Name:	00b0b_dSoAvPwO0hB_1200x900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	242140Click image for larger version

Name:	00w0w_bFtzJOID91y_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	242141
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Re: Unlimited project for sale

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...247641660.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22759[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22760[/ATTACH]
    More like two engines and a bunch of scrap metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      More like two engines and a bunch of scrap metal.
      Bingo..
      Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Does anyone have any inside info on this project? I know it's been around for some time. Have they ever ran it? or for that matter flown it? Is there a spinner that goes over those blunt hub weird looking props? Hard to believe that little verticle could keep that thing straight.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          Does anyone have any inside info on this project? I know it's been around for some time. Have they ever ran it? or for that matter flown it? Is there a spinner that goes over those blunt hub weird looking props? Hard to believe that little verticle could keep that thing straight.
          Has never flown, will never fly, isn't capable of flight.

Comment

There's my salad shooter! I was looking for that.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Also looks too light for the 4000lbs rule. On that note are there any existing aircraft (ie Beechcraft Queen Air) that could legally qualify very slowly in the unlimited field? Feels like a stupid question because I think someone would have qualified an airplane if they could, but I guess I'm thinking out loud.

Maybe take a Texan II and retrofit a V-12?
              "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                Also looks too light for the 4000lbs rule. On that note are there any existing aircraft (ie Beechcraft Queen Air) that could legally qualify very slowly in the unlimited field? Feels like a stupid question because I think someone would have qualified an airplane if they could, but I guess I'm thinking out loud.

Maybe take a Texan II and retrofit a V-12?
                Any of the big corporate stuff like a Queen Air is too slow, and won't stay within G load limits. You have to be over 300mph to qualify for the unlimited class. To get up into that speed range you are looking at turbo prop aircraft which wouldn't be legal for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  Any of the big corporate stuff like a Queen Air is too slow, and won't stay within G load limits. You have to be over 300mph to qualify for the unlimited class. To get up into that speed range you are looking at turbo prop aircraft which wouldn't be legal for obvious reasons.
                  Risking thread creep, but I know of, at least, one duster pilot who would have been racing for years if there *was* a TP class...

Personally, nothing against the jets, but if it ain't spinnin' a prop, it don't sound right! What turns that prop can be just as cool if it's got blades instead of pistons.. A lot of what you hear when the UL's go by is absolutely tortured props beating the air into submission...

With the dwindling numbers of classics being raced, not too off base to think about adding a division that allowed a different power to spin a prop...

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Multiple power plant types has worked for hydroplanes which have mostly gone to turbines but there is at least one team that is still competitive with an Allison. This way you don't have to create a new turbo prop class.

And you're right about the prop noise vs engine noise. (off topic but the idea of electric air racing gets scoffed at by many because of this misconception)
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                      And you're right about the prop noise vs engine noise. (off topic but the idea of electric air racing gets scoffed at by many because of this misconception)
                      I think most of us here would watch a Cub race if that's all there was! S'matter of fact, sounds like a pretty cool idea that might work in smaller venues...
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        I think most of us here would watch a Cub race if that's all there was! S'matter of fact, sounds like a pretty cool idea that might work in smaller venues...
                        What would be a good size course for a Cub race?

Comment

When I was living in San Diego and operating out Montgomery Field we would see the airplane on occasion. It belonged to David Rose who was based at MYF. As I recall it was powered by two big block drag racing engines that were supposed to generate 2,500 HP each. The engines drove twin contra-rotating carbon fiber props that were based on lessons coming out of NASA's unducted fan research (I think). The project has been for sale for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                            Boy, would seem you could cram a course into just about anywhere without danger to the surrounding population..
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                              About 1/4 the size of the bipe/F1 course. Any longer and they wouldn't come around often enough for folks to realize they were racing.
                              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Working...
                              X