Unlimited Purse $50k Fundraising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlimited Purse $50k Fundraising

RARA just released an announcement about the "fundraising" opportunity they are doing through donations online. They are trying to get $50,000 added to the purse for the unlimited's this year. IIRC, the purse was $600k last year, thus making it $650k this year.

Some of the points they made are that it will help increase attendance of racers this year which somewhat confuses me as the entries were already due..? Already the field is "supposed to" be bigger than last year.

Why doesn't RARA reach out to a couple of small-medium sized companies to donate a couple hundred thousand as a group and name the Unlimited Gold in their honor? That seems like a much easier way to get some money in the purse rather than a crowdfunding campaign. We already pay for the tickets, concessions, and even crowdfund some of the unlimiteds specifically so I just don't see a fan crowdfunding working. There's gotta be some companies that would like to donate to get their name in the "Reno Unlimited Gold Sponsored by ...."

Thoughts...?

And in case any of you want to donate.

Help build excitement for our most prestigious event! Your donation will go directly to increasing the purse for the Unlimited Class. For the first time ever, The Reno Air Racing Association will direct all funds from the Unlimited donation campaign received through 8/31/17 to increasing the purse for the Unlimited Class at the 54th National Championship Air Races. We know how ...
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 07-19-2017, 04:50 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Unlimited Purse $50k Fundraising

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    RARA just released an announcement about the "fundraising" opportunity they are doing through donations online. They are trying to get $50,000 added to the purse for the unlimited's this year. IIRC, the purse was $600k last year, thus making it $650k this year.

Some of the points they made are that it will help increase attendance of racers this year which somewhat confuses me as the entries were already due..? Already the field is "supposed to" be bigger than last year.

Why doesn't RARA reach out to a couple of small-medium sized companies to donate a couple hundred thousand as a group and name the Unlimited Gold in their honor? That seems like a much easier way to get some money in the purse rather than a crowdfunding campaign. We already pay for the tickets, concessions, and even crowdfund some of the unlimiteds specifically so I just don't see a fan crowdfunding working. There's gotta be some companies that would like to donate to get their name in the "Reno Unlimited Gold Sponsored by ...."

Thoughts...?

And in case any of you want to donate.

https://reno-air-racing-association-...nlimited-purse
    RARA has been trying for years to get companies to sponsor the unlimited purse with little or no success. As for the purse total for this year, I believe they are starting with quite a bit less than last year. 50k might not even get it up to last year's levels. Plus the purse distribution is all screwed up again.

Comment

I've been a dedicated fan of these races for decades and have never seen any indication of what the purse is from RARA, before, during or after the races.

This might be a more successful campaign if the purse and it's distribution weren't such a secret.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        I've been a dedicated fan of these races for decades and have never seen any indication of what the purse is from RARA, before, during or after the races.

This might be a more successful campaign if the purse and it's distribution weren't such a secret.

Pete
        The owners don't even get that info, and if they do, it changes three times a day.

Comment

It is a sad fact, the Sunday gold money should be a lot higher for all classes.

Granted our race is only once a year, but it has a very high risk factor and high costs to play for the owners, plus pilots put it all on the line.

I would think a $500,000.00 Sunday Gold Unlimited payout would help pay some bills and entice more entries??

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Chicken and egg scenario...takes $$$ to make $$$. And given the financial situation since 2011 (and honestly long before that) it's not difficult to understand why RARA has struggled a bit to enhance the purses.

As mentioned previously, RARA has made numerous attempts to reach out to local businesses re: all sorts of sponsorship opportunities...some success but still less than they had hoped.

Here's hoping 2017 sets even higher marks in crowds and revenue...
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
              Chicken and egg scenario...takes $$$ to make $$$. And given the financial situation since 2011 (and honestly long before that) it's not difficult to understand why RARA has struggled a bit to enhance the purses.

As mentioned previously, RARA has made numerous attempts to reach out to local businesses re: all sorts of sponsorship opportunities...some success but still less than they had hoped.

Here's hoping 2017 sets even higher marks in crowds and revenue...
              I agree. I'm not faulting RARA, I just do not understand why this unique event cannot find a international high-end sponsor with commitment & deep pockets??

Last edited by Desertdawg; 07-21-2017, 04:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                I agree. I'm not faulting RARA, I'm just do not understand why this unique event cannot find a international high-end sponsor with commitment & deep pockets??

Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I think it's Dodge doing the ad with the... I think it's a Hellcat never looked that close at the ad, but it's certainly a step in the direction of aviation, at least. I'd say, someone in the chain is a classic aviation nut... would be interesting to see how to get to the "big guys" in the program and pitch them to sponsor Reno...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working in a non-unlimited class I have mixed feelings. If people want to donate out of their love for the sport I've nothing against that. But seeing RARA asking for handouts to support the teams with million dollar airplanes while the rest of the classes have to fend for themselves rubs me the wrong way. The leadership of each class and each team has a responsibility to grow its numbers, sell shirts, get sponsorship, etc. for instance like the Jet class has done. To me it makes the unlimiteds look lazy. Maybe it will be effective, but people were begging PM to start a gofundme and that still hasn't raised $50K.
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

I have mixed feelings. If people want to donate out of the love for the sport then I can't fault them there. But as a non-unlimited participant, I see getting sponsorship and attracting new racers as the responsibility of the class and class leadership. IF1 has grown and the Jet class has their fuel costs sponsored. The unlimiteds are million dollar airplanes but their owners can't get sponsorship and need a handout from RARA? Makes them look lazy to me.
                      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

I would think that any outfit that does work on and restorations on war birds or any form of parts for them, would be happy to donate. What about the Paul Allen collection has anyone talked to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
                          I would think that any outfit that does work on and restorations on war birds or any form of parts for them, would be happy to donate. What about the Paul Allen collection has anyone talked to them?
                          Paul Allen hates air racing.

Comment

Using the lowest averages possible, and only figuring getting in the gate for Thursday through Sunday, Gross ticket sales are 3.5 million dollars. That doesnt count Parking, pit passes or reserved seat higher pricing, which are all added profits with very little added cost.

In addition to this, every vendor pays a fee to sell something there and every race participant pays a fee to compete.

No doubt there are factors and logistics to this event that I dont fully understand, and I understand there is no business model on the planet that directly compares, but it is not a coincidence that after replacing almost everyone involved in the management of this event that they announced that they actually "Made Money" for the first time in a long time.

This is Nevada. People are getting paid. Lots of people are getting paid. Just not the ones who deserve it the most.

I understand the need to support this event, and I am not suggesting that they are straight stealing money, but this constant asking for more money is a bit much.
                            Last edited by flyingjibus; 08-14-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I find this effort a bit unsettling. Bordering on offensive. Like the homeless guy on the street corner asking for handouts while smoking a nice cigar and drinking a bottle of Dom Perignon.
                              '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Working...
                              X