BANG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BANG!

Sites have been a yawner lately with little but bad news (nobody's fault, not a lot happening).
    Going through pictures on a quest for something recently I grouped the messiest engine failures I have shot together.
    The all got down safely, obviously, if expensively...

Click image for larger version

Name:	day 053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	879.2 KB
ID:	242135Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_1 057.jpg
Size:	965.5 KB
ID:	242136Click image for larger version

Name:	Reno-2008 203.jpg
Size:	895.7 KB
ID:	242137Click image for larger version

Name:	SumElse_oiled_82.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	242138Click image for larger version

Name:	Dago-oiled.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	242139
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: BANG!

Nice shots Leo. thanks for posting.

As for slow, no kidding, this site is slow. If you look and who's online, right now there are 4 members and 29 guests.

Too bad all those guest don't come out of the closet and participate here.

I know my son is one of them, he says he visits here at least twice a day
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 07-27-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I know I visit but don't post a lot anymore.
      I think a lot of the really knowledgeable members here and at other sites seem to get pounced on when they do. Usually by others that no not of what they speak.
      Just my opinion though...
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
        I know I visit but don't post a lot anymore.
        I think a lot of the really knowledgeable members here and at other sites seem to get pounced on when they do. Usually by others that no not of what they speak.
        Just my opinion though...
        Thats a sad truth. So many with such interesting knowledge.

Comment

It really is sad. Just the people I know, maybe not current information, but a lot of history and stories that are very interesting. I don't know why they don't participate.

Comment

I checked a couple weeks ago and there were 40-60 people online every couple days.

This year seems very secretive and I don't know why that is. I asked one of the Ezell members what they know about Reno besides the Bear not coming etc... Lylia's engine program=secret, La Patrona or Kitty Kitty coming?=secret.

Made an attempt on here to find out what Muszala Jr. is bringing...=secret

Sport class? All I get is "wait and find out"...

Voodoo's mods??=secret... no pictures etc...

JCP was planning on bringing Bee and Sneak Attack last year and that fell through, is this year a no-go again?

Is POF racing any of the mustangs? The site says 2 of them are coming.. Heritage Flight only...?

Grim Reaper?

People know things and nobody is saying. Hell I was looking at old threads from 2013-2014 and RARA gave out the entry list in mid July.

Was last year the same story?

*Also huge thanks to Graeme Frew and Full Noise Race #35 for posting updates pretty much daily on Insta and FB... and their plane is in a freaking crate in the middle of the ocean!!!!!
            Last edited by GRNDP51; 07-27-2017, 03:17 PM.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              I checked a couple weeks ago and there were 40-60 people online every couple days.

This year seems very secretive and I don't know why that is. I asked one of the Ezell members what they know about Reno besides the Bear not coming etc... Lylia's engine program=secret, La Patrona or Kitty Kitty coming?=secret.

Made an attempt on here to find out what Muszala Jr. is bringing...=secret

Sport class? All I get is "wait and find out"...

Voodoo's mods??=secret... no pictures etc...

JCP was planning on bringing Bee and Sneak Attack last year and that fell through, is this year a no-go again?

Is POF racing any of the mustangs? The site says 2 of them are coming.. Heritage Flight only...?

Grim Reaper?

People know things and nobody is saying. Hell I was looking at old threads from 2013-2014 and RARA gave out the entry list in mid July.

Was last year the same story?

*Also huge thanks to Graeme Frew and Full Noise Race #35 for posting updates pretty much daily on Insta and FB... and their plane is in a freaking crate in the middle of the ocean!!!!!
              It is frustrating not knowing who is bringing what, apart from the Kiwi crew with Race 35 who are absolutely revelling in bringing the Yak to the races. I for one follow them on FB and Insta daily, some of Graeme's pics and posts are quite cool especially the day job ones flying Airbus A320's for Air NZ
              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Speaking of secrets, Rod & Stu were being interviewed at OSH and there was mention of an assault on the Bear's 3km speed record in progress "about now". Anybody else catch that? It can only be one of a couple Unlimiteds.

Anyone willing/able to add something?

GP

Comment

Anybody else catch that? It can only be one of a couple Unlimiteds.
                  Hey guys,, thought id join the group! This months Flying magazine has an article in Technicalities,,, Its a good read,,, in case you don't have a copy, its a
                  Harmon Rocket with a mazda rotary is being built to break the time to climb!

Comment

Used to put a lot of effort into "being in the know"... used to have racers call me to find out who's doing what.. I worked hard at it..

Then, a couple people started this little game that whenever I tried to bring some show biz to this site, my standard buzz phrase at the time was... "stay tuned!"...

This method is used in "show business" as a "hook" something to get the viewer, listener, reader, whatever a reason to come back....

Anyway, I got taken aside for what I was told was an elitist attitude.. where every time I left anything hanging, "Stay Tuned", "OH... YOU KNOW SOMETHING WE DON"T KNOW" with snide snickers from the gallery minions...

Hell, I worked tirelessly to be "the guy" with info during the movie filming, a table of folks who sometimes come here, frequently elsewhere on the net, actually booed when Wayne Sagar AAFO.COM rolled by on the credit crawl after the movie ran.

So, wonder why I don't say much here any more?

Read back on some of the old threads around the time when I was VERY active attempting to be a good information source for the sport. That and some of the cat calls I've gotten on the ramp at Reno from one person in particular, well... the whole damn thing left me with such a bad taste....

Well, that and losing far too many good friends to aviation in general, air racing in particular.. I guess, I just lost the passion to be "that guy"...

Keep telling myself, well, I'll get back into it someday...

Unsure if that's ever going to happen... but at least, I don't have to have an overweight ugly female human being call me a scum bag at the top of her lungs in front of EVERY ONE in earshot of her obnoxious voice..

Just aint the same for me no'mo'
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Take it from a 30 year air race fan, We love you Wayne! Your blog is the Only source of information for many of us. I will proudly wear my AAFO hat at Reno again this year and at the NAHI even in Sacramento the week prior. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Please keep it up.

Comment

I think you hit it pretty square on Wayne.
                        I am more interested in what is actually going on and what has happened (the history of Air Racing) than what might be, or what someone's opinion of might be is. Sometimes a little fun speculation is cool but people take it way to seriously.
                        Like you I have been privy to a lot of information the last few years about what is happening behind the scenes but I don't post it anywhere anymore. I don't want to be "that guy" A lot of times the source does not want things known by the general public. On the other side of that some really knowledgeable crew members get flamed when their statement about what is going on does not fit someone's agenda.
                        It's the backlash of the electronic communication age, where rumor and innuendo are considered fact and posters are full of false courage brought on by anonymity and distance. It's the same reason I did not last long on facebook.
                        I am glad you keep this going Wayne, just wish a little that it could be back like it was at the beginning, interested people trading facts, history and ideas.
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          I think you hit it pretty square on Wayne.
                          I am more interested in what is actually going on and what has happened (the history of Air Racing) than what might be, or what someone's opinion of might be is. Sometimes a little fun speculation is cool but people take it way to seriously.
                          Like you I have been privy to a lot of information the last few years about what is happening behind the scenes but I don't post it anywhere anymore. I don't want to be "that guy" A lot of times the source does not want things known by the general public. On the other side of that some really knowledgeable crew members get flamed when their statement about what is going on does not fit someone's agenda.
                          It's the backlash of the electronic communication age, where rumor and innuendo are considered fact and posters are full of false courage brought on by anonymity and distance. It's the same reason I did not last long on facebook.
                          I am glad you keep this going Wayne, just wish a little that it could be back like it was at the beginning, interested people trading facts, history and ideas.
                          Wayne & Leo,

Contribution/discuss on this wonderful site does not need to stop, this site is one of the few I visit daily. The stuff discussed here is top shelf and interesting.

Requiring complete profiles to play helps. As for the key board cowboys/trolls, thats life in our age. No different than the know-it-all drunk at the bar :-)

If someone comes off as a jerk I just avoid reading their posts, just like the drunk at the bar - just walk away. :-)

There needs to be a effort here to get all the past players interested in being part off this site.

Wayne, hold your head high young man, you started something special here.

Get your swagger back in your step and lets go.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 07-28-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Absolutely LOVE the wealth of information and history that this site provides!
                            Yes, every year we wait with gleeful anticipation of any tidbit
                            Of what may appear on the ramp. But the depth of knowledge on
                            any aircraft past and present is greatly appreciated by this
                            ramp-rat. Keep it going Wayne! See y'all in 6 weeks

Comment

I would like to express my gratitude to you Wayne for giving us a "sandbox" to play in. Back in the late seventies information was Inflight, Pacific Flyer and Air Classics, all wonderful publications but for me that was about it. If something is happening, it usually ends up on this site.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X