Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Updates

Hey all,
    Looking into camping options for race week for a buddy. I know St. Michael's and the Optimists lot were popular. Are they still in the business of providing spots? Buddy will be contacting the church directly but thought I'd reach out to the good folks on AAFO for some first-hand feedback.

V/r,
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: Camping Updates

Church still does it. There are closer, and in my opinion, better, options now.

Camped with St Micheal's for years. Never again. Being kicked awake saturday morning by their psycho "security guard" was the last straw. Two or three lots towards the pits from where the pylon judges (you I imagine) camp is a lot run by a local family. They take very good care of us.

Comment

The psycho security guy is long gone. The gentleman they've used for the last couple years is very nice, in fact he usually has dinner with us a few nights during race week.
      Last edited by supercub; 06-20-2017, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Does nothing to change the fact that I was physically assaulted awake to be screamed at for something that had nothing to do with, told the police were on their way and we had 5 minutes to pack up and leave, and that we would not be getting the $400 or so dollars of mine they had back. I had been camping with the church for over a decade. I eventually got my money back and a huge apology, but actions have consequences.

I will never camp with them again and I will tell this story every opportunity I get. That church would be as poor as a Congolese mission if it weren't for race week. They would do better to take care of the people who pay way too much money for the privilege of taking up a 200 sf of a dirt field they dont even own.

Comment

Appreciate the info. If you have contact info for the family run lot, I'd appreciate it. At least perhaps he'll have a couple options.

Yes, I'm in the Pylon Judge campground in an RV. Great spot...great times.

Cheers and thanks again,
          Owen Ashurst

Comment

You just have to walk over and talk to them. They dont really have a web presence or anything like that. The lot has yet to be filled up and there is lots of room.

Comment

Copy that....thank you, sir.

Cheers!
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

I used to be a regular camper at the races from 1980-1998, but haven't had the time to be back. I used to stay in the Optimist lot just South of the pits. Is this the lot you are referring to as having been sold off to a different group? I plan on making it this year, but don't want to chance not having a camp spot by not reserving something beforehand.

Does anyone have any additional information on the private lot near the pit entrance? A phone number, or some other way to contact them?

Is the Optimist lot still a decent place to camp with an RV?

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pt17av8r View Post
                  I used to be a regular camper at the races from 1980-1998, but haven't had the time to be back. I used to stay in the Optimist lot just South of the pits. Is this the lot you are referring to as having been sold off to a different group? I plan on making it this year, but don't want to chance not having a camp spot by not reserving something beforehand.

Does anyone have any additional information on the private lot near the pit entrance? A phone number, or some other way to contact them?

Is the Optimist lot still a decent place to camp with an RV?

Thanks,

Dan

optimist lot still there. The lot I refer to is adjacent to them and much smaller than their empire.

Comment

Working...
                  X