both said.....Well John When you are talking to your dad tonight I guess you need to tell him what happened as Lyle was away on a TWA trip. Yeah NOT a fun phone call.

John
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                              Correct,

During a check out at Van Nuys airport The new pilot took off before getting a complete briefing on why the gear needed to come up. The pocket doors created a high pressure area right where the oil cooler duct came out between them. So high in fact that no air would come out of the cooler duct. So the newbie pilot took off, did a circuit of the field, called for a priority approach abeam the tower, taxied in off the runway stopped the airplane on our ramp and proceeded to try and cool it down. Never ever in my life had I smelled an engine as hot as that. It was toast, absolute junk....A crying shame. A classic example of new pilot / new crew chief and the airplane was supposed to be in Aspen the next day to keep the sponsor happy. Lyle was out of town, The new crew chief / new pilot both said.....Well John When you are talking to your dad tonight I guess you need to tell him what happened as Lyle was away on a TWA trip. Yeah NOT a fun phone call.

John
                              At least they didn't 'pick a veteran pilot to follow around the course'.

Oh, wait...what?

Comment

This thread has literally made my day. Thank you.

I was wondering all morning if, when and how Lyle and the Team "sprayed" the Bear.

Thanks all.
                                Tom Johnson,
                                Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                                www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Working...
                                X