Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racing aircraft engine guys

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Yes, he was a competitor of a grand scale, a frickin' monster once the race was on... ...BTW, the last autograph Lyle ever did was to Stevo, in a copy of Racing for the Gold, congratulating him on his Reno win.

John
    John Slack,

Thank you very much for your comments here; they add a real richness to the history of air racing. From my first Reno (1980 IIRC) to today, I've been a huge Lyle Shelton/Rare Bear fan.

Blue skies,
    Chris

Comment

Unless someone beats Lyle's record under the old rules and it is certified by FAI then his accomplishment will fittingly stand forever.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        *sigh* yet another nail in the coffin of sites like this one... just idly bitchin' here, not to be taken too seriously!

It's really great for the sport, I guess, that sites like this one have been superseded/replaced? by FB. Hope everyone that has abandoned this place and others and only visit FB pages realize that they are putting more money in a billionaire's pockets and starving out independents like aafo. FB survives on ad revenue, we used to be able to do that here... at least, somewhat, for part of the year at least (months around September used to bring in a lot of traffic and ad rev)

Anyway, probably just feeling sorry for myself since I can't even frickin go this year! (sorry, and huge thanks AJ for your PM offer, I just don't think I can do that this year..)/
        I don't do Facebook except in extremely limited situations.
        John Slack

Comment

I do FB however too much Ermagehrd, Hurfin and Blurfin. For the straight stuff nuthin beats AAFO.

Comment

Facebook ain't got nuth'in on this.

Thanks John. Always feel honored to hear your insight into our tiny sport.
            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
              Facebook ain't got nuth'in on this.

Thanks John. Always feel honored to hear your insight into our tiny sport.
              While I appreciate that, 95 percent of what I have to offer is based on what "was" and not what "is" Unlimited Class Air Racing today. I have my own personal memories of what we did and did not do. I tend to not publicly comment on the Rare Bear since we sold it anymore, which restricts my participation. I think that Stevo and Voodoo would be beatable with a well run Rare Bear program with the correct cast of characters. One of the biggest problems with that is the lack of additional Bearcats, and the astonishing lack of slow nose R-3350 engines. Combine that with the additional lack of those that would know what to do being able to finance what should be done. Well, it is not going to occur. So I don't watch much anymore.
              John
              John Slack

Comment

This means that everything you know is still relevant.

Comment

[QUOTE=BellCobraIV;132584] ....Combine that with the additional lack of those that would know what to do being able to finance what should be done.....
                  John[/

John,
                  I can comiserate that Reno is very different when you don't bring an airplane to race anymore. I did quite enjoy watching RB win with the motor...sorry, engine off of Critical Mass. Still makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. F'in Dave did well leading us thru that period with the big engine. I am glad that I was with Ken when he received the call from you to purchase it for Rod. It was nice to get it back in circulation. I was lucky enough to spend 5 or so days working in the Sanders pits last year. My first time back in 8ish years. I can't say that it felt like big time air racing. It was all just too relaxed for that, but it definitely was fun to be standing in the middle of their 3 sea furies running up in front of the pits. It was a truely unique perspective that helped me remember why we went racing in the first place. It was always about cool airplanes, but ended up being about the people we met and bonded with. Your dad was the very best at connecting with the fans. My father often spoke of following Lyle's lead on that. Good times for sure. Thanks to everyone here for helping me stay connected with this sport.
                  TJ
                  Last edited by TWD; 09-01-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X