Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racing aircraft engine guys

Originally posted by coxtrot View Post
    That is a surprise. Hope it pays off in MPH.
    Sounds like it has, tested up to 565 TAS

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
      Surprised nobody said anything about this one. Here's some news...

Hopefully everyone can view this link...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
      *sigh* yet another nail in the coffin of sites like this one... just idly bitchin' here, not to be taken too seriously!

It's really great for the sport, I guess, that sites like this one have been superseded/replaced? by FB. Hope everyone that has abandoned this place and others and only visit FB pages realize that they are putting more money in a billionaire's pockets and starving out independents like aafo. FB survives on ad revenue, we used to be able to do that here... at least, somewhat, for part of the year at least (months around September used to bring in a lot of traffic and ad rev)

Anyway, probably just feeling sorry for myself since I can't even frickin go this year! (sorry, and huge thanks AJ for your PM offer, I just don't think I can do that this year..)/
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Cripes! I forgot about that. That thing looks good in white. I've always liked white Mustangs though.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
          Well said Russ. At 85 some of the younger generation think of me & unlimited race planes as antiques. I'm not ready for the museum yet & I will be at Reno to see the unlimited's that are left.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
            Sounds like it has, tested up to 565 TAS
            A few gold racers have gone faster than 528 during testing. It's whole different ball game when it's time to set a record. The bear was way faster than the 3K record reflects, but that's what was documented and that is the bench mark.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
              A few gold racers have gone faster than 528 during testing. It's whole different ball game when it's time to set a record. The bear was way faster than the 3K record reflects, but that's what was documented and that is the bench mark.
              I think it's gonna be hard for a Mustang to carry enough vital fluids to complete the four passes at full tilt boogie

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                I think it's gonna be hard for a Mustang to carry enough vital fluids to complete the four passes at full tilt boogie
                I've heard that many many times, extremely excited to see how this attempt goes. My question is, how did Red Barron do it with much, much higher consumption of liquids?

Comment

Whilst I wish the Voodoo team the best we must remember that the current 3k record is owned by Will Whiteside/Steadfast in the low/mid 400's if memory serves. When FAI relaxed/changed the parameters for the course/timing the "old" records were set in stone.
                  Having been involved in preparations for the aborted RB attempt in 2012 any way you look at it the record is still impressive and I am looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                    Just to be clear, when Rare Bear set the 3 Km record you were required to make 6 passes. Three passes in each direction then the NAA would take the fastest 4 CONSECUTIVE passes and the record was based on the average of those four passes. So the fluid requirement was based on six passes not four. My family and I have been fans of Stevo for many years and truly wish him the best of luck at achieving a speed in excess of 533.613 based on the 6 passes and average of the fastest four. We actually broke the record twice, the first day we went fast enough to break Steve Hinton's Red Baron record. The second day we set the record higher to ice it away.

Because "Tsunami" was already planning to beat our record in less than a month. Lyle said after the first run that setting the record was harder than flying a Sunday Gold race.

But in the end the part of the record that will be impossible for any Mustang to beat won't depend on how much fluids are carried. Two of the six passes can be done at cruising speed to save fluids. The hardest part for a Mustang running at that kind of power would be to fly a distance equivalent of Van Nuys, California to Las Vegas, New Mexico, Break a world record, start out the next morning, make four of of the six required passes (in excess of 541 MPH), have a duct break lose from the wing carburetor scoop inlet causing a severe rise in induction temperature, land, repair refuel, in less than forty minutes, take back off, make six more passes that the average of the fastest four contained the 528.329 MPH world record (the last two were done after we ran out of Nitrous Oxide so slower), then land, fuel up, fly back to Van Nuys, California, fly to Reno, Qualify fastest, run all the heat races, and win the Gold race on Sunday.....on one engine without anything more than spark plug changes and valve adjustments.

No a Merlin powered racer will never do all that. But that isn't a requirement. But I believe and hope that Stevo will break the 3 Km record. We really like him in our family, he is a real and true human being, and that goes beyond the term gentleman. Besides I got to design a little part for him.
                    John
                    Last edited by BellCobraIV; 08-18-2017, 06:56 AM.
                    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by mdwflyer View Post
                      I've heard that many many times, extremely excited to see how this attempt goes. My question is, how did Red Barron do it with much, much higher consumption of liquids?
                      The Bearcat has all kinds of space in that chubby little airframe. More space = more stuff.
                      John
                      John Slack

Comment

My question is why? Not "how come" but why right before the races? Maybe I'm being a bit superstitious but, a speed run in a number 5 immediately followed by Reno has gone horribly wrong twice now after doing this exact same thing. At least this one isn't red?

Comment

John,
                          Thank you for your insight into the 3k run by Rare Bear. The revised rules now require only 4 passes, but all 4 are used for average speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                            John,
                            Thank you for your insight into the 3k run by Rare Bear. The revised rules now require only 4 passes, but all 4 are used for average speed.
                            Hence the reason My Dad's record was retired. Anything else is not the same is it. Only requiring four reduces fluids we were required to carry.
                            John
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                              Hence the reason My Dad's record was retired. Anything else is not the same is it. Only requiring four reduces fluids we were required to carry.
                              John
                              Simply said:

When Men were Men and **** was Real!

Not in any way diminishing the Voodoo attempt however i for one am glad that Lyle's record will stand forever. Never had the privilege of meeting him however all I have heard is he was the epitome of a competitor.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                                Simply said:

When Men were Men and **** was Real!

Not in any way diminishing the Voodoo attempt however i for one am glad that Lyle's record will stand forever. Never had the privilege of meeting him however all I have heard is he was the epitome of a competitor.
                                Yes, he was a competitor of a grand scale, a frickin' monster once the race was on.

He was also a very good guy at the Rosser Ranch air show he saw a young kid in a wheelchair looking at the Bearcat, he went over and talked with the young man about the Bearcat and flying in general for about half an hour. At the Cape May air races he and Clay Lacy drove about 45 minutes out to visit a kid that loved to build models but his health would not allow him to go to the races. At Reno one time Lyle noticed a young man in a wheelchair with his father, Lyle walked out and visited with the young man. A few minutes later Lyle, the young man, the young man's father, myself and another crewman were figuring out how to safely help him up on to the Rare Bear so he could get a cockpit check-out from Lyle.

One of the years that the Rare Bear was not racing, but was sitting at Stead during the races Lyle told Dell that he'd drop by the makeshift Tee Shirt sales booth outside Aviation Classics and sign some autographs. Fans heard about Lyle saying that and started lining up. When Lyle arrived the line probably had about fifty people in it, he sat down and started signing. Everybody got a conversation with their signature. More people would come by and see what was going on and get in line. They sold out of shirts, and Lyle kept signing.....he didn't leave for lunch, I think Chi's Rakestraw brought him a sandwich from somewhere, he kept signing. About six hours later when everyone that was in line had a signature and a conversation with Lyle he was done. A couple of people who were not around when Lyle was there came by and said they were sorry they missed that came by. Dell said come by tomorrow, he'll probably be doing that again, he was. Lyle respected the fans and would call anybody out on the team if any form of disrespect was shown to them.

As I write this Lyle is 847 Days, 6 hours away from holding the 3 Km record longer than Fritz Wendel, we had a Dauchsund named Fritz Wendel, Lyle wanted that record so bad. When Lyle returned from New Mexico he picked that dog up by the scruff of his neck looked him in the face and said "I broke your old record, you dog!"

Everything was a competition. BTW, the last autograph Lyle ever did was to Stevo, in a copy of Racing for the Gold, congratulating him on his Reno win.

John
                                Last edited by BellCobraIV; 08-18-2017, 09:08 AM.
                                John Slack

Comment

Working...
                                X