Racing aircraft engine guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Racing aircraft engine guys

Thanks for the pictures. Goes to show you how much weight is flipping around inside of those big engines. What year were the pictures taken?
    So is Dave still doing this stuff or retired? I'm sure Pete Law is still active and will never stop doing his thing, I sure like that guy.
    Last edited by Exhaustgases; 08-06-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
      Thanks for the pictures. Goes to show you how much weight is flipping around inside of those big engines. What year were the pictures taken?
      So is Dave still doing this stuff or retired? I'm sure Pete Law is still active and will never stop doing his thing, I sure like that guy.

Last time I talked to Dave, he was catching radioactive fish out in his wooden boat

Comment

Hope he's not eating them. So must be in the pacific ocean somewhere its full of them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	228498
          That's Mel.
          Last edited by knot4u; 08-06-2017, 06:31 PM. Reason: Pic added

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22761[/ATTACH]
            That's Mel.
            Thank you, I really appreciate the photos.

Comment

I started crewing with Dave in early 2010, His theoretical and practical knowledge is nothing short of amazing. I talk to him regularly and have yet to hang up without having learned something new.

I was not lucky enough to get to know Mel, wish I had.

I have been fortunate enough to work alongside Pete Law.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                I started crewing with Dave in early 2010, His theoretical and practical knowledge is nothing short of amazing. I talk to him regularly and have yet to hang up without having learned something new.

I was not lucky enough to get to know Mel, wish I had.

I have been fortunate enough to work alongside Pete Law.
                So is Dave into the racing still?
                Last edited by Exhaustgases; 08-07-2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

So is Dave into the racing still?
                  From my conversation with Dave that would depend on the potential of the racing project, and if the program had the funding necessary to meet the goals of the program.
                  John
                  John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                    From my conversation with Dave that would depend on the potential of the racing project, and if the program had the funding necessary to meet the goals of the program.
                    John
                    I have always figured that the CFM (Cubic Feet of Money) is about the same as the CFM of Air consumed at Race power.

And considering that the reward is worth about as much as the oil soaked kitty litter underneath the planes............

It takes someone with ridiculously deep pockets and nothing more than a love of the sport to make it happen.

Comment

And there is not much reward in fame in air racing like it was in the far past either. I've never understood why there is so much interest in sports that take zero engineering ability like foot ball, and only a hand full are interested in motor sports.

Comment

And there is not much reward in fame in air racing like it was in the far past either. I've never understood why there is so much interest in sports that take zero engineering ability like foot ball, and only a hand full are interested in motor sports.
                        Amen, brother!

Comment

I'd have to say the fact that a kid can play basketball, baseball or football pretty much for free almost anywhere compared to trying to get a foot onto the fortresses that the majority of even our small GA airports have become probably has something to do with it. The kids hanging out by the fence are pretty scarce these days.

Comment

Like in the old days I couldn't wait for the Hydro Planes to come to lake Washington. I would be engrossed in the engine problems, and dream of getting to work on those Merlins, Griffons, and Allisons, the day they all went to turbines I stopped watching them. In those days it seemed like a big deal having those races, now its barely even covered on tv.
                            No more thunder boats, all whistle boats now. But in another breath, its nice rare engines aren't being ruined anymore at least in that sport.

Comment

I agree with using newer and moving away from rare engines. I actually think turbo props should be brought into unlimited air racing.

1. you get away from expensive rare engines (which then leaves more for warbird restorations which is always nice).

2. You don't lose (all) the sound like you do on the hydroplanes, because at +400mph a lot of the noise is from the propeller.

3. It's one thing to want more unlimiteds. It's another thing to want another competitive gold racer. Granted CM is out there for sale and Precious Metal and Furias are in different states of restoration, but the rules pretty much limit any theoretical new builds to a WWII era engine (or something like Pond Racer). That is a limiting factor and doesn't help the class grow. So if the rules are creating an unnecessary limiting factor, then I say change the rules to make the class more accessible.

But maybe that's just me.
                              "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Someone explained the issues with turboprops in air racing a couple years ago. Speedy perhaps? I believe the issue that was coming into play was that racers are always trying to gain an edge. The problem with hot rodding turbines is they become very volatile. Blowing up a turbine in a boat is one thing. Blowing one up in a race plane is very different. Racers being racers are always, ALWAYS going to push the limits of the machinery. This was an issue in the boats I believe.

However, Unlimited air racing can't exist for much longer on Merlins and 3350s. It just is what it is. The obvious choice for replacement is turbines. Relatively cheap (comparatively), plentiful, powerful, reliable. Anybody else know of another 3000hp alternative with those credentials? There's few things in the world I love more than these piston monsters but just what are we going to do when they're gone? I highly doubt we are all going to walk away and say, "Well, I guess that's it." Are we going to wait it out for electric motors to become that powerful and practical? Turbine power has been kicked around for years. How long will it take before someone builds a turbine powered Yak or the like?

Please discuss.
                                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                                X