Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racing aircraft engine guys

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
    And there is not much reward in fame in air racing like it was in the far past either. I've never understood why there is so much interest in sports that take zero engineering ability like foot ball, and only a hand full are interested in motor sports.
    I thought Stevo and VooDoo were going to try to reset the 3km record this summer. Anybody out there got any news on that effort?

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
      Someone explained the issues with turboprops in air racing a couple years ago. Speedy perhaps? I believe the issue that was coming into play was that racers are always trying to gain an edge. The problem with hot rodding turbines is they become very volatile. Blowing up a turbine in a boat is one thing. Blowing one up in a race plane is very different. Racers being racers are always, ALWAYS going to push the limits of the machinery. This was an issue in the boats I believe.

However, Unlimited air racing can't exist for much longer on Merlins and 3350s. It just is what it is. The obvious choice for replacement is turbines. Relatively cheap (comparatively), plentiful, powerful, reliable. Anybody else know of another 3000hp alternative with those credentials? There's few things in the world I love more than these piston monsters but just what are we going to do when they're gone? I highly doubt we are all going to walk away and say, "Well, I guess that's it." Are we going to wait it out for electric motors to become that powerful and practical? Turbine power has been kicked around for years. How long will it take before someone builds a turbine powered Yak or the like?

Please discuss.
      All I need is the right ones to help set me up some place and we will have lots of those engines. I haven't won the power ball yet so I can't do it myself at this point in time. I'm a semi retired machinist and engine person and would love to make sure we don't run out of them. There are a few places with PMA making some replacement parts for them. There is not enough demand for most to consider investing in what it takes, to keep the engines around.

Comment

another thought on turboprops. People will point to hydroplanes and say the lack of noise killed boat racing. But it didn't kill it. They are still racing. That's what keeps the sport alive and now when the blow an engine it's nice it isn't a rolls royce or allison.
        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
          another thought on turboprops. People will point to hydroplanes and say the lack of noise killed boat racing. But it didn't kill it. They are still racing. That's what keeps the sport alive and now when the blow an engine it's nice it isn't a rolls royce or allison.
          Barely. One race this year had a total of four boats.

Comment

They're not exactly promoting Unlimited Hydros. I can't remember the last time I saw one on tv. Does air racing now have more exposure that Hydros?

Whatever. I don't really care about the boats in this discussion. Cubers make a good point. Sure there's no noise with boats now but that's not an issue for air racing. Still plenty of noise even with turbines. So why not at least a test race to see how they roll? I feel like it's time. Old, smart guys, I'm looking for replies from you guys.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Just my opinion. Take a look at turbulance. I would like to see it go around the pylons.
              Attached Files

Comment

^^^Me too!
                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                  Unlimited hydroplane racing may be alive, but just barely. It's a tiny fraction of what it used to be. This year was the first year, pretty much ever, that the entire Seafair event was not broadcast live in Seattle. And there was hardly even a mention of it in the newspaper. It is dying.

For me, turbines are a big part of it, but not just because of the noise. It's the rules that came with them. Once turbine boats became successful, they started putting in fuel flow restrictions and other things that made Unlimited Hydroplane Racing very much limited.

The rules worked in favor of Bernie Little, who was able to get a number of the best available engines and made Miss Budweiser nearly impossible to beat for a very long time. Lack of competition and barrier to entry were the big factors, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I am seeing some of the same things in the unlimited air racing class. In the nearly 20 years that I have been attending, I have seen only 5 winners - Dago Red, Rare Bear, September Fury (and that was in a year that there were problems with the merlins), Strega and Voodoo. As much as I love to see and hear the fastest gold racers run, the competition in the silver race is usually a lot better.

Where Reno has an edge on unlimited hydro racing is that there are other classes that are thriving, and offer some very exciting racing. That will keep us coming back year after year. But I'd be lying if I said that the sound of the unlimiteds wasn't filling a gap in my life left by the exit of piston engines from unlimited hydroplane racing. It takes me back to when I was a kid.

Comment

Recognizing that there must be a ton of "bad blood" to overcome, has anyone made a serious run at putting Cornell back together with "his" racer (American Spirit). I think that it is pretty obvious that Rod Lewis has no interest in completing the plane even though a lot of work has been put into it. It would seem like a natural head start at getting a Cornell managed project back in the pits.

I know I must not be the only one who thought of this, can anyone fill us in on any possibilities? Is it purely money or the above mentioned "bad blood"?

Comment

Originally posted by kenf View Post
                      Recognizing that there must be a ton of "bad blood" to overcome, has anyone made a serious run at putting Cornell back together with "his" racer (American Spirit). I think that it is pretty obvious that Rod Lewis has no interest in completing the plane even though a lot of work has been put into it. It would seem like a natural head start at getting a Cornell managed project back in the pits.

I know I must not be the only one who thought of this, can anyone fill us in on any possibilities? Is it purely money or the above mentioned "bad blood"?
                      Cubic Dollars

Comment

If our niche sport had ever achieved the social status and financial lure of automobile drag racing, we would probably have seen an aftermarket spring up and produce a full range of enhanced components; from “trick” nose cases, to specialty engine blocks and heads like Donovan, Rodeck and Arias have done for that sport. To the profit-minded, the Unlimiteds represent an anachronism of technology that was unceremoniously rendered obsolete by the jet long ago; a technological dead end and therefore offering no opportunity to profit from developing improved parts (other than those few advancements seen during the piston airliner days).

Additionally, I would dare say that the truest fans of our sport are becoming as rare as the racers and their Jurassic-ly magnificent power plants. We “Gear Heads” who love them the dearest, we who know and nervously appreciate the dynamics of the extraordinary chaos going on inside of those engines as they are being pushed to their limits; are not being joined by enough kindred spirits to financially secure an enduring future. The reality is that we are ever more reliant upon the gate receipts of those who enjoy the spectacle on a more casual level.

I feel the Unlimiteds are the last bastion of true “run what ya brung” racing. The last home of “what if?” The last “in your face” to those other forms of racing whom have sold their souls out to the formulaic, optimized, restricted, gate-receipt driven, cookie-cutter, soap-operas that they have become.

I don’t want our sport to also become a similar, pathetic parody of its former greatness and I humbly pray that men cut in the likes of Lyle and Kerch, will yet come forward with great and dissimilar brews of power and speed to the challenge.

Comment

Well said Russ. At 85 some of the younger generation think of me & unlimited race planes as antiques. I'm not ready for the museum yet & I will be at Reno to see the unlimited's that are left.
                          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                            I thought Stevo and VooDoo were going to try to reset the 3km record this summer. Anybody out there got any news on that effort?
                            Surprised nobody said anything about this one. Here's some news...

Hopefully everyone can view this link...

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

That is a surprise. Hope it pays off in MPH.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
                                Surprised nobody said anything about this one. Here's some news...

Hopefully everyone can view this link...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
                                Let me grab my unibits and die grinder, I can lighten 'er up some more!

Comment

Working...
                                X