Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BANG!

To Wayne and everyone else here:

I found this site after the Friday race on 9/15/2003 and have been a member here ever since. That Friday was my very first time to Reno and since that day, I have been a die hard air race fan!!!

Like many others here, this is one of the few sites I visit daily, and during that day, I visit at least 6-8 times per day. This site has been THE ONLY ONE I come to in order get updates, read conversation, and see what else is going on. At the time I joined, I searched the interwebs for ANY air race source I could find. Between this site and the other one (which no longer exists), this is the only I look forward to visiting each day!

Wayne, you have provided a place for us fans, crew, pilots, and others to come and enjoy & share their love for air racing! Without this site, I would simply be lost!!!

The Constitution, which our Military members fight and die to uphold, grants us certain liberties and free speech is one of them. Each and every one of us are entitled to our opinions, and like someone said, sometimes those opinions piss in the Cheerios of others. Sometimes, this causes the internet tough guy to come out and voice their opinions; sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

You have provided us an outlet to share our opinions regarding this truly awesome and one-of-a-kind sport. I enjoy reading everything posted and like others have stated, I read more than I post. While I do have a family connection to a certain unlimited, I am not bias towards anyone or any plane. Of course I have my favorites, but what these pilots and owners do to bring their planes Reno every year is a miracle and I thank them, in my own way, every year.

I may not agree with what everyone has to say, but I enjoy reading what they post, and I feels it adds to the overall discussion. THANK YOU everyone for posting what you do!!!

There was a time where I wasn't in a good financial position to support this site, but thankfully, times have been good for me and my family. I will do whatever I can to help support this amazing site to ensure it stays around for the future so my kids can enjoy my love for this amazing sport.

Thank you Wayne!!! And thank you to everyone else!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
      Wayne & Leo,

Contribution/discuss on this wonderful site does not need to stop, this site is one of the few I visit daily. The stuff discussed here is top shelf and interesting.

Requiring complete profiles to play helps. As for the key board cowboys/trolls, thats life in our age. No different than the know-it-all drunk at the bar :-)

If someone comes off as a jerk I just avoid reading their posts, just like the drunk at the bar - just walk away. :-)

There needs to be a effort here to get all the past players interested in being part off this site.

Wayne, hold your head high young man, you started something special here.

Get your swagger back in your step and lets go.

Spot on! If you think it gets bad around here, try logging on to wakeworld.com. Talk about trolls. This place is nothing compaired to that chitshow.

Like most members here, I usually visit every day. It's the one place I can go to read intelligent comments on a subject that is actually cool.

Get back in there and fight, man!

Oh ya, I still got those critical mass parts for ya.
      Last edited by Fence Sence; 07-30-2017, 08:04 AM.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I thought Facebook would be the answer when traffic on this site slowed. But I find very little interesting discussion of a techinical nature there. Just photos and likes, and where people are going for dinner. I really miss the days when guys like Bruce Lockwood or Matt Jackson would post here and discuss what really makes these machines go. The secrecy in this sport has always bothered me. I understand teams don't want to show there cards to their competition. But there's a lot of very interesting stuff that goes on that we as fans never hear about. And this sport needs all the fans it can get. At least AAFO and the other sites gave us access to some of it.

Comment

I love to know what's going on but I really like to be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Sport class? All I get is "wait and find out"...
            How about we start a new thread and I'll tell you everything I know. It is hard for me to sit down and think what to write when I don't know what others might be interested in. Questions lead to answers which I'll be happy to share if I know the answer.
            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
              How about we start a new thread and I'll tell you everything I know. It is hard for me to sit down and think what to write when I don't know what others might be interested in. Questions lead to answers which I'll be happy to share if I know the answer.
              Awesome Tom, thank you, making a new thread right now...
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Yes, Wayne. I'll chime in here as another 30-year race fan (and only missed a few in that time) to say...thank you so much for putting this site up and pouring so much into it over the years. I visit often, and appreciate nearly all who post here. I've done a poor job saying "thank you" over the years, but figured it wouldn't hurt to do so now.

Comment

I've been following this site since it came online...lurking here, and on Pylon1 almost daily for years trying to get the latest gossip. Although I am no less interested in racing and still come here regularly, it seems the heyday of racing has passed. No big money is being thrown in to new unlimiteds. We are down to 2 "superstangs" and a no-go Bear. I completely understand the financial commitment to racing for very little return. The expense of running a stock Mustang is ungodly even when there is a good return. I am grateful to the few owners that still take the challenge seriously and I/we still like to see what shows up to qualify. When you look at any warbird that has been converted to an unlimited class racer they lose the "everyday flyer" aspect. There seems to be no up and coming owners willing to make that choice. The best rumor I've heard was/is a potential record attempt on by Voodoo on Rare Bear's speed record.

John Muszala II would love to build a Baron...even has a stash of parts...but needs cubic $ to get it going. In the mean time they are building up Polar Bear to be a beautiful A model that will someday turn the pylons. Is it a Strega or Voodoo level airplane?, no but at least it will be there. I'm going to quit typing before I depress myself too much

I see Reno in a transitional period of either spring boarding in to an empty pool, or the Sport and Jet classes taking over for the unlimiteds. Marketing and Ticket sales will be the judge.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
                    Marketing and Ticket sales will be the judge.
                    Amen!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think they have done a great job this year overall with the program. I know quite a few co-workers, friends and locals I meet are going this year, some for the first time and some for the first time in many years, due to the military presence. Tell em there's a harrier and an A-10 which are fairly rare acts, along with the possibility of some other cool stuff and the statics and they get interested. I think ultimately it is the airshow that brings in the casual observer. Lots of noise and flip-flops. Many of those just see the races as a bunch of left turns. A fair number I talk to think they just fly around as an expo, no idea that they really race.
                      Whatever it takes!
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
                        I've been following this site since it came online...lurking here, and on Pylon1 almost daily for years trying to get the latest gossip. Although I am no less interested in racing and still come here regularly, it seems the heyday of racing has passed. No big money is being thrown in to new unlimiteds. We are down to 2 "superstangs" and a no-go Bear. I completely understand the financial commitment to racing for very little return. The expense of running a stock Mustang is ungodly even when there is a good return. I am grateful to the few owners that still take the challenge seriously and I/we still like to see what shows up to qualify. When you look at any warbird that has been converted to an unlimited class racer they lose the "everyday flyer" aspect. There seems to be no up and coming owners willing to make that choice. The best rumor I've heard was/is a potential record attempt on by Voodoo on Rare Bear's speed record.

John Muszala II would love to build a Baron...even has a stash of parts...but needs cubic $ to get it going. In the mean time they are building up Polar Bear to be a beautiful A model that will someday turn the pylons. Is it a Strega or Voodoo level airplane?, no but at least it will be there. I'm going to quit typing before I depress myself too much

I see Reno in a transitional period of either spring boarding in to an empty pool, or the Sport and Jet classes taking over for the unlimiteds. Marketing and Ticket sales will be the judge.

Jim
                        Welcome to the forum Jim!! I have to ask some questions when you're giving out important info like this... is Polar Bear the plane that John wants to bring this year? It doesn't look too close and it seemed like this year he was ready to go with something. And "Baron" I assume that means what everyone thinks it means... is that a legit comment?! Thanks for the info I love the rumors like these
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Some network needs to use the newest and latest technology to bring air racing to the big screen.

They need creative stuff like maybe strategic microphone placement to get the coolest engine sound and cameras onboard every plane and maybe remote cameras on the pylons themselves to bring it right into your living room.

If they could mic the intakes of the engines or even use a piezo contact mic on engine mounts or supercharger housing and mix the sound properly between sources, the whine of the superchargers could be brought out quite a bit and you could hear the induction groan as throttle is added.

Hell....with proper mic placement, you could make electric racers sound badass.

Good video and good sound could bring viewership and sponsors.
                          Last edited by IcePaq; 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

It's legit. You can follow the progress of Polar Bear on Pacific Fighters Facebook page. They have made a lot of progress over the last few months and she is sitting on her gear and the engine mount has been delivered. It will be the closest to an A model that she has ever been...and will have a stunning scheme if all goes to plan. Those guys were part of the original "Chino Kid" clan and Sr. worked on and flew the Baron. They have ties to her, and...parts. Not a whole lot but enough to get going. It needs major funding...but believe me, the interest and the spark is there with the right people.

Jim

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            Welcome to the forum Jim!! I have to ask some questions when you're giving out important info like this... is Polar Bear the plane that John wants to bring this year? It doesn't look too close and it seemed like this year he was ready to go with something. And "Baron" I assume that means what everyone thinks it means... is that a legit comment?! Thanks for the info I love the rumors like these

Comment

Unlimited air racing is dwindling. it only makes sense that the infrastructure around it will dwindle as well.

Sport and jet class (the only classes that are growing at a noticeable rate) dont have the connection to this website that the old school classes do, and have come up in the new world of social networking. Forums in general are in decline as a result of what facebook can being to the table.

Wayne, if you ever get bummed out by M.D.'s psycho BS, just picture her puking her guts out on the ramp . Makes me smile every time I think about it, and she only got crazy on me once.

Comment

I still visit, and very much appreciate this site Wayne. I have my own site and fully appreciate what it takes to keep it running as well as drum up content. I've returned to lurking simply because I had some people talk down to me when asking questions. I suppose I should get over it. We actually met a few years ago and have talked every year since then. I just haven't ever told you who I was here. Thanks for the site!
                                Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X