Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone seems quiet... How 'bout Sport class talk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone seems quiet... How 'bout Sport class talk?

This year should be another good one for Sport class and I had some questions I bet some others have and some of you probably know the answers to.

-Is the Thunder Mustang Race 67 comparable in speed to Blue 2 now that it has the race engine and 3 blade?
    -Is Blue 2 faster and more reliable than last year?
    -Is the supercharged 8 cylinder Race 32 Legacy fast enough to compete?
    -Is Race 33 gonna show? Race 44? Race 21 (Ex-Stutes)? *The AeroChia gang*
    -Are Grove and McNerney going to have their Super Legacy's ready?
    -I know Sterling can chime in, will Race 8 be able to bust 400mph yet?
    -Does Zaccagnino really have a competitive Super Legacy in the works? (was supposed to show last year..?)
    -Are One Moment's off-season mod's enough to hit high 390's?
    -CAN ANYONE CHALLENGE JEFF???

Chat it up boys!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Everyone seems quiet... How 'bout Sport class talk?

This year should be another good one for Sport class and I had some questions I bet some others have and some of you probably know the answers to.

-Is the Thunder Mustang Race 67 comparable in speed to Blue 2 now that it has the race engine and 3 blade?
    Dunno

-Is Blue 2 faster and more reliable than last year?
    They always improve, so I'd say yes to both

-Is the supercharged 8 cylinder Race 32 Legacy fast enough to compete?
    It is no longer supercharged

-Is Race 33 gonna show? Race 44? Race 21 (Ex-Stutes)? *The AeroChia gang*
    Maaaaybe. If 33 shows, The Shadow says there may be a surprise in store.

-Are Grove and McNerney going to have their Super Legacy's ready?
    Karl is looking good. I think this one will be really fast

-I know Sterling can chime in, will Race 8 be able to bust 400mph yet?

-Does Zaccagnino really have a competitive Super Legacy in the works? (was supposed to show last year..?)
    Dunno

-Are One Moment's off-season mod's enough to hit high 390's?
    If the aerodynamics allow it. No Legacy has ever gone that fast. The EFI setup they have is well proven in a former very fast racer so I see good things for them this year. Especially in the reliability department.

Possibly. Might even come from something not listed above..........

Chat it up boys!

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      In my opinion not unless he breaks or doesn't show up. It is one fast Glasair! What is Elliot racing this year?
      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        In my opinion not unless he breaks or doesn't show up. It is one fast Glasair! What is Elliot racing this year?
        I think he's bringing his IF1 airplane again this year.

Comment

Thanks Race 5, thought you would probably know the most besides the individuals who own the planes. Looking forward to finding out the surprises you've alluded to

Sad to hear Race 32 isn't supercharged anymore, that was gonna be a cool plane to watch (and hear).
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

67 faster than 352 ????? not a chance !!!!!! 352 is a purpose built racer,67 stock airframe.... takes a whole lot of h/p to overcome better aerodynamics mods.....67 will be faster but not blue fast
            Jim Adams
            Blue Thunder 2 crew
            Picabo race 51 crew
            Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

Originally posted by rc38pilot View Post
              67 faster than 352 ????? not a chance !!!!!! 352 is a purpose built racer,67 stock airframe.... takes a whole lot of h/p to overcome better aerodynamics mods.....67 will be faster but not blue fast
              Keyword "comparable", how much aerodynamic mod does Blue 2 have on 67? Scoop the same, wings look the same, canopy same,....
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

How About Race 47 Bob Mills.

Comment

Originally posted by coxtrot View Post
                  How About Race 47 Bob Mills.
                  If that plane matches up with Jeff's then there's no reason it shouldn't. Maybe that's what Race 5 was alluding to..?
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

If that plane matches up with Jeff's then there's no reason it shouldn't. Maybe that's what Race 5 was alluding to..?
                    Nope.

Comment

This year should be another good one for Sport class and I had some questions I bet some others have and some of you probably know the answers to...

...Chat it up boys!
                      Monday, there was aircraft orbiting around APA (Centennial Airport, south side of Denver) running at very high power (and above 10,000') for extended periods (yes, plural). I'm not sure if it was a Legacy or a Glasair III, but it was really moving.

I don't have any idea of who it was, though and I didn't have time to hang out at APA to find out. Any ideas...?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it will take a miracle to get my Super Legacy done. Running in to some development issues. Don't want to show up half done like a lot of people do.. Never works out well.

Even when it is done, it won't be a LaVelle type airplane. Although it will be capable of the same power (I hope) I don't expect to ever run it that hard. LaVelle gets a new engine every other year at least, if not sooner. That isn't in our budget. I'd like to race in the upper half of the Gold, and come back every year, with the same motor, at least for a while. $100K motors don't grow on trees around here.

Karl Grove didn't have his airplane running for PRS, thus no race license this year. Now that PRS 18 is on the fence because of proposed runway closures, it may be a while before we can see what that airplane can do. I'm interested indeed.
                        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                          I'm pretty sure it will take a miracle to get my Super Legacy done. Running in to some development issues. Don't want to show up half done like a lot of people do.. Never works out well.

Even when it is done, it won't be a LaVelle type airplane. Although it will be capable of the same power (I hope) I don't expect to ever run it that hard. LaVelle gets a new engine every other year at least, if not sooner. That isn't in our budget. I'd like to race in the upper half of the Gold, and come back every year, with the same motor, at least for a while. $100K motors don't grow on trees around here.

Karl Grove didn't have his airplane running for PRS, thus no race license this year. Now that PRS 18 is on the fence because of proposed runway closures, it may be a while before we can see what that airplane can do. I'm interested indeed.
                          Hope to see her done one day Tom. And on the point of Karl, I thought it's like a new thing to get qualified the week before the races? Isn't that exactly what Muszala Jr. did in the NACA mustang? I don't think he showed up to PRS at all but he got qualified and was allowed to race last year but just decided not to. Is that only an unlimited thing or am I missing another piece of the puzzle...? Because I know RARA is a lot more lenient lately with the whole qualifying thing as it's a pain for a lot of racers to make it to Stead twice a year so they're letting them get qualified right before the races. Is this not something Karl can do?
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I can't speak for the Unlimited class because they do their own thing.. much different from the Sport Class.

In the Sport Class, the only thing we offer for special cases is a check ride in September. That special case is pretty rare and each one is evaluated individually. In fact, they are far more rare now than ever before.

Basically if we have a pilot who has completed PRS, but not passed due to some issue that we think is fixable/trainable by September, we may offer a September check ride which happens on Sunday before we Qualify. Say your airplane breaks during PRS and you are unable to complete, but you had been doing well up to that point, that is an example for a possible race week check out.

If you haven't completed PRS, and that includes the formation warm up prior to PRS (formally FAST training) than a September check ride really isn't possible.

As a class, we are in a unique position to have way more pilots and aircraft entered to race than we are allowed to bring to Stead. That also means anything that doesn't make you 100% qualified in September means we can fill that spot with someone who is, which is fair for everyone.
                            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

One more thing I meant to add to my previous post...

As a whole, I wouldn't say RARA is more lenient on anything. In fact I'd say it is the other way around. It is a lot more, uh, clinical than it has been before.

Also, at least for the Sport Class, RARA doesn't approve race pilots, we as a class do that. This year at PRS (like every year) we had a murder board of instructors, class officers, pilot standards committee and other interested persons evaluate our entire class of rookies one by one on the last day of PRS. (You'll notice many of us missed the group photo because we were still working) We have a massive checklist that each pilot must be evaluated on a variety of subjects, not just stick and rudder skills, from multiple instructors during the week of flying. All of this leads to a pass/fail evaluation for a race license.

There are no sacrifices made for lack of ability, or attitude, among our pilots. Now, getting their paperwork through pilot registration? That is all on RARA..
                              Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X