If1 come back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If1 come back

As most of you know we had a few years of very low participation in IF1, don't know if it was bad economy bad blood or just very low support from rara and fans at Reno. In years past 2009-2015 we had as little as 13 entry's to race and there was talk of us not being invited to return so that they could concentrate on the ever growing sport class , which made sense to me because they had a model that was working, and don't you think for a second that I didn't think about selling knottygirl and finding me a glassair 3 to go chase lavel around the big track, but I am more of a history buff and IF1 has been around for a lot longer than Reno has so I stuck it out and started recruiting new pilots new planes new everybody, last year we had 23 entry's and this year we are slated to have 30 entry's which is sad because that means 6 guys that try won't get to race, but we are strong again with a full field at Reno and a race in Thailand in November .
    I just wanted to take a minute and thank all the people that keep coming up and saying how much they love the f1s and come out early to watch us, real race finatics that know real racing when they see it, we are still here and we are strong THANK YOU😎

Re: If1 come back

IF1 is pure racing. Planes are essentially built for racing. The F-1
    s have been around since Reno started back in 1964 and were actually racing before Reno was even thought of.
    Thank you for hanging in there and recruiting new planes and pilots, I for one love the F-1's.
    Now how bout working on the unlimited's and building it back up

Brian

Comment

Philip or filip (as Starbucks calls you), Formula 1 is the soul of air racing. It has become an obsession to watch all of the current builds going on. Building your own racer and competing has to be the ultimate thrill. Thank you for bringing these incredible planes and pilots to Reno.

Comment

A true dedication.

You'all are rock stars.

Comment

Yes. Thanks to Philip & "Knotty Girl" the IFI group is building back up. After the end of the Cleveland Air Races the FI's still raced at the Cleveland Lakefront Airport & drew a good crowd. Prior to the Warbirds racing all planes were home built & one of a kind. Aviation in a lot of respects wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for the innovation's made by the people building race planes.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

I really enjoy the IF1 class and think Reno wouldn't be the same without them. One of these years they need to have the top 3 unlimited drivers against the top three IF1 in a grudge race!
            Random Air Blog

Comment

My dad and I have been coming to the races for more than 20 years, and there is no way we'd miss the early morning racing. We appreciate all you guys do to be there and race. And we really like spending time in the F1 pits. We are so glad to see the class building up again.

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                As most of you know we had a few years of very low participation in IF1, don't know if it was bad economy bad blood or just very low support from rara and fans at Reno. In years past 2009-2015 we had as little as 13 entry's to race and there was talk of us not being invited to return so that they could concentrate on the ever growing sport class , which made sense to me because they had a model that was working, and don't you think for a second that I didn't think about selling knottygirl and finding me a glassair 3 to go chase lavel around the big track, but I am more of a history buff and IF1 has been around for a lot longer than Reno has so I stuck it out and started recruiting new pilots new planes new everybody, last year we had 23 entry's and this year we are slated to have 30 entry's which is sad because that means 6 guys that try won't get to race, but we are strong again with a full field at Reno and a race in Thailand in November .
                I just wanted to take a minute and thank all the people that keep coming up and saying how much they love the f1s and come out early to watch us, real race finatics that know real racing when they see it, we are still here and we are strong THANK YOU��
                So much of the recent success of the IF1 class is due to the energy you've put into it.

And even from an outsider's perspective, I can see that other IF1 racers are under construction. That is, the class is about to get bigger (I'm in the planning stages of one, myself).

Comment

You guys are to kind, I love what I get to do

Comment

Thanks to all of you that come out early to watch us race. The grandstands are awfully empty sometimes early in the week when we recover planes. As an FYI I met Phil through AAFO and started crewing for him in 2010 when he decided to give a couple of fans a chance to get involved in IF1. Been with him and Knotty Girl ever since then. Along the way I got to be a part of the Warlock tribute and got to play with some other historic planes including Invictus, Judy and El Bandito.
                    Added a few pics of the crew of the year trophy we won in 2014. Each crew is supposed to add something to the trophy to "personalize" it , didn't take long for the Knotty Girl beer bottle I added to disappear when they took it to add the next years winners' names. The gentleman on the right in the first picture is Kevin Emley, he and the crew of Margaret June won crew of the year the year before us.
                    Come on by the hangar and say hi in Sept. !
                    Russ
                    Attached Files
                    Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Working...
                    X