Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sport Class Questions!!!

Default Re: Sport Class Questions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    This thread is proving in one more way why the sport class is the future of air racing. Your guys' willingness to come on here and simply talk about it keeps us simple fans so much more engaged with the class itself. Thanks guys.
    X2

This has been a good and informative discussion.

2. Default Re: Sport Class Questions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    I always wondered why One Moment didn't have the big ducts out of the cowling. I think the ducts look pretty sweet (makes it look like a hot rod) but the ADI setup is killer. What caused the Questair accident? Hope Andy doesn't have anything similar...
    To put it simply, we don't have them because we don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Welcome on board young man.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Intercoolers serve one purpose, to reduce the temperature of the induction air. All turbo/superchargers increase the temperature of the induction air. There is not an absolute need to do anything about induction air temperature unless that temperature reaches the range where detonation probability becomes a factor.

Induction air temperatures around 210 degrees F, and above, are dangerous territory. As CHTs increase, the induction air temperature danger range, of 210 degrees F, lowers. Spark advance and leaner mixtures also lower the induction air temperature danger range.

An induction air temperature of about 170 degrees is a good target.

Use of ADI will cool induction air temperature but it takes more ADI to cool the induction air, when ADI is the sole source of induction air cooling. An engine that uses intercoolers and ADI can get the same induction air temperature with a lessor amount of ADI. Too much ADI will reduce engine power.
    Last edited by georgiacub; 08-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.

[
    -The Aerochia Legacy's. 33, 44, 6 (ex. Stutes)... I know 6 is coming. I've been keeping track of Vicky and some stuff she's posting and I know it'll be there. Are any of the Aerochia Super Legacy's fast enough to push Jeff and John? Vicky says that Race 6 will be "breaking records". I'm not sure if that record will be "fastest female sport class racer" or if they mean an official record. I doubt it... The owner of 33 chimed in on here a couple months ago (forget his name) and sounded hopeful in bringing it. Haven't heard since. 44 has been for sale but it hasn't stopped Lynn from coming. The only deterrent in me thinking they will come is that Elliott and his team put a ton of work into getting them both ready last year. Is there someone besides Elliott that is capable of getting 2 super legacy's ready to race competitively?

A thought or two about the Aerochia airplanes:

33 probably has the lowest drag airframe of the three; mainly because it doesn't have flaps.

6 was raced one time by Dave Morss. I think the speed was 365 or so. I think it is capable of more than that, but for a first time pilot flying it, with trying to manage the systems that make it go fast, Vicky will have her hands full.

44 has an "official world record" speed of 390 (plus a little bit) MPH. That was set at an altitude of about 2,500' MSL. If 44 were to fly the same IAS at Reno (with its higher elevation) that would be a little over 410 MPH.

-