Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: P-38 Look Alike?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    67

    Default P-38 Look Alike?

    Hi all, don't post much because my knowledge of planes is much less than my love of watching and listening to them! Growing up around the Mohave and Reno races (for a few years anyway), my stepdad Ray Poe lamented the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between a RR Merlin and any other engine. Again, just loved the sights and sounds!

    Anyway, at work yesterday (Ferndale, WA) saw a very distinctive plane that had the tail look of the P-38. Didn't get a picture but it was flying around the Bellingham airport area. Told a coworker "Hey, that's a P-38" but then wasn't too sure as it looked...less substantial...than the P-38's I've seen pictures of.
    Are there other planes, perhaps civilian planes, that have the same/similar tail configuration as the Lightning?

    Thanks all

    Chad

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Texas, Oregon
    Posts
    606

    Default Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadK View Post
    Hi all, don't post much because my knowledge of planes is much less than my love of watching and listening to them! Growing up around the Mohave and Reno races (for a few years anyway), my stepdad Ray Poe lamented the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between a RR Merlin and any other engine. Again, just loved the sights and sounds!

    Anyway, at work yesterday (Ferndale, WA) saw a very distinctive plane that had the tail look of the P-38. Didn't get a picture but it was flying around the Bellingham airport area. Told a coworker "Hey, that's a P-38" but then wasn't too sure as it looked...less substantial...than the P-38's I've seen pictures of.
    Are there other planes, perhaps civilian planes, that have the same/similar tail configuration as the Lightning?

    Thanks all

    Chad
    Chad - Were the engines at the front of the booms? An OV-10 is configured like that. The other twin boom aircraft that came to mind was a Cessna Skymaster 337 (military O-2), but their engines are at the front and back of the fuselage. If you do some on-line searches for those two (OV-10 and C337 or O-2), you might narrow it down some.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,532

    Default Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    Those were the only two I could think of unless it was one of the homebuilt scale look-a-likes. Or was a real one operating anywhere near, someone here may know.
    The P-38 has a vey distinctive sound, if you are geeky enough to recognize it...

    But then, so does the OV-10 and the 337. I flew quite a few hours with my uncle in his Skymaster and now can recognize one long before I can see it!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,638

    Default Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I flew quite a few hours with my uncle in his Skymaster and now can recognize one long before I can see it!
    Boy, aint that the truth! There is a fish spotter who flies out of the area, you can tell who it is instantly when you hear him coming and going...(out to sea and back )
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    67

    Wink Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    Looking at pics of the OV-10, that looks really similar so thinking that's it. I only saw it from behind though. Didn't see it enough to see where the engines were. Not geeky enough I guess
    It was pretty noisy...we have planes flying overhead all the time as we are a stones throw from the airport on Slater Rd...so for me to pick it out it's usually pretty distinct.
    Thanks for the info everyone!

    Chad

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,635

    Default Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    It could have been Jim O'Hara's 2/3 scale replica of a P-38.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,532

    Default Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    Not geeky enough I guess
    You noticed it and posted. Definitely Geeky enough!
    Next, you'll be running through the house to see anything that sounds different.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rosamond, CA
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    You noticed it and posted. Definitely Geeky enough!
    Next, you'll be running through the house to see anything that sounds different.
    D'OH!!! hahahaha
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    67

    Wink Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    See, with teenage daughters in the house, I already react to strange noises in the house!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    593

    Default Re: P-38 Look Alike?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadK View Post
    See, with teenage daughters in the house, I already react to strange noises in the house!!
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •