Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Racing aircraft engine guys

Default Racing aircraft engine guys

I have a question to start, was Dave Cornell, just a crew chief or was he also a key engine builder for Rare Bear?

And how about any information on Mel Gregoire anyone here know him ?

Default Re: Racing aircraft engine guys

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaustgases View Post
    I have a question to start, was Dave Cornell, just a crew chief or was he also a key engine builder for Rare Bear?

"Just" a crew chief?
    Are you kidding?!

I was lucky enough to be a friend of Mel. I'd invite him over for BBQ and he'd charm my wife into just ignoring me, the man had a way with the ladies. I miss him. We might've also worked on airplanes once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    "Just" a crew chief?
    Are you kidding?!
    Here's an idea. Instead of this response, which serves absolutely no purpose other than to make the OP feel badly, why don't you help him out with his question?

Responses like this are what make people sorry they showed an interest in the first place. Let's all try to be ambassadors of air racing so maybe we can keep getting to make the trip to the high desert every September.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerByPackard View Post
    Here's an idea. Instead of this response, which serves absolutely no purpose other than to make the OP feel badly, why don't you help him out with his question?

Responses like this are what make people sorry they showed an interest in the first place. Let's all try to be ambassadors of air racing so maybe we can keep getting to make the trip to the high desert every September.

Thank you. I don't know either one of them, but wish I would have had the chance in years past to work with them.
    I've read that Mel was the top radial engine guy. I'd just like to know more about both of them. From what I can gather Mel passed away in 2011 at 94, was he working on engines up to the last day? Its just so sad and maddening to have all these great people gone. Is Dave still around and what is he doing?

10-4.

As I understand it, Mel built the race engines for Lyle Shelton. I think he worked for Aircraft Cylinder?
    The early engines probably had the small blower, like the engine in a Douglas Skyraider.
    I think Dave cooked up the idea to Frankenstein a hybrid engine out of certain engine parts and pieces from a Constellation engine mated to the Skyraider engine's intermediate case, using magic to mate it all up and make it work. This was the World Record setting engine.
    Dave learned all he could from Mel, his Mentor. (As well as Pete Law, Tiger, and everyone else involved in air racing).
    Dave is one of the many who never really got the reward he worked so hard to achieve, this sport is a hard one for everyone involved in it.

x2

Well put, thank you

Thank you. I don't know either one of them, but wish I would have had the chance in years past to work with them.
    I've read that Mel was the top radial engine guy. I'd just like to know more about both of them. From what I can gather Mel passed away in 2011 at 94, was he working on engines up to the last day? Its just so sad and maddening to have all these great people gone. Is Dave still around and what is he doing?
    Thank you for asking a good question and getting a discussion going.

Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    10-4.

As I understand it, Mel built the race engines for Lyle Shelton. I think he worked for Aircraft Cylinder?
    The early engines probably had the small blower, like the engine in a Douglas Skyraider.
    I think Dave cooked up the idea to Frankenstein a hybrid engine out of certain engine parts and pieces from a Constellation engine mated to the Skyraider engine's intermediate case, using magic to mate it all up and make it work. This was the World Record setting engine.
    Dave learned all he could from Mel, his Mentor. (As well as Pete Law, Tiger, and everyone else involved in air racing).
    Dave is one of the many who never really got the reward he worked so hard to achieve, this sport is a hard one for everyone involved in it.
    Thanks for adding to this discussion.

I have this link to a TVR (Tyson Rininger Photography) from 2009 of a day with the Rare Bear crew.

Click on the images (Info) and you get some info regarding who's how in the photos.

Some good work and history here.

http://tvrphoto.photoshelter.com/gal...000T_fcnPxFMg0

Last edited by Desertdawg; 08-05-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Beer Induced Typo :-)