Nitrous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous?

I've read in several places that Rare Bear used nitrous during the speed record attempt, let alone at various times while racing. To get the kind of speeds being talked about for Voodoo on their speed record attempt, will they need to use nitrous to achieve that? Is one type of engine better at using nitrous than the other--radial vs. Merlin?

Re: Nitrous?

Yes RB used Nitrous at various points including the 3k, The size of the tanks was quite impressive to say the least. The only other racer to toy with it to my knowledge was Miss Ashley II however I am unsure if they ever put it in action.

When we were prepping RB for the 3k in 2012 it was decided that No2 was not needed and the tanks were removed.

Comment

Wasn't it Zeuschel (sorry if I've destroyed the spelling) who said "I can blow up a motor without it."
      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
        Wasn't it Zeuschel (sorry if I've destroyed the spelling) who said "I can blow up a motor without it."
        It was either Dave Z or Kerch.

Comment

Tsunami ran four scuba size tanks and a smaller bottle of nitrous the last few years. I asked both Pete Law and SteveO last year if nitrous was still used and they both said that it was a thing of the past. They also (along with Strega) switched the ADI to pure water and removed the aftercooler in the late eighties and early nineties, which also proved insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
            Yes RB used Nitrous at various points including the 3k, The size of the tanks was quite impressive to say the least. The only other racer to toy with it to my knowledge was Miss Ashley II however I am unsure if they ever put it in action.

When we were prepping RB for the 3k in 2012 it was decided that No2 was not needed and the tanks were removed.
            MAII did use the Nitrous the last two years.. there's an article about it in the wayback machine somewhere
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              MAII did use the Nitrous the last two years.. there's an article about it in the wayback machine somewhere
              Man, you're making me feel old. 1999 isn't "wayback" yet, is it????

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                I believe it was Kerch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                  I believe it was Kerch.
                  The exact quote was always "I have plenty of other ways to blow up a Merlin."

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    The exact quote was always "I have plenty of other ways to blow up a Merlin."
                    Zeuschel told me in the 1980 time period when we were talking about the Ron Hammel (10,000 RPM) Nitrous Oxide system that "He could kick all the rods out of the case without squeezing the motor" that was a quote. We tested the Rare Bear engine with a fully throttleable Nitrous Oxide system at 300 horsepower for a twenty minute duration. We had Jets that Greg Shaw set up that were good for 150 horsepower, 300 horsepower, 450 horsepower and 600 horsepower. Despite what many people think we won quite a few races with a minimal amount of Nitrous Oxide used. The Gold final race in 1989 was the best demonstration of what Nitrous Oxide could do. Tiger snuck up on Lyle and passed him fairly quickly. Carl Schutte who had the back up crew radio called Lyle and told him "Damn it Lyle Tiger just passed you!" Lyle who was already up on the power kicked the squeeze into play and passed Tiger instantly, very substantial amount of speed over Strega. Dwight and I discussed that pass when I worked for him. He told me that pass toldhim they were outgunned for that year. Nitrous Oxide properly applied never really did any damage to the Rare Bear engines when they were healthy to start with.
                    John
                    John Slack

Comment

Since all aircraft engines are a trade off between weight and strength of components, they really are not the engines of choice to use a power adder like NOx. The end result of the use of it is the development of higher cylinder pressures to create that extra power. The cylinders and the hold down system, valve actuation system, were designed for a certain power level, and yes I suppose the engineers looked into the future when they came up with the design, for a possibility of a higher HP level, as well as a safety margin. But like everything in the aircraft engine design world there are problems that can crop up from parts that performed just great at the certain HP design limit set when getting the type rating, or passing the specifications called out in the contract in the war days. Inlines and the radials have their own special areas of interest when increasing the power levels and they have some things in common as well. So I would think that when anyone decides to add something like NOx to one of those engines, they would have to approach it just like the manufacture would have back in the day. It would be a major engineering endeavor with many hours of dynamometer ground testing, and multiple inspection tear downs, exactly like the OEM did it in the 40's and 50's, it is the only way to know what the true limits are and what parts are going to be stressed the most.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                        The Gold final race in 1989 was the best demonstration of what Nitrous Oxide could do. Tiger snuck up on Lyle and passed him fairly quickly. Carl Schutte who had the back up crew radio called Lyle and told him "Damn it Lyle Tiger just passed you!" Lyle who was already up on the power kicked the squeeze into play and passed Tiger instantly, very substantial amount of speed over Strega. Dwight and I discussed that pass when I worked for him. He told me that pass toldhim they were outgunned for that year. Nitrous Oxide properly applied never really did any damage to the Rare Bear engines when they were healthy to start with.
                        John
                        That pass and pass is the single defining moment that is air racing in my mind. I can close my eyes and see it. I got goosebumps reading about it. I've never seen its equal.

Comment

The 1989 Unlimited Championship race at the Reno Air Races. It was well known that the Rare Bear carried nitrous oxide, as they always made a spectacle of p...

15 minutes in.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                            That's it, that engine set the 3 Km record the month before, ran all the qualifications and heat races flew back and forth to Van Nuys and New Mexico, survived the races and went home to Van Nuys from Reno. On plug changes and valve lash. Amazing! I miss my Dad.....Love that clip, he hated second place.
                            John
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                              That's it, that engine set the 3 Km record the month before, ran all the qualifications and heat races flew back and forth to Van Nuys and New Mexico, survived the races and went home to Van Nuys from Reno. On plug changes and valve lash. Amazing! I miss my Dad.....Love that clip, he hated second place.
                              John
                              Impressive. Who actually picked the parts and assembled that engine? I'd assume Dave and Mel were elbow deep, were you in on it also? Was Mac involved? That was before my time around the airplane.

Comment

Working...
                              X